Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Export book to PDF

Feb 11, 2011 2:32 PM

I have a small book setup using IDCS5's book feature. It has four chapters. I have it set up so that the first page of each chapter starts on an odd (right) page and have ID set to insert a blank page to accomplish this (I want each chapter to start on an odd page with a blank page to the left). Anyway, it works fine. The question I have is that when exporting to PDF (as spreads) I get the last page of each section (blank page) and the first page of the new chapter as single pages, rather than spreads. I would like them to be in spreads so the client can see the side by side pages, especially the chapter start pages. Can't seem to find a way for ID to create the PDF of the whole book so that it spans the chapters as if they are one document.

Any suggestions or is this just not doable.

Jeff

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2011 3:10 PM   in reply to posterns

ID can't combine pages from two different documents to creat spreads during export. You could move your blank page into the next file to make it start on the blank left page.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 3:37 PM   in reply to posterns

jfreestern wrote:

I have a small book setup using IDCS5's book feature. It has four chapters. I have it set up so that the first page of each chapter starts on an odd (right) page and have ID set to insert a blank page to accomplish this (I want each chapter to start on an odd page with a blank page to the left). Anyway, it works fine. The question I have is that when exporting to PDF (as spreads) I get the last page of each section (blank page) and the first page of the new chapter as single pages, rather than spreads. I would like them to be in spreads so the client can see the side by side pages, especially the chapter start pages. Can't seem to find a way for ID to create the PDF of the whole book so that it spans the chapters as if they are one document.

Any suggestions or is this just not doable.

Jeff

In Acrobat, View > Page Display > Two Page View and View > Page Display > Show Cover Page in Two Page View probably are what you need to work with. Depending on how your document is set up, you may want to show or hide the cover page.

You can set these properties for how each document opens in File > Properties > Initial View. In recent Acrobat versions, you can create and save actions, and run them on files or folders.

Search Google and Acrobat Help for "acrobat actions" and "acrobat batch files" without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 3:46 PM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

In Acrobat, View > Page Display > Two Page View and View > Page Display > Show Cover Page in Two Page View probably are what you need to work with. Depending on how your document is set up, you may want to show or hide the cover page.

That's only going to work if exporting to single pages, not to spreads...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 4:18 PM   in reply to posterns

The first page of a book is a single, not a full spread, in general, so  a single page on the first spread would be normal (though if you are printing spreads it would wind up centered inthe middle of the sheet. You could add another blank page to the very beginning if you like, set the number to anything even to get a two-page spread, select the spread in the pages panel and from the panel menu uncheck Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle, then start a new section on the right hand page and reset the numbering to 1.

You mention printing. You can't export spreads that will be readable on screen in the correct order and then print and assemble those into a booklet. For binding, the pages need to be rearranged, or imposed" into the correct order for printing and binding so after assembly page 3 follows page 2, even though it is on a different sheet. For commercial printing you need to give the printer single pages, and for home or office printing it's likely that your readers will want single pages as well, so exporting singles, then setting up the default view to spreads is proboaly a better approach, anyway.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points