Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 9 Organizer only imports one folder at a time

Dec 25, 2010 Dec 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I purchased Elements 9 after not being happy with the products included with my camera's.

System is an i950 processor, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 12 GB RAM, 120GB SSD and a 1 TB hard drive.  Basically a system that gives me no trouble with any other software, for the most part, crash free.

I have a home server that runs on a gigabit network.

Pictures folder has about 25000 pictures.

My biggest problem from the beginning was importing my pictures.

I would do an import on the mapped drive for Photos and not all would be imported when I checked back later.

Then the issues increased when I would go in and actually try to import more than one folder at a time.  All that would happen would be that the first folders contents would get imported but the second folder would get ignored.

If I highlighted 10 folders, only the first one would import.

Big big pain in the behind when you have things organized properly.

Also, must say that the organizer portion is buggy.  Crashes a lot, and on a system like mine it shouldn't be slow to react which it is.

Haven't even got to the editor portion yet.  Hope it isn't worse.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2011 Jan 24, 2011

Hello all,

First off, I would like to thank RDNelson for his very insightful remarks about the importance of settings when working with networks. More than just the physical capabilities of the hardware must be taken into consideration. I am not trying to say that you cannot use a network with PSE, just that it is not recommended. When you start to encounter issues it is best to go back to the basics to find out where the issue arises. Taking a network out of the equation will help tremendously

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 150 Replies 150
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really a reply, but I have a similar issue to you.

I'm using Elements Organiser 9 with Vista. The Auto Analyser doesn't seem to work properly. If I start it manually, it just sits at 0% complete for ever. If I let it go in the background, it appears to be analysing, but eventually I will get an error box come up and auto-analysing stops. Facial pattern recognition seems to have stopped workin when it did at first.

What is of interest here though is that I have found that Files have been imported, but there are no thumbnails to show for it in many cases. I've tried to reimport the files, but it comes back and says that they are already there!! I don't know how to force Elements to re-recognise these files and display them.

Any suggestions welcome even if it means rebuilding the database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am more than happy to comment that the ElementsAutoAnalyzer will consume (at least on my Vista Business system) 1.4GB of physical memory and the same of virtual memory as it goes about its task to autotag 9,000 photos.  In fact, I can trace it's memory utilization whilst it runs in the background, never releasing any of it.  I eventually have to kill the process to return the memory to the system.  To ensure the issue does not repeat itself, I've since disabled the autotagging feature within the Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a solution either but I do have a similar problem with my PSE 9 Organizer.  I am running on a MAC with 5 GB RAM and a 1 TB hard drive.  I have never had problems with previous versions of PSE.  A lot of my pictures won't import into my folders and when I try, it starts to import the pictures, and then I get an error message saying that the files types aren't supported or the pictures are already there.  When I go and look in Finder, the pictures are there and they are small .jpg pictures but I can't access them through the Organizer.  I have tried to reconnect missing pictures several times, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice (now on my third time), repaired and optimized the Organizer talked to support a couple of times and it's still not working.  If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.  This particular version of PSE is the 1st one for the MAC that doesn't have Bridge but uses the Organizer instead.  I never had problems using Bridge and I actually prefer it; so I am at the point of returning PSE 9 since it is not working like advertised, Adobe should have left Bridge in PSE and not messed with a good thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2010 Dec 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, regarding not being able to display the thumbnails in Organiser despite it claiming that the file is already there when reimporting. I tried moving the files around to different folders and they still wouldn't present thumbnails.

So I opened Photoshop Elements 9 and opened the 'difficult' jpg files individually without problem and then resaved them with an extra '1' in the filename.

Guess what? Organiser now recognises them and I now have the thumbnails for the new files. The old files are still not recognised.

That's all fine if you know which thumbnails are not being shown, but that could be a lot of effort. So what is peculiar about the original files because I can't tell?

Can anyone from Adobe explain what the problem is??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have same proplem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hate to merely chime in with, Me-Too, but ...

I'm novice enough at both computers AND photo editing that I'm not even sure what the problem is that I've got.

Installed PSE9 last week -- have been using very-quick and not-too-terribly-dirty Picasa for a few years -- spoiled by the blazinlgly fast path to basic, decent editing, but I need more horsepower.  When first installed, PSE9 grabbed the five- or six-hundred images that were on a camera.  I played around with a few editing features -- going back and forth between the organizer and the editor,  just trying to get a feel for the new territory.

Wanting to experiment with some of my older pictures, I brought everything in my picture folder (several thousand) into PSE9 just now.  Organizer is overwhelmed.

The "Elements Backup/Synchronization Agent"  is spinning away fulltime.

I'm told that I have exceeded the 2GB capacity of my on-line storage, but the program is locked up so I can't "Manage" that account. (This feature was meaningless to me, anyway.)

I'm unable to do ANYTHING in Organizer or I would try to remove the bulk of the photos that seem to have caused the problem.

Any way to remove photos from the Organizer while the organizer is constipated?

Will and uninstall/install do it?

Thanks --

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2010 Dec 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you realise that PSE9 organizer in Folder View mode is now only able to display one folder at a time? Ypu have to select each folder in turn to see their contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Yes -- I can see the contents -- it's that Organizer is frozen in the screen that's displaying the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I suspect that some knowledge of the Adobe file system is needed. I would be inclined to uninstall Photoshop Elements/Analyser and make sure that the folders in C:/ProgramData/Adobe/Elements Organiser all disappear. If not, clear them out after uninstalling.

After reinstalling, I would turn off the Synchronisation Online as this always struck me as going to give problems with large numbers of photos. Also the 'Run Autoanalyser at startup' is a pain as it gobbles CPU time.

I found this extract which may be of help:

PROBLEM: Catalog backup fails to completely back up my catalog.
ANSWER: If catalog backup fails, stop the following background processes from Elements Organizer: Auto Analyzer and Backup/Sync to Photoshop.com. Turn off any antivirus program that may be running for a brief while and then attempt to back up your catalog.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Phil,

Uninstall, etc is scheduled first thing this morning.

Not even an amateur, I probably barely qualify as a dilettante in the realm of computers and apps.

Just like my car, I don't know/care how it works -- I just want to turn the key and get from here to there quickly, quietly, and comfortably.  I enjoy having a high performance car and doing the driving, even serious or sophisticated driving -- I'm an excellent driver -- I just don't want to have to have any mechanical or engineering skills in order to prepare or maintain the car.

Looking forward to PSE9 letting me get into the darkroom.

Denny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 02, 2011 Jan 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, my original reason for buying this package was for the organization aspect.  I have a Canon and a Sony camera and their included software has issues as well.

Now my biggest issue, especially with the multi step fix posted above, is THAT WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS!!!

I am so tired of rich companies like Adobe that overprotect their software, who don't produce a finished product.

Organizer should work as advertised.

It is obvious that they have problems.

If certain parts should be turned off, then maybe they shouldn't be included in the first place.

I shouldn't have to go step by step through all of my folders to add my pictures.  I went through a lot of work to put them on the same network share.

Come on Adobe.  Step up and fix this Organizer or let us return the product for a credit because the future shop I go to doesn't allow any open software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In answer to the original question, I found this article on how to rebuild the Catalogue, which is supposed to sort out corrupted databases. I haven't tried it yet!!

Troubleshoot catalog issues | Elements 6, 7, 8, or 9 Organizer

The Elements Organizer stores information about your photos and other media files in catalog files. When you use the Elements Organizer, the application accesses your catalog file. It also accesses the catalog when you save files from Adobe Premiere Elements or the Photoshop Elements Editor with the Include In The Organizer option selected. Use the steps below to help resolve errors and other issues that occur if your catalog file or one of its support files is damaged.

Before you begin

To benefit most from this information, perform the tasks below in the order they are listed. After you complete each task, try to re-create the problem.

The tasks below require you to open the Elements Organizer Catalog Manager. To do so, use one of the following methods:

• Open the Elements Organizer, and then choose File > Catalog.
  • Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard as you launch the Elements Organizer. Release the Shift key when the Catalog Manager window appears.

Optimize your catalog and rebuild its thumbnail cache

To reduce the amount of space that your catalog uses and improve its performance, use the Optimize function of the Catalog Manager.Optimizing also corrects problems with the way thumbnails appear in the Organizer.

1. Make sure that Premiere Elements and the Photoshop Elements Editor are closed.
  2. Open the Catalog Manager.
  3. In the Catalog Manager, select the catalog that you want to optimize.
  4. Click Optimize.

This process takes time, especially if you have a large catalog. A dialog notifies you when your catalog and its thumbnail cache are optimized. Click OK to close this dialog.

Repair your catalog

Sometimes, such as after a power failure, your catalog file becomes damaged. To repair this damage, use the Repair function of the Catalog Manager.

1. Make sure that Premiere Elements and the Photoshop Elements Editor are closed.
  3. In the Catalog Manager, select the catalog that you want to repair.
  4. Click Repair.
  5. When the Elements Organizer finishes checking your catalog for errors, select Re-index Visual Similarity Data and then click Repair or Repair Anyway.

This process takes time, especially if you have a large catalog. A dialog notifies you when your catalog is successfully repaired. Click OK to close this dialog.

Restore the most recent backup of your catalog, or create a catalog

Occasionally, a catalog becomes damaged in such a way that the Optimize and Repair functions cannot correct the problem.

If you have created a backup of your catalog, restore the most recent backup of your catalog. For instructions, see "Restore a catalog to a previously saved version" in the Elements Organizer Help.

If you do not have a backup, create a catalog and reimport your photos and other media files.

To create a catalog:

3. In the Catalog Manager, click New.
  4. Type a name for this new catalog and then click OK. The Organizer opens with this new, blank catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so upset that I bought this software.

First, it sucks that I had to buy both Photoshop and Premiere at release 9 to use the organizer. I was happy with Premiere 8.

Second, it says you can import catalogs, but I was not able, after hours and hours of attempts to get my PSE 6 catalog in without crashing and disappearing categories.

I rebuilt the entire catalog with more hours and hours of work.

Then the stupid organizer crashes all the time.

I decide to "repair" the catalog and it says there are no errors, but now all my categories are GONE!!!

This is total crap software. You can't even get the welcome screen to go away that wants you to log into an Adobe account.

It is obvious they only are using this software as a teaser to get you to upgrade or buy on-line storage.

It would be nice if Adobe did some product testing first so all my hours of organizing are not lost forever.

Why do you make catalogs that are so flaky that the delete themselves?

Why can't I save the catalog database file instead of having to back up all the pictures with it as well?

The organizer is such a great concept, but you have done a terrible job of implementing it.

It just got my hopes up, wasted my time, and left me with nothing.

I hate your software and hope that you fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen!  I agree with you.  I completely avoid using PSE9 Organizer now, and use PSE6's Bridge product.  I am not impressed with PSE9 Organizer, nor the skills of those who designed and implemented it.  In my opinion, Organizer is just garbage, and it reflects very poorly on Adobe Corporation's professional image.  I have used Adobe products for years, and have always been pleased with their performance, stability, functionality, human interface, ease of use, etc.  PSE9 Organizer misses the mark in all those categories.  I use an iMac, Mac OS X 10.5.8, 4 GB memory, 1 TB internal hard drive.

Adobe, you would do well to listen to the complaints of your customers regarding this product.

Sincerely,

Richard Adams

Email: radams@iglide.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh how I agree!

I bypass Organizer and just open files directly from PSE 9 with "open."

I desperately want Adobe to bring back Bridge for Macs for PSE9 -- which they seem to be unwilling to do.

Shame on Adobe. it could be done for $1.99 in programing cost -- just port over Bridge from CS4 and update the Adobe Camera Raw files ... what a shame.

Dick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up using it.

I use Nikon View NX2 and then drag into PSE9.

I am done fooling around with Bridge and Organizer, they have totally messed it up.

Hopefully they will correct it and notify us.

Otherwise i am sure PSE10 will be the $70.00 fix it later this year.

I still believe that issuing a PC and mac version together may have something to do with it.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 03, 2011 Jan 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.

Funny how nobody from Adobe has jumped in here.  Maybe because they don't have any answers and have to admit that the organizer is buggy.

As a bonus, after installing Photoshop Elements, my Windows 7 media center is screwed up.  All of my videos and photos have been removed from the media center interface and nothing I can do to get it back.

My music is ok because Adobe doesn't touch the music references in the registry.

I confirmed this by using my home server to go back to before I installed Elements and everything is fine.  Install elements and media center gets screwed up.  I am so upset I spent money on this software because I wanted to do more photo editing and thought that organizer would help out.

Ridiculous.

Come on Adobe, help us out here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied to this thread way up the line but just want to give an update.  After spending well over an hour on the phone with Adobe, 3 different times, my problem still persists - which is 1) not all my photos will import into Organizer (even though they are there when I go to Finder; I have also tried re-connecting several different times, 2) Organizer goes into 'think' mode all the time and 3) I tried un-installing and re-installing 3 different times, repaired & optimized also.  What's up Adobe?    I should have never spent the money to upgrade from PSE 8 but what I did do, was re-install PSE 8 and I am using Bridge instead of the Organizer in PSE 9.  It's a shame that the product is advertised with such great expectations only to disappoint and that it's customers are the ones who have to try and figure out a work around because Organizer doesn't work on a MAC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could use PSE 8, I put it back but PSE 8 does not recognize my new Nikon Camera,

Which was the reason I upgraded because i called adobe and they acknowledged that the D7000 DLSR

needed PSE 9.

And I have a MAC.

Talk about a double whammy !

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy Cow I have the same problems.  Glad (but sad) that it is just not me.  Thought the Organizer would work wonderful, but alas, it does not.  Any other ideas for a good organizer out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take a look at this http://forums.adobe.com/thread/748720?tstart=0

And then please submit a report/request here www.adobe.com/go/wish

I'm told that the more they receive the more they take notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problems as everyone---PSE9 organizer crashes.  What a piece of crap!  I used the version 5 organizer--no problems. Ever.

Adobe should immediately issue a fix---not a workaround.  Every photo browser--works better---even the free ones! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Adobe.....

Hello......

Is anyone here?

Hmmmm....maybe I won't be there either for Elements 10....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shame on Adobe!  Arrogant.  In Denial.  Unresponsive.  Jerks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines