Skip navigation
tklumb@wi.rr.com
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with Adobe Air running eLearning Suite 2 Workflows

Jul 9, 2010 7:17 PM

When running the Adobe eLearning Suite 2 Workflows from the start menu I get an error message concerning Adobe Air.

"The installation of this application is damaged. Try re-installing or contacting the publisher for assistance." At least everything else I've tried on the suite seems to function properly. I've tried reinstalling Adobe Air, reinstalling the eLearning Suite and even uninstalled and reinstalled Air locally vs. over the internet (this was listed as a fix for a similar problem).  Adobe Air, with the exception of the Workflows App. is running correctly as I have several widgets that depend on its use and work fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2010 9:52 AM   in reply to tklumb@wi.rr.com

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately I do not have a solution to the problem and am disconcerted to see that your post remains unanswered nine days after it went live as I have the exact same issue myself.

If there is anybody out there who thinks they can help, everything Tim has experienced by way of troubleshooting, I have too, and I am running Win XP Pro SP3 with plenty in the tank.

Many thanks,

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 6:04 PM   in reply to galvoice

I have the same problem.  However, the workflows worked prior to updating Adobe Air.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2010 12:47 PM   in reply to lilbear34

I uninstalled Adobe Air and then installed an earlier version of Adobe Air I had from a Dec 2009 download and now the elearning suite 2 workflows work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2010 3:54 AM   in reply to lilbear34

Thanks lilbear34. It doesn't matter much once you discover that all the Workflows 'tool' is is a set of individual tutorial swf files that can be run independently.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 7:17 AM   in reply to tklumb@wi.rr.com

Jost had same problem too and downgrading AIR solved the problem.   Will re-upgrade once I take in the content. 

Here's a downgraded AIR installer:   http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/win/download/1.5.3/AdobeAIRInstaller. exe

Come Adobe - don't showcase the fragility of AIR during critical start up points. I thought I had a massively screwed up installation....

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2010 7:20 PM   in reply to chuckej

Thanks for this update. I had the same issue and applied the posted solution and can now view the workflows (which at first glance, seem to be very useful). One note, perhaps obvious, I had to deinstall the existing AIR runtime before the installer you point to would work (it said 'newer version exists' when tried to run after downloading).

Cheers!
    Erik

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2010 2:13 PM   in reply to tklumb@wi.rr.com

I had the same problem and had to downgrade also. Adobe is a bit slow to send a special patch for this application.

We are registered user after all. We do expect bugs to be fix promptly. This issue has been raised in July and we are now in November and the Updates for Air are still coming up and we are at 2.5 at least now!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2010 1:02 PM   in reply to tklumb@wi.rr.com

I've been suffering a similiar problem with the OSX version of Captivate - does anyone know where to find the OSX retro version of AIR?

EDIT: Never mind, I found the archive of all versions of AIR for each supported OS here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/853/cpsid_85304.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 12:28 PM   in reply to chuckej

I've tried installing this earlier version of Adobe Air (after uninstalling the

lastest), however, I'm unable to get the software to install.

I'm running Windows 7 and I've using its' compatibility helper, but it says the application is incompatible.

So then I tried installing it in Windows XP Mode, but like what happens in Win 7 the application seems to launch, but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2011 7:47 AM   in reply to Benjamin Forrest

I've got Captivate working okay with the current AIR but still not eLearning Workflows. Does downgrading AIR affect any of the other programs? I've only spent an aggregate of about 36 hours trying to install this suite not realising my iMac had scratched the install disks yada yada - now that everything except workflows is actually working, I'm kinda inclined to leave this alone. Is there any value added with this that I can't get online?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2011 3:05 PM   in reply to tklumb@wi.rr.com

I installed in January and have the same problem.    I am amazed that this has not been resolved.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2011 7:48 AM   in reply to tklumb@wi.rr.com

I am amazed at this too. Surely a multimillion dollar company like Adobe which is trying to be very customer orientated can afford to get the original creator of Workflows to provide an updated version of the program which will work with the latest version of AIR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 1:48 AM   in reply to mwyeoh

