• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF with page curl effect

Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I understand that Indesign can produce pdf with page curl effect. what if I only have a pdf file and i want to include the page curl effect? anybody knows what's the quickest way to do this? Is there any way to import multiple pdf pages into Indesign CS5 so that i can republish it from Indesign CS5? or is there any third party software that can do this easily?

thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You understand wrong -- the Page Curl is NOT available for exporting to PDF.

See http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSE9637270-6B1C-4287-A97B-0EC73859A3EB.html -- it says "(SWF only)". (Doesn't it also say that in the Transition options dialog?)

With that out of the way,

what if I only have a pdf file and i want to include the page curl effect?

See above.

anybody knows what's the quickest way to do this?

See above.

Is there any way to import multiple pdf pages into Indesign CS5 so that i can republish it from Indesign CS5?

or is there any third party software that can do this easily?

Sure. Search for "Scott Zanelli's PDF Import script".

(... If all you wanted was to get that nice page curl in your PDF, you probably stopped reading already.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't there a way to place a SWF into InDesign with the page curl. Then export that to PDF?

It's just a SWF in a PDF wrapper, but it worked. Unfortunately I can't get this to work for me when I try it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you would be better off doing this in Acrobat with the multimedia Flash tool and inserting an [Indesign created page curl .swf] into a PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me? I think you'd be better off not doing it at all.

You wind up with unscalable, unreadable eye candy.

Just my $0.02,

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, the page curl effect in a PDF has no value. For the OP, if page curl is absolutely necessary, produce a swf. And for a truely engaging piece, you would need to take it to the next level, an app or service that adds zooming, searching, navigation, etc. If the piece needs to be a PDF, produce one for full screen view with any page transition that looks just as nice as a page curl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

page-flip offers this http://page-flip.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene,

I downloaded this before and it produces a html file, a swf file and all the linked images are stored in another image folder. I'm just wondering how can i add this flash file in acrobat 9 PRO so that i can have a single pdf file with the page curl effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2011 Feb 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes.. what I'm looking for is a third party software that can convert a pdf file into a "single" swf file (with page curl effect, next, back and zoom button) so that I can import the swf file into acrobat pro and then publish it to a single pdf file with page curl effect. I have tried a lot of third party software but all of them are not producing a single swf file. The swf file has all the images linked from another folder so importing the swf into acrobat pro will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you discussed with your client why this might not be such a hot idea?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine why page curl is a deal breaker. Explain the process and cost to them for you to take the extra time and labor to make it work. Page curl is like drop shadows were when ID first came out. "ooh look." But after a while it's just a distraction. Almost screams "amateur" in most cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I totally agreed and i have explained to my boss about it as I don't deal with the client directly but my boss said that the client wants it this way and they are paying for it so we just do what they want so it's really up to him whether he wants to explain to the client or not and I have done what i could to explain to him.

cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 06, 2011 Feb 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this sample>> is something you are looking for, you may want to check eDocker...

With eDocker, you can create interactive magazines directly from InDesign, with hyperlinks, videos, animations etc... and page curl is there too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, this looks similar to what i want but the final file has to be in a single

pdf file so does this software produce a single swf so that i can import it into Acrobat

Pro and publish it to a pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, eDocker uses SWF files that InDesign exports... but there is also a PDF version of that file published, if you go to that sample, you will see a PDF icon on bottom-right corner. By clicking it you can download a PDF version of that publication.

Embedding SWF with page curl to PDF is not a good idea. I have tried to get it work for 2 years with no luck. With current softwares and technology it´s impossible to make it work.

If you really need to get a single file with all those functionalities, you can create an Adobe AIR desktop app, and bake all those files inside it. That way you can deliver a nice and clean installer file to all your customers, and they can install that publication app in few second to their computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, wake up and provide the page curl effect. My wife just changed to Mac because of the page curl effect. I'm next. Adapt or perish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff,

Adobe isn't here, just users like you (many of whom disagree with you, by the way). If you have a feature request, make it here:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffWool1,

It's no longer Adobe in charge of whether or not the page curl is added to PDF files.

PDF is now an open standard and as such it is a group that has to approve changes to the basic file format to support page curl.

I doubt there would be a major change like that.

In addition, it would be extremely problematic for anyone to put a page curl PDF based on SWF (which is what the actual page curl is) because it wouldn't be able to be seen on tablets. And SWF files will never play again on tablets. In fact, it is getting more difficult to get them to play on computers.

Finally, your wife didn't have to switch to the Mac just for the page curl. That is a cross platform SWF feature. But again, it is only for desktop devices.

It is possible to get a page curl effect on tablets, but that is not an SWF feature.

Best,

Sandee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In fact, it is getting more difficult to get them to play on computers.

Sandy, your not a Candy Crush fan?

And SWF files will never play again on tablets

Not that it matters, but checkout the Photon browser app, works surprisingly well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most management/sales departments would rather let a product go out craptastic, rather then take the time to explain to a client why a curl effect that changes your pdf to image files might not be the best idea... Typical, see it all the time in the print industry. Gimmicky waste of resources when you could produce something of value instead.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeap, i totally understand that the page curl effect in pdf will not add any value to it and it actually makes the content hard to read as it turns the pages to images but this is what my client wants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, this is what i intend to do but the problem is my client has this pdf with 300+ pages and i can't find a way to place multiple pdf pages into Indesign CS5. the Scott Zanelli's PDF Import script only works for CS4 and not CS5 and it will be very time consuming to place the pages one by one in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i have downloaded the Scott Zanelli's PDF Import script. I works in Indesign CS4 but doesn't work in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ksng77 wrote:

yes, i have downloaded the Scott Zanelli's PDF Import script. I works in Indesign CS4 but doesn't work in CS5.

It will work if you put it in a subfolder named "Version 6.0 Scripts" (without the quotes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. i will try it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines