Skip navigation
Chaitangandhi
Currently Being Moderated

Is there any version of Indesign that allows to open multiple instance at the same time

Feb 13, 2011 11:33 PM

I am using Indesign CS3 to generate the bulk reports automatically(programmatically) using Adobe indesign library . One of the key limitation to this tool is it allows to open only one instance at a time unlike word where multiple instances can be opened at the same time. Is there any adobe indesign too version desktop/server which allows to open multiple instances at the same time. Any help on is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2011 11:52 PM   in reply to Chaitangandhi

Try Window>Arrange>New Window. This should solve your problem if you are trying to open multiple windows of a document.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 5:12 AM   in reply to Chaitangandhi

No, this can't be done. You can only open one instance of InDesign.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 7:14 AM   in reply to Chaitangandhi

Chaitangandhi wrote:

I am using Indesign CS3 to generate the bulk reports automatically(programmatically) using Adobe indesign library . One of the key limitation to this tool is it allows to open only one instance at a time unlike word where multiple instances can be opened at the same time. Is there any adobe indesign too version desktop/server which allows to open multiple instances at the same time. Any help on is appreciated. Thanks.

One possible solution is to install ID on a virtual machine - Parallels, VMware Fusion, etc - on the same system, with the same OS that's on the original machine. At least with Parallels on Mac, either ID on the Mac or Windows side can open and work with files created by the version on the other OS. I can't speculate whether this will permit the kind of interaction you need for your purpose.

You might want to examine the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for any prohibition against using these two instances at the same time with the same license; the license does permit two installs for the same user that are not used simultaneously. If you want to use a single-user license in the role of a server, also check the EULA.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 7:32 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

What part of non-simultaneous usage is confusing? Opening two instances of the application on the same license at the same time would be a violation.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 8:51 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

P Spier wrote:

What part of non-simultaneous usage is confusing? Opening two instances of the application on the same license at the same time would be a violation.

Some folks don't know of this limitation. Also, it's worth looking up the issue of using a single license as a server, in the EULA.

And, I'd think it is legal to use two or more single-user installations on the same machine, in different virtual machines, if each one has its own license, though there may be the server-usage issue to be resolved.

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 9:02 AM   in reply to Chaitangandhi

There are two licensing models for ID Server. One allows for single instances and the other allows for multiple instances.

The single instance license is about $20,000, while the multiple instance license is close to $40,000...

Not intended for your average desktop user...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to Harbs.

Harbs. wrote:

There are two licensing models for ID Server. One allows for single instances and the other allows for multiple instances.

The single instance license is about $20,000, while the multiple instance license is close to $40,000...

Not intended for your average desktop user...

Harbs

A Google search for "InDesign server license agreement" without quotes turns up some interesting links.

These two may be useful:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/328674

http://www.adobe.com/products/indesignserver/buildsolution/

There's a link in one of them to two threads that discuss outputting PostScript to an Acrobat watched folder, which processes the .ps files into PDF. Although it's not mentioned specifically in them, there's the same server issue in Acrobat, namely, a single license can't be used as if it were a server.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 12:33 PM   in reply to Chaitangandhi

What exactly are you doing that requires to have multiple instances that could not be done sequentially, or reverting back to the saved document after some script is run? Or perhaps duplicating the document several times? Maybe whatever script you are running could be designed in a different way, to save sets of data or write certain things to temporary text files.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 3:25 PM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

@PeterG

You said "You might want to examine the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for  any prohibition against using these two instances at the same time with  the same license; the license does permit two installs for the same user  that are not used simultaneously." I thought that meant you had read the EULA. It's pretty unambiguous on that point.

For everyone's edification about multiple installations and server use with a standard license here's the relevant text:

2. Software License.
    If you obtained the Software and any required serial number(s) from Adobe or one of its authorized
    licensees and as long as you comply with the terms of this agreement, Adobe grants you a non-exclusive
    license to install and use the Software in a manner consistent with its design and Documentation and as
    further set forth below. See Section 16 for specific provisions related to the use of certain products and
    components, for example font software, Acrobat, After Effects, Adobe Presenter, Contribute, Adobe
    Device Central, Flash Player, Flash Builder, and Adobe Runtimes.

2.1 Limited Use. The Software, or portions of the Software, may allow installation and use without a serial
    number. If so, you may install but not use such non-serialized Software on any number of Computers as
    part of an organizational deployment plan. Further, you may install and use such non-serialized Software
    on any number of Computers for demonstration, evaluation and training purposes only and only if any
    Output Files or other materials produced through such use are used only for internal, non-commercial and
    non-production purposes. You may not use such non-serialized Software after any applicable time-out
    period has ended, unless you input a valid serial number under Section 2.2. ACCESS TO AND USE OF
    ANY OUTPUT FILES CREATED WITH SUCH NON-SERIALIZED SOFTWARE IS ENTIRELY AT
    YOUR OWN RISK.

2.2 General Use. You may install and use one copy of the Software only on the Permitted Number of your
    compatible Computers into which you enter a valid serial number.

2.3 Distribution from Server. You may copy an image of the Software onto Computer file server(s) within
    your Internal Network for the purpose of downloading and installing the Software onto Computers within
    the same Internal Network for use as permitted by Section 2.1 and 2.2.

2.4 Server Use. You may install the Software on Computer file server(s) within your Internal Network only
    for use of the Software initiated by an individual from a Computer within the same Internal Network only
    as permitted by Section 2.2. The total number of users (not the concurrent number of users) able to use the
    Software on such Computer file server(s) may not exceed the Permitted Number.
    By way of example, the foregoing does not permit you to install or access (either directly or through
    commands, data or instructions) the Software: (a) from or to a Computer not part of your Internal Network,
    (b) for enabling Web hosted workgroups or services available to the public, (c) by any individual or entity
    to use, download, copy or otherwise benefit from the functionality of the Software unless licensed to do so
    by Adobe, (d) as a component of a system, workflow or service accessible by more than the Permitted
    Number of users, or (e) for operations not initiated by an individual user (e.g., automated server
    processing).

2.5 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the important restrictions set forth in Section 2.6, the
    primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.2 (“Primary User”) may
    install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a
    Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not
    used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

2.6 Restrictions on Secondary Use by Volume Licensees. If the Software was obtained under an Adobe
    volume license program (currently known as Adobe Open Options) by any licensee other than an
    educational volume licensee, the second copy of the Software made under Section 2.5 must be used solely
    for the benefit and business of that volume licensee. For more information about secondary use by volume
    licensees, please visit our Web Site at http://www.adobe.com/go/open_options.

There is also language stating that if you have a dual boot or other system capable of running more than one OS you will need a separate license for each platform if you want to run the software on more than one.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 7:21 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

P Spier wrote:

@PeterG

You said "You might want to examine the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for  any prohibition against using these two instances at the same time with  the same license; the license does permit two installs for the same user  that are not used simultaneously." I thought that meant you had read the EULA. It's pretty unambiguous on that point.

For everyone's edification about multiple installations and server use with a standard license here's the relevant text:

snipped  "the relevant text"

There is also language stating that if you have a dual boot or other system capable of running more than one OS you will need a separate license for each platform if you want to run the software on more than one.

Arrrrrghhhhhhh!!!!! This is the reason that I suggest folks check the EULA directly. I don't think there's a human on the planet who can understand this without hearing "is this right?" in the back of their minds. Probably, that's because the lawyers who wrote it, either had that ambiguity as a goal, or who don't know how ambiguous and confusing it really is.

BUT, thanks, Peter S, for posting it.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to Chaitangandhi

What is the reason behind needing multiple instances of the application running with single documents open per instance?

What is it that makes that different from having a single instance of the applicaiton running with multiple documents open or multiple windows of a single document open?

• If the need is to tile the documents side by side, that can be managed without a separate instance of the applciation.
    • If the need is to have the documents on different monitors, that can be managed without a separate instance of the applicaiton.
    • If the need is to have the documents separate so that one can readily toggle between them, that can be managed with keyboard shortcuts (CTRL + Tilde (~) on Win, or CMD+Tilde on Mac) within the application instead of with a separate intstance of the application.

If there is some other reason, please explain. Someone may be able to help you work out how to make it happen.

-mt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 9:10 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

FWIW, TLP (AOO) licenses can be installed on both Mac and Windows.

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 9:14 AM   in reply to MT.Freelance

What is the reason behind needing multiple instances of the application running with single documents open per instance?

My long-shot guess would be: "Years of familiarity with developing in VBA." It is (was? I haven't paid attention in a while) a really normal way of handling automation in Word.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 9:29 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

Arrrrrghhhhhhh!!!!! This is the reason that I suggest folks check the EULA directly. I don't think there's a human on the planet who can understand this without hearing "is this right?" in the back of their minds. Probably, that's because the lawyers who wrote it, either had that ambiguity as a goal, or who don't know how ambiguous and confusing it really is.

