Skip navigation
jtblake
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign PDF export to network server becomes invisible

Jan 14, 2011 7:09 AM

Hi,

Just upgraded to InDesign CS5. When I export a PDF document and post onto network server, it becomes invisible. I only know this because when I export onto my desktop and then drag into the network folder, it gives me an error message that it can't replace an invisible file. So I found a way to view the invisible file, trashed it, then dragged the one on my desktop into the network folder. Worked fine. I'd prefer not to have to do this EVERY time I export to PDF. Anyone have any experience with this issue? Help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 14, 2011 7:17 AM   in reply to jtblake

Are you giving these PDFs time to generate. CS5 exports PDFs in the background.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 7:28 AM   in reply to jtblake

This hasn't been reported before. I can only assume it's a network issue, not an InDesign issue.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 7:51 AM   in reply to jtblake

I don't believe there is anything in ID that would set a hidden file attribute, and I don't think setting security on a PDF would hide it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 8:59 AM   in reply to jtblake

I am having the exact same problem and it's a pain in the neck if you have a fast workflow. The only thing I have been able to do is make sure each and every freaking time I export to pdf to have it view in Acrobat Pro and then to save it over the top of the invisible file.

Adobe needs to figure his out because this is nearly a deal breaker in a print professional environment. I've just been using CS4 to not have to deal with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2011 5:57 AM   in reply to jtblake

I'd vote a dodgy server. I've had no issues with Mac OS X 10.5.x 10.6.x or Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 or Windows 7 shares.

InDesign has been known to work over the network. I think a patched version of CS 5 has little to no issues working on network shares that I've heard of.

Print Professional is a reasonably vague term that doesn't necessarily mean there is an amazing network setup. The difference between having a clean network setup with collision domains that are not congested and a packet dropping nightmare isn't always apparent. One can have a 60 dollar switch or a 2000 dollar switch and that can make all the difference. Similarly a file store can be a fibre channel beast or a NAS with a gigabit connection. Both can throw out the term gigabit and terabyte and be accurate, but the difference between SOHO grade junky with shakey firmware. What you'll get out of the CISCO Catalyst or HP Proliant in comparison to LinkSys and an HP MediaSmart are worlds apart.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2011 11:02 AM   in reply to macinbytes

I have the same issue. I opened another thread before searching the forum and finding this. I keep all my productions files on an Western Digital external HD. No server sw as far as I know. More to the point, I could export from CS2 through 4 without a problem. Very frustrating issue as mentioned by other posters.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2011 12:04 PM   in reply to Mr. Met

Does any of these dodgy files happen to have a file name containing accented characters?

('Cause our server was updated, and now InDesign cannot see some of these files with an e acute or u umlaut in their name. Windows Explorer can, OS X Finder is in doubt -- now he sees them now he don't -- but on both OSes InDesign CS4 stubbornly refuses to open them.

Odd, eh? Our network admin promised to take a look, as it might have been a transfer problem.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2011 9:20 AM   in reply to jtblake

We have three Mac computers on the same network. One iMac and one Macbook Pro have this same problem. Files exported from InDesign CS5 as .pdf file to a folder on the server are invisible but when saved to the desktop can be dragged and dropped onto the server no problem. However, the third computer is an iMac and it has no problems whatsoever exporting directly to the server. I don't think it is a network or server problem. What else could it be?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to jtblake

I think I found the answer. On the mac that had this problem its connection the the shared drive/server was using Apple File Protocol(AFP) instead of SMB protocol. Once we changed the connection to this server from AFP to SMB all of our Mac computers can save directly to server and the files are visible. I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 10:55 AM   in reply to reled-support

You are correct. AFB/Apple Share will cause files to be invisible when spooled to the server. Reformatted my HD and the problem was solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 11:46 AM   in reply to jtblake
    Brilliant!

Can't wait to tell my wife that! ;-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status