Hello,

To fix this problem you need to use Air 1.5.3

Please follow these steps :

1) Click on Start -> Run -> ncpa.cpl or Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs (Program & Features for Windows Vista & Windows 7 users)

2) Remove Adobe Air

3) Download Adobe Air from this link : http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/win/download/1.5.3/AdobeAIRInstaller. exe

4) Run that installer (Note : Make sure you have Administrator Rights)

5) Once its installer, run Adobe eLearning Suite Workflow)

Make sure you do not update Adobe Air, if you want you can disable the update from this Setting Manager : http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/applications/SettingsManager/Settings Manager.air

Let me know if this helps !!

Thanks

Vikram

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2011 6:49 AM   in reply to tklumb@wi.rr.com

Thank you for share this because I fall in the same problem.

RBS of South Florida

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2011 8:27 AM   in reply to VikramGaur

Thats where the inherent problem lies.

Surely, Abode can update their programs to be compatible with the most recent versions of AIR.

Relying on an old version is the easy way out

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2011 9:32 AM   in reply to mwyeoh

The ridiculous thing is that you don't actually need the old version of AIR or the eLearning link to view the content -- they are just flash files that can be played directly or viewed online on the Adobe website (see below). It is ONLY the eLearning workflows interface that needs the old version of AIR.

Meanwhile unsuspecting users waste hours of time trying to figure out why this doesn't work, and waste even more time if they seek help from the Adobe support team instead of coming here first. The Adobe support people put you through all kinds of ineffective and irrelevant hoops and act as if they haven't a clue what's wrong with this. Perhaps they don't, which speaks volumes. They keep getting in touch with you to make sure everything is working all right (normally a good thing) when there's no way it's going to work all right with what they've told you to do, and you've already told them you're settling for the workaround!

Two Workarounds:

First it's important to realise that the only value-added you get from eLearning workflows is that they are tutorials. They don't give you any added functionality in the programs themselves.

Second, they are flash files with .swf extensions.

Third, they live deep inside a package called Main under the root  Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe eLearning Suite 2 Workflows/[pick your language]. Right click on Main and show package contents. Now click through Contents/Resources/Resources/Workflows (yes that's two levels of Resources). All the swf files are there. Click on one and it will run. I recommend making an alias to that folder.

Alternatively you can go to http://www.adobe.com/products/elearningsuite/workflows/ where you get all the same stuff without some of the fancy intro.

Either of these methods works better than downgrading AIR for this one purpose, especially since AIR is going to just want to keep being updated foreverafter.

How hard would it be for Adobe to fix this tiny, unnecessary interface or eliminate it?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2011 4:53 AM   in reply to tklumb@wi.rr.com

It looks like Adobe has acknowledged the issue and provided a resolution here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/901/cpsid_90128.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2011 5:28 AM   in reply to jhay7777

After frustrating HOURS and DAYs of trying to persuade them the solutions they WERE offering didn't work, and us creating our own workaround. Jeeze Adobe, why couldn't you figure this out 8 months ago?

Thanks for letting me know! Adobe didn't bother....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 5:20 AM   in reply to jhay7777

This would be great -- if it addressed the issue. Note the issue it does address:

Issue

The video on Adobe eLearning Suite 2.0 workflows doesn't launch after you install eLearning Suite 2.5 or Design Standard CS5.5.

What about those of us who are are still living with Suite 2.0. This is still really shoddy service

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to GTSProf

Ive followed these steps on eLearning suite 2 (Not 2.5) and deleting the specified file fixes the problem for me

> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 06:21:15 -0600

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Re: Problems with Adobe Air running eLearning Suite 2 Workflows Problems with Adobe Air running eLearning Suite 2 Workflows

This would be great -- if it addressed the issue. Note the issue it does address:

Issue

The video on Adobe eLearning Suite 2.0 workflows doesn't launch after you install eLearning Suite 2.5 or Design Standard CS5.5.

What about those of us who are are still living with Suite 2.0. This is still really shoddy service

>

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points