I don't find that ambiguous at all. It says if you want to run on more than one operating sysstem, you need a license for each operating system (and in fact the actual EU'LA is probably clearer than my summary statement in that regard, but I didnt include it because I thought it was peripheral to your suggestion of running the SAME OS in a second virtual environment, which would be covered by non-simultaneous use).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 11:45 AM   in reply to Joel Cherney

The only reason to run multiple instances in InDesign is to handle load balancing. This is a server requirement...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 10:10 PM   in reply to Chaitangandhi

Suppose a user needs to run two scripts, each one takes half an hour. The user has InDesign installed on his/her desktop and laptop. I disagree that running one script on the desktop and simultaneously running one script on the laptop would be considered "using" both at one time. The user is not "using" anything, rather he/she is simply waiting for the computer to finish processing the commands. This user might be eating lunch or running errands, how could you possibly consider him/her "using" two installations simultaneously?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 3:30 AM   in reply to Fred Goldman

Fred,

I'm sure the lawyers will tell you that if the application is running it is "in use."

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 3:33 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Of course, at the moment, there is no communcation between ID and Adobe that would tell tell them that two instances are running simultaneosly on different machines, as far as I know, so it's all on the honor system.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 7:13 AM   in reply to Chaitangandhi

Ah. I think I understand now.

As you create your report, InDesign CS3 is fully occupied. You cannot perform other actions within InDesign while the report is being generated.

You want to open another instance of CS3 so that you can start another report while the first one is being generated.

With CS5, some tasks have been moved to the background so that you can continue to work while the action is being performed.

Perhaps you can test the demo of CS5 on a non-production machine to see if it will function as you need.

HTH

-mt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 10:28 AM   in reply to Chaitangandhi
    This means even if I have server capacity to process more number of parrellel reports, I am forced to do it in sequence just because of this Indesign limitation. Any suggestion or work around on this? Thanks.

Harbs' post number 8 is your best bet.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 11:33 AM   in reply to Joel Cherney

This brings up another idea. You could run the script on one report in CS4 and another in CS5. According to Peter this might  violate the EULA. (Thinks: according to Peter do you have to quit CS5 every time you want ot open a doc in CS4?).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 11:44 AM   in reply to Fred Goldman

If your CS5 is an upgrade of the CS4 license, then technically, yes, you probably are not allowed to run them simultaneously, but I'm definitely not coming over to check.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 11:55 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Right, I realize what you are saying, that I probably wouldn't get caught.

But I am trying to bring out a point. Similar to where you wouldn't start quiting CS5 before you launch CS4; although technically you are violating the EULA. You are not violating the spirit of the EULA. Similarly, a user running a script on his/her laptop and desktop is not violating the spirit of the EULA.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:13 PM   in reply to Fred Goldman

Actually, if the program is processing something by running a script on both systems, I think then you ARE violating the spirit as well as the letter of the EULA. The intent is that a single user should be doing work only only one system per license at any time.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:19 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

But that is my point. The user is not "doing" any work, he is simply waiting for his computer to finish processing all the commands. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to Harbs.

Hi,

what is the technical difference between below licances.

1. InDesign Server CS5.5 v7.5 MLP IE AOO License(TLP CLP LTD 1 INSTAN Per Server)
    2. InDesign Server CS5.5 v7.5 MLP IE AOO License(TLP CLP LTD MULTI Per Server)
    3. InDesign Server CS5.5 v7.5 MLP IE AOO License(TLP CLP PREM 1 INSTA Per Server)
    4. InDesign Server CS5.5 v7.5 MLP IE AOO License(TLP CLP PREM MULTI Per Server)
    5. InDesign Server CS5.5 v7.5 MLP IE AOO License(TLPCLP DEV LTD1INSTS Per Server)
    6. InDesign Server CS5.5 v7.5 MLP IE AOO License(TLPCLP DEV LTDMLTSTG Per Server)
    7. InDesign Server CS5.5 v7.5 MLP IE AOO License (TLPCLP DEV PREM1INST Per Server)
    8. InDesign Server CS5.5 v7.5 MLP IE AOO License(TLPCLP DEV PREMMLTST Per Server)

thanks

regards

sanjeev.K

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to sanjeevmacmillan

You'd need to speak with someone in Adobe bulk licensing sales or a bulk licensing reseller.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points