Skip navigation

Can't save file - already in use/left open message

Nov 11, 2008 10:52 AM

Latest reply: Tai Lao, Dec 4, 2011 9:08 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 14, 2010 11:59 AM   in reply to labasheeda

Well, you are posting in the Macintosh forum....

Finder == Explorer on Windows

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2010 12:17 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Oops.  As I said before, this was the first forum I found, thanks to Google.  Thanks for the help though.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2011 9:27 PM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)

I've been having this problem too, designing magazines on a Mac, editing PS files from Indesign (via Edit Original). Interestingly though, I've noticed this problem ONLY occurs when I'm working on pages with my "4 column" pages (news pages), and NEVER with my "3 column" pages (feature pages), and yet I can't seem to find any other difference between these master pages. Help?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2011 10:04 PM   in reply to Skworq

That's a known bug in InDesign, though I thought they'd addressed it in a dot release.

If you have the latest version of InDesign, then please let them know that they still have bugs to fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2011 2:10 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I have been having the same problem, randomly as far as I can tell. It is not related to any other program because it can occur when Photoshop is the only program running (I haven't tried force-quitting Finder but will try that if and when problem recurs).  The alert says that file is already open, but there is only one version of it, and how could it not be open.

Some of the time this alert follows an alert that appears when I try to save, which says that the disk copy of this file has been altered, and do I want to refresh (or something like that). I don't know at this point whether that alert always leads to a failure to copy/already in use alert or not. But that is what happened to me yesterday. A file could not be saved for this reason. The only thing I could do was change the name and Save As. Then the newly named file, if I remember right, could save once, after which the same thing happened-- File Already in Use. So I Saved As a third name, and the same thing happened.

Is there some preference that's been corrupted, maybe?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2011 2:22 PM   in reply to Paul-ny

The alert says that file is already open, but there is only one version of it, and how could it not be open.

Photoshop doesn't keep the file open.  Some other application (which can include the Finder and Spotlight) has the file open.

which says that the disk copy of this file has been altered,

That means that some other application has altered the file -- it has a different size or timestamp than when Photoshop last read or wrote to the file.

Finder and Spotlight shouldn't do that.  But older versions of TimeMachine could do that, and bugs in some anti-virus software.

No preference in Photoshop could do that.

But it is possible that some system setting is messed up, or you have some other software running that you may have forgotten about (the chance of malware is also present, but rare on MacOS).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2011 2:34 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thanks for the quick answer. This problem has persisted when Photoshop

is the only program running. Can you suggest any possibility of a system setting that could be looked into?

I think I have an antivirus program, which I don't use, but will

try to resurrect it and see if it can be updated and run.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2011 2:50 PM   in reply to Paul-ny

Paul-ny wrote:

...This problem has persisted when Photoshop is the only program running....

Photoshop is never the only program running. You can view all running processes in the Activity Monitor.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1342

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2011 3:58 PM   in reply to Paul-ny

This problem has persisted when Photoshop is the only program running.

Again, the OS (Spotlight and friends) and Finder are still running.

No, I don't know what OS setting might cause that.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 2:57 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Point taken. When it happens next, I'll shut down everything I can, and relaunch Finder. But there is something pretty odd going on, in that this has begun to happen fairly frequently. And I'm sure it's related to the alert saying that the disk copy of a file has been altered since it was last used (and it hasn't been altered by me).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 3:09 PM   in reply to Paul-ny

It might be related, but I don't know what might be modifying the files on your system other than applications you are using.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 9:02 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

It's happened again. A particular file gets to be unsaveable. Every time I try to save it, it's the same issue-- "file is already in use" message, and can't be saved. Occasionally I get "this file has been altered since you last [?]used it, do you want to save anyway," but if I say yes, it fails to save anyway. I can Save As, but then afterwards, that file also can't be saved. This happens when computer has been restarted, no applications have been launched besides Photoshop, and Finder has been force restarted as well.  At the same time, other files I create can be saved with no problem.  However, I created and saved a new file, then dragged all layers from the problem file into it, and suddenly that file also couldn't be saved. Doesn't it seem like some kind of corruption inside the file, rather than that another actual application is really altering or claiming it?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 8:10 AM   in reply to (Greg_Vaughn)

im a win7 user and i have this problem awhile ago, i think that there is no problem with the program or the file itself, i think its the window explorer.

i solved the problem by terminating explorer.exe in task manager, after that i can save the file without any problem..(re-open explorer by typing explorer.exe at [File -> New Task] in Task Manager).

sorry, I know its an old thread..just in case anyone have the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 9:08 AM   in reply to BoBalls

BoBalls wrote:

im a win7 user…

…sorry, I know its an old thread…

Well, it's nice of you to share this.  However, this is not only an old thread, but you are posting in the Photoshop Macintosh forum, where there is no "Task Manager", no "explorer.exe", etc.  

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)