• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop CS5 has stopped working (Win 7, 64 bit)

May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to run Photoshop CS5 on Windows 7 64bit. Everytime I open the program, I get an error saying "Adobe Photoshop CS5 has stopped working", immediately after the splash screen goes away and the main gui opens. The only option on the error is "Close Program".

I am on a computer with an i7 processor and 12GB of memory. I have two Nvidia GTS 250 video cards, running four monitors.

Over the course of the last day, I have reformatted my computer, and reinstalled Windows twice. I have reinstalled the CS5 Master Suite more times than I can remember. I have also downloaded and installed the latest video card drivers from Nvidia.

I continue to have the same problem every time I try to open any of the programs in the CS5 suite.

The only time I have come close to getting it to work was immediately after installing the new Nvidia drivers, before restarting my computer. I was able to open it one time without it crashing, Once I restarted my computer, Photoshop continued to give me the same error every time I try to open it.

I have no other software installed on my computer. It is a brand new installation of Windows 7.

I have been on the phone with Adobe technical suuport for about an hour and a half, and I have yet to get a single suggestion other than attempting an install with my network cable unplugged. Other than that, they seem to be fond of transfering me back and forth between departments (and asking me to repeat all of my information every time).

As you can probably tell, I am very frustrated at this point and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Trevor

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

My scenario and history:

Windows Vista Ultimate and now Windows 7 Ultimate

NVidia Quadro Fx 4500 driving 4 monitors total SLi on or off - makes no difference.  Drivers irrelevant.

2 x Xeon 5160 (so total 4 cores)

24Gb RAM

PS CS 4 or 5

4 monitors - - yep it is the 4 monitor thing.

Fails everytime as you describe.

Observation - If you Remote Desktop Connection onto the computer - and so in effect are using only ONE monitor - PS works fine.

A WORKAROUND for 4 or 5 - I don't consider this a fix because you l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember reading correctly the PS CS5 support requirements does not support SLI. Try turning off SLI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I double checked my settings and I do not have SLI enalbed. I don't think I can enable it, even if I wanted to, as I have two monitors plugged into each video card.

While on the phone with technical support, we were able to get Photoshop to open by unplugging three of my four monitors. But as soon as I went back to four monitors, it started crashing again.

The technical support representative advised me that this is a known bug with CS5, per his supervisor. He said that I will have to unplug three of my monitors every time I want to use a CS5 product, until Adobe is able to find a fix for the issue.

This is a less than ideal solution, but I can work with it for a while as long as a fix truly is coming. I plan to call Adobe on a regular basis to check the progress on the fix.

I am not completely sold on this being the entire issue, as I have two coworkers with nearly identical setups, except that they both have only three monitors instead of two, and all CS5 products are working without issue for them. They both have the same Nvidia GTS 250 video cards in their systems. I don't understand why it would matter how many monitors are plugged into the video cards, if the same two video cards are still in the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running XP Pro on 32 bit with CS5. I just installed yesterday. I have

an NVida 8600 GTX video card with the latest driver with SLI operating with

no problems .

Tunney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the feedback.

I have compared drivers with my coworkers. One of them is also using the latest version from Nvidia, and the other is using a pretty old driver.

Between my reinstalls of windows and photoshop, I have tried it with the driver that Windows automatically installed, and with the latest. I am going to see if I can download an older driver from Nvidia and give it a shot. There is really nothing else for me to roll back to, as I installed photoshop first thing after a clean install of windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try and roll back your new Nvidia driver.  I got the BSOD when I installed the latest driver.  Went back to the previous driver and no problems. Lot of comments on this forum about the Nvidia driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can ask your friends what Nvidia driver set they are using. That may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with Premiere PROCS5. When I launch Premiere Pro CS5 I receive a message "Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has stopped working." The problem is occuring repeatedly.

I am running Windows 7 (64bit) on a Dell Vostro 420 with Core2 Quad 8200 / 2.33 GHz processor, 4GB RAM. I have a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 graphics card.

If I restart my computer, I am able to open Premiere PRO CS5 successfully one time  - but once closed, if I try to repoen it, I receive the message and cannot open until the computer is restarted.

Hoping my experience may help Adobe with troubleshooting... any ideas?

