Skip navigation
Edmilson Cruz
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5 - Problem with TOC

Feb 16, 2011 3:39 AM

Hello!

I use InDesign CS5 and all paragraph styles needed to create the summary have been programmed. But at the end of the publication have a summary of attachments and the title "Attachments ", styled in the center, should appear in the summary page. But interestingly, all titles that have the same style "Attachments" are listed in the summary, but the "Attachments" does not appear. It can be a problem in InDesign.

Then, other titles in summaries are not collected by summary page. The only solution I found was cut all the text, delete the box created automatically by the TOC, create a new box and paste the contents of attachments. When updating the main summary, the title "Attachments" with the respective page finally appears.

Is there another solution?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2011 4:10 AM   in reply to Edmilson Cruz

?????????????????

How about some screen shots of what you want, what you get, and the TOC dialog?

I have the feeling you want the TOC to include itself, but it isn't clear, and that isn't possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 5:13 AM   in reply to Edmilson Cruz

What style have you applied to the headings for the sub-summaries? Is it used anywhere else in the document?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 6:07 AM   in reply to Edmilson Cruz

OK, I can reproduce the problem, and I think it's expected behavior. TOCs are "special" in that ID knows they are TOC stories and can update them when things get moved. Apparently TOC ignores any frame with this property, and the only way I see around it is to do waht you are doing. I tested back to CS3 and it works that way there, too, so eihter it's a really old bug or as designed.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 7:00 AM   in reply to Edmilson Cruz

Another option woudl be to add a non-printing frame with the title of each sub-summary and group it with the automated one. They would move together and you could still update the sub-summary, while the main summary would pick up the non-printing text. I use a similar trick when making an Index to Advertisers to locate ads which are placed and have no text that I can access directly.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points