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now tried the following Nvidia drivers without success:

I can't afford to spend any more time on this problem right now. I am going to have to table this and wait for a new driver from Nvidia, or a patch from Adobe.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a Wacom tablet by chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 Sandman,

Interesting question. I have an old model ET-0405-U that I borrowed form a colleague - but I have not installed it yet on this machine.

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I was just wondering as I have (had) the same problem. It was due to the newest Wacom drivers for Win7 x64.  Photoshop cs5 , Cs4  Lightroom 2.7 and Lightroom 3 beta 64 bit versions will not work!  32 bit versions work just fine. I removed newest drivers and installed ver 6.1.2-5 and now all my win 7 x64 photoshop,lightroom work just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wacoom intous 4 drivers cousing to stop photoshop cs5 64 bit if you uninstall driver it is working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. I receive the error "photoshop cs5 has stopped working" upon closing the photoshop CS5 program. However it will only happens if i open a PSD. If i simply open the program, do nothing, then close it, it will close without error.

i am not using a tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI ... my issue with Premiere Pro CS5 was resolved when I did a clean reinstall of Windows 7, resintalled Production Premium CS5 without installing McAffee security software. Word is McAffee can create a lot of issues with Adobe software.

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a tablet.

I also do not have any antivirus software (don't tell my I.T. department ).

I have done two clean installs of Windows 7.

I am pretty sure my issue is related to the multiple monitors, as it does work when I disconnect three of them and just use one monitor. It will continue working after I reconnect the monitors too, as long as I don't try to close the program and reopen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you did the re-install of Win7, did you select the

format disk option before

re-install? Windows 7 "help

fully" will save stuff before

running the re-install. That can be counterprod

uctive to curing a problem between Win7 and a program

STOOPID CARRIAGE RETURN!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I deleted the partitions, created a new one, and formatted it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem but I figured why it wasn't working for me. My Wacom Tablet. Cintiq 12WX to be exact. First thing I do is uninstall it and once I did that and tried CS5 64bit, it worked perfectly. But then came the headache.

I tried reinstalling my Tablet which worked and 64bit was still working but my prefernce controls for my tablet stopped working. Which I need to set up and calibrate my tablet correctetly. So I go and look up the list of drivers and found 4 on Wacoms site. First one didn't sort the problem but the next one did. But then 64bit stopped working again. Tried the other drivers and led to the same problem.

Ever have one of those days were nothing goes to plan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. That's why I don't like to plan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message "*** has stopped working" seems to be a generic Windows message, so I imagine lots of people will receive it for many different reasons, for many different applications.

I looked in my event viewer and found this error message:

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 12.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4bbc5b10

Faulting module name: ScCore.dll, version: 4.1.23.7573, time stamp: 0x4b915b54

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000002500f

Faulting process id: 0x35b0

Faulting application start time: 0x01caf20e1b087557

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\ScCore.dll

Report Id: 5a9169c5-5e01-11df-b29c-001fbc016de7

This doesn't mean anything to me, but maybe it will to someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming ScCore.dll to to ScCoreBAK.dll allowed photoshop to open for me.

Also removing the plugin file Ai complains about from its folder allows it to start though it does produce an error.

All my Adobe apps are bonkers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from my event viewer:

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 12.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4bbc5b10

Faulting module name: atio6axx.dll, version: 6.14.10.9262, time stamp: 0x4b59af70

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000081333c

Faulting process id: 0x110c

Faulting application start time: 0x01caefe0bcc2050f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atio6axx.dll

Report Id: 04f02b43-5bd4-11df-8e5b-1c4bd60890f7

googled: atio6axx.dll and found this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/62873-closing-photoshop-shows-error-reliability-history.html

a similar issue with PS CS4. Problem was resolved by rolling back video card driver. didnt help me though.

i have a 1gb ati hd 5470 vid card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall the video card driver, restart your sistem into Safe Mode, run DriverSweeper to get rid of the leftovers and then reinstall the latest (or whatever) video card driver

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion.

I downloaded driver sweeper and followed your instructions.

I tried the latest offical driver, and the latest beta driver, but both still have the same problem.

I am going to try a couple older drivers when I have more time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines