Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player 10.2 Crashes Browser

Feb 15, 2011 7:00 AM

Hi there

We have a large flash application and can confirm that the new FP 10.2 causes the browser to crash when running our application.

We can confirm the following:

- It crashes on a fresh install of Windows 7, running Chrome [* see crash log]

- It crashes on a Mac (Safari, Chrome, FF)

- It crashes on Linux (Chrome, FF, Opera)

- It crashes on Windows 7, XP, Vista (IE, FF, Chrome)  [** another crash log]

- Turnnig hardware accelleration on | off does nothing (might slightly increase the time in our app before the crash)

- The same app does not crash with previous versions of the Flash Player

- The same app does not crash with the debug player of FP 10.2

We thought that perhaps the crash was due to our app using too much memory and being kicked off by the Flash Player's new 'out of memory' feature: "Out-of-memory management

Automatically prevent out-of-memory browser crashes by shutting down instances where a SWF file attempts to allocate more memory than is available on the device."  http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/features/

But this feature has been around since FP 10.1, so that does not explain the problem.

Another suggestion was this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/789403

Not very useful because we have thousands of lines of code and countless switch statements.

Adobe, what is going on? I've traweled the Flash Player forum & there are lots of questions being asked about version FP 10.2, but no useful answers or responses from your team?

[* Crash Log]

Faulting application name: chrome.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d533e9f

Faulting module name: gcswf32.dll, version: 10.2.154.12, time stamp: 0x4d4bb77d

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x003b9ef7

Faulting process id: 0x950

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcd140681ac02

Faulting application path: C:\Users\cybert\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Users\cybert\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\9.0.597.98\gc swf32.dll

[** another crash log]

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16722, time stamp: 0x4d0c2f29

Faulting module name: Flash10m.ocx, version: 10.2.152.26, time stamp: 0x4d4b5d09

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x003c2637

Faulting process id: 0x13d8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcd13de16cd56

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10m.ocx

Report Id: 2c2a3ab5-3908-11e0-80fd-00238b5cbd82

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2011 3:17 PM   in reply to maziak

go to adobe.com and update

de salud

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 4:22 AM   in reply to maziak

same here...

I updated flash player to 10.2.152.26 yesterday (2011-02-15)...

now When I log on gmail, that progress bars starts loading and just before the end, firefox gives me a message like "A script on this page may be running or stopped responding. You can stop it now or continue to see if it stops running."

it shows up this message a couple of times, about this scripts:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=main,tlist&ver=D9xmHql o.pt_BR.&am=!TucS1utU_i77BeVhwImoshe6cdnItPMyWXiuH8ud5pY1ta9Pr63XyQ&fr i:1571

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/sxibt4dt8hog/?v=mjs&name=tz&ver=yice0ry z0:1

If I click "Continue", on Task Manager the firefox.exe goes crazy, like consuming 200mb, 300mb, 400mb, 500mb, 600mb

then it returns to 200mb, 300mb, 400mb, 500mb, 600mb, and goes like this on a cycle

I´m on a Windows XP SP3, dual core intel processor, 3gb RAM...

The enterprise antivirus is F-Secure, and I can´t change any configuration on it...

Another thing, I tried to unistall the flash player and install it a lot of times, and even tried to

install old versions, which doesn´t worked, no pages with flashes loaded the scripts with old

versions of flash players, like they wasn´t really installed (i downloaded them from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html)

but when I go back and install the 10.2.152.26 again, a lot of pages with flashes works normally...

my problem here really is the Gmail...

any ideas??

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 5:18 AM   in reply to carlospauluk

Hi guys,

I have also the same problems and I tryed everything to find a solution for it. Yesterday I found this forum here. So I hoped that the latest update can repair my flash player, but it failed. Today it`s still the same.

Its really hard, that such a huge firm like adobe cant publish an update that fix the problems. I`m really disappointed about that.

Now we have to wait to the next update. Hopefully it will works.

Bye, Zipfi

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 8:28 AM   in reply to ziiipfi

yeah I just posted another thread about this because I didn't see this. it freezes with gmail, youtube, hulu, anything with video or that runs scripts.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792300?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 9:52 AM   in reply to maziak

Hi, What size is the application you are trying to download? Is it an Adobe program/application?

What Adobe programs are you using in addition to Flash Player?

I would think whatever you are trying to download is crashing your browsers but let me know on the above.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 11:20 AM   in reply to eidnolb

I'm not sure about the original poster but it crashes for me when I'm not even trying to download any other application. I have the full Adobe CS4 but the only thing open when the crashes happened was either Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 11:52 AM   in reply to maziak

This update has really messed up my

browsing. I don't know what

these things are that you are talking about.

I just wish I had not agreed to this duff update.

My question is, Is there an alternative flash player that I can download? It would be great to be able to get back on you tube and stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:12 PM   in reply to omgitskristin

Hi,

Hi, Try turning off the hardware acceleration. If that doesn't fix your problem, then start your own thread and post your computer/browser info with your first post please.

You may want to go to this site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/. Right click on the Flash logo, Settings,
    then UNcheck the hardware acceleration in Display Settings.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:13 PM   in reply to Acenickells

Hi,

Hi, Try turning off the hardware acceleration. If that doesn't fix your problem, then start your own thread and post your computer/browser info with your first post please.

You may want to go to this site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/. Right click on the Flash logo, Settings,

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:14 PM   in reply to ziiipfi

Hi,

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:17 PM   in reply to eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:30 PM   in reply to omgitskristin

Stop keep saying the same thing over and over again about

the accelleration thing. It obviously doesn't

work for a lot of us. This thread is fine. we all

have the same problem. How many threads

do you want on the same subject?

After all, windows means windows, I expect these things to

work because I have windows. Are you saying there is no alternative?

Can I revert to the previous build?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 12:38 PM   in reply to Acenickells

Thanks carlospauluk, I didn't read

your post far enough, So I guess we're really stuck?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 1:16 PM   in reply to Acenickells

Hi Acenickells, This thread was started by maziak and his issues will be adddressed. I understand that turning off the hardware acceleration isn't the solution for everyone, but it is for some.

If you want individual help, then please start your own thread. I simply cannot address 5-10 people on one thread with different issues and computer configurations and will not even try.

Start you own thread and with your first post, include your computer information and browser information so someone is able to have some idea what you are talking about. I have no idea and couldn't even address your issues, if I wanted to, which I won't do on this thread.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 1:38 PM   in reply to eidnolb

I do see your point. All I want is an alternative to Adobe

Flash Player. If it is another incompatable application then I would like an alternative flash player as I like my applications. I'm using windows on a fairly modern PC. I do not see the tie-up between my computer specs and problems with flash player as it was working fine until this update. If Adobe isn't going to fix it then I would like an alternative and I haven't found one. I was just asking.

Anyway, this is too heavy for me so I'll just do without until something works again, or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 7:30 AM   in reply to maziak

Hi maziak, Thanks for the info. First, the size of the application isn't large according to what you listed(est. under 5MB).

Am I understanding correctly that you have a website and the people that come to the website are having issues? I am not sure how to address the issues you are describing. A personal computer issue or a website that you have built.

Just a comment regarding hardware accleration and Flash Player 10.2. Unless Flash Player is Installed correctly into a machine and confirmed, hardware acceleration doesn't matter whether it's ON or OFF. What I see from the logs in your first post is that there is an Installation issue involving the ActiveX Control(Shockwave Flash Object).

I'm not sure if the Flash Player forum is the best place for the issues you are having. You mention users, like many. Then code, etc. Flash Player is not a complicated Install although there is a certain procedure that needs followed to insure success.

Let me know on the above,

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 8:46 AM   in reply to maziak

Hi maziak, thank you for explaining, that helps. Before trying to Install any version of Flash Player, the Adobe Uninstaller needs to be used. This Uninstalls any previous version, then the new version is Installed. One must use the Administrator Account since Permission to Install the ActiveX Control in the IE browser is needed. This is what the Flash10m.ocx refers to. The reason for the Permissions is that the Flash Player Installer writes to the Windows Registry. Flash Player Installs 2 Flash files into the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash plus a couple of text docs, then ActiveX Control into the IE browser. This ActiveX Control is Shockwave Flash Object; not to be confused with the Shockwave Flash ActiveX Control that is for the Shockwave Player, which is a different program.

Adobe Flash Player is always out with the old and in with the new. It doesn't "add" to the current version as perhaps other programs may do.

If the above is not followed, then there would be a problem of course.

Now I am only speaking of the 32bit OS system, as the location of the Flash/Files folder is different for the 64bitOS, even when using the 32bit browser.

And I'm not addressing the info for a non-IE browser.

I hope this helps, let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 9:19 AM   in reply to maziak

Hi maziak, It might be helpful if you posted back the Flash files that are Installed. Also is the Shockwave Flash Object Installed and enabled in the IE browser and the same version(10.2.152.26)?

I always like to confirm that Flash Player is Installed correctly first and then proceed with issues that may cause it not to work.

Using IE, go to this Adobe site and let me know if you can see the Flash logo animation and what version of Flash Player is displayed. The animation occurs as soon as the site opens and then remains stationary.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

There can be other reasons for the Users having problems, but I want to address yours first.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2011 1:31 AM   in reply to eidnolb

Well, really don't realize what Adobe did at the time, but something has to be wrong inside version 10.2 of the Flash player.

My computer worked great until 10.1, but after it begins to hang (ALL the system hang, not just browsers) when trying to play videos i.e. from Youtube.

Windows always becomes unresponsive and I just can turn off the PC. This happens with all the browsers, not just IE (v 8.0.7600.16385). Anyway Flash movies and apps are still working, such as banners or online games. No other software installed after 10.2: the problem came immediately out after its installation... but before everything worked.

These are my computer specifications:

Dell Studio XPS 1645

Intel Core I7 Q820

6 Gb RAM

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Video card ATI Mobility Radeon HD serie-5

Network card Netlink Gigabit Ethernet

WLAN card Dell 1397

System should be up-to-date in all its parts and drivers.

These are the Flash Player's details from IE8 (it's italian but should be good anyway for the purpose):

Nome: Shockwave Flash Object

Autore: Adobe Systems Incorporated

Tipo: Controllo ActiveX

Versione: 10.2.152.26

Data file:

Data ultimo accesso: Oggi 20 febbraio 2011, 1 minuto fa

ID classe: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}

Conteggio utilizzi: 16228

Conteggio blocchi: 12

File: Flash10m.ocx

Cartella: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

I also installed SWF player 11.5.9.620 from Adobe site, but nothing changes with or without it. I tried even to remove 10.2 and go back to 10.1.102.64 (plugin, not ActiveX: ActiveX older can't be installed anymore) but system still freezes both with Firefox (v3.6.13) and Chrome (v9.0.597.98)

Finally, no useful info from Windows Event Viewer, because system freezes and no operation could be performed by user or system. I don’t know if start to trace Windows Management Instrumentation WMI events may collect some useful data in this situation: but if so, please tell me it.

Thanks in advance for support, and let me know if ever exists a better place than this where post such kinds of requests.

Sergio

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2011 9:20 AM   in reply to maziak

Hi.. I came here because my computer freeze again..

.. after installing flash player 10.2.

Why do I install/need flash player?

Because I want to watch youtube/vimeo/etc. My internet is very slow. Its better for me download it first and watch it while starting other download.

The only way to avoid freezes is to use chrome. It is so frustrating freezing while working.

I believe, freezes happens because of flash trying to contact adobe (for auto update or who know what reason.. even when auto update is off ~ I do have firewall ~ cant confirm this, log file freezed too.. maybe I''ll run from vbox later and trace the network ~ either adobe being contacted even while auto update was disabled)

My advice avoid external flash player (thingy that you need to install, especially from adobe), be creative.. find other "way" to download and watch as long as it does'nt freeze!

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2011 9:28 AM   in reply to maziak

Hi maziak, thanks for the info. I have some Family things to attend to and as soon as I am able, will get back with you.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2011 1:45 AM   in reply to maziak

Yes, since I yesterday updated Firefox 3.6.10 and Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 whith adobe flash player 10,2,152,26 I´ve had a blue screen and computer crash three times. When trying to watch videoclips.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2011 12:16 PM   in reply to maziak

Hi, maziak, Well, since you are using Flex and I'm not versed in any of those Adobe programs you may want to check out that Forum also. There are others uses that post there and on the other Adobe program forums.

Whatever the cause of what is happening, it involves that ActiveX Control for the browser. I see the effect, but since other more Technical Adobe programs are used, I can't help with that part.

Good idea to persue your line of inquiry.

Hope you run it down!!

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 10:16 AM   in reply to maziak

in my case, it seems "try-catch" is no use, maybe i should give up flex, and try to use flash cs5 totally 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 4:09 PM   in reply to maziak

hey guys,

my problem: Windows 7 64 bit, IE 9, killer add-on Adobe flash player 10.2 crashes my browser

solution that worked for me: desinstall adobe active x, desinstall IE 9, restart, configure IE 8, install adobe flash player again---> bingo!

now: please Adobe developer, do us the favor and develop a version that works properly, you should be ashamed to release such a crap!!!!!, sorry....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2011 2:36 PM   in reply to maziak

I have isolated some code that will cause your 10.2 (non-debug client) flash plugin container to crash (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/795249?tstart=0).

By finding this kind of code and implementing a workaround (try/catch) the problem should go away until Adobe admits they had a bad

bug in Adobe Flash 10.2

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2011 10:10 PM   in reply to mike_brewer

it's still no use for me, it seems that there are more bugs in "Flash Player 10.2",

my case is a "Flash Builder 4 project" with some different states,

and each state has an "Image" control to invoke an exteral "swf" built by Flash CS5,

when i change the "currentState" variable to swith the state, the browser crashs occasionally

this occurs both in debug version and non-debug version,

both "V 10.2.154.12" and "V 10,2,152,26", and both in "IE", "FireFox" and "Chrome"

(please excuse me for my poor english)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2011 10:23 PM   in reply to ad707718

ad707718 wrote:

it's still no use for me, it seems that there are more bugs in "Flash Player 10.2",

my case is a "Flash Builder 4 project" with some different states,

and each state has an "Image" control to invoke an exteral "swf" built by Flash CS5,

when i change the "currentState" variable to swith the state, the browser crashs occasionally

this occurs both in debug version and non-debug version,

both "V 10.2.154.12" and "V 10,2,152,26", and both in "IE", "FireFox" and "Chrome"

(please excuse me for my poor english)

Yeah that does sound like a different kind of isse. Have you tried with earlier versions of flash like 10.1

(http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/tech/8383/).

If you can isolate the part of the code that causes the crash you should post it on the developer forums. Also post the crash log file.

Note, when you install different version of flash you should also be a full uninstall inbetween.

Regards Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 10:39 AM   in reply to mike_brewer

Have someone notice this is only with mp4 files using h.264 in HD.?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 11:44 AM   in reply to mike_brewer

Don't know for developers, but for normal users as I am the solution Mike Brewer proposed is the best, because the only working one, at the moment.

Anyway, even a stupid downgrade may be hard for inexperienced users, so this may help them:

REMOVE THE 10.2

Download, i.e. on C:\, the Adobe uninstaller from http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash _player.exe, then:

1.choose Start > Run

2.type CMD in the Open box, then press Enter

3.move into the right folder, i.e. CD C:\ then press Enter

4.type the following, then press Enter: uninstall_flash_player -uninstall

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL 10.0

Take it i.e. from here: http://www.4shared.com/get/-G-bCeDf/Adobe_Flash_Player_1002287_Act.htm l

This package contains both ActiveX and Plugin. So install both of them if plan to use IE and other browsers.

If you want to try 10.1, feel free to find it somewhere. I have had to downgrade to the version 10.0.22.87 because, after 10.2, even 10.1 didn't work anymore, freezing the computer immediately after few second of any flash movie. But maybe somebody else will live happy even with 10.1.

Regards,

Sergio

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 12:08 PM   in reply to s.sirgi@engageweb.it

Hi, Just a comment or two for the benefit of not only yourself, but other users. You have elected to Install a version of Flash Player that is about 6 versions old. Each Flash Player update always contains security issues, so all of those measures are lost. This is the same as not updating Windows for over a year and we know many security measures are included with almost every patch Tuesday:-)

I would suggest that anyone having any problem with Flash Player to start their own thread with the needed computer info.

There can be many many reasons that Flash Player is not working with a particular system, depending on the programs/addons that are Installed.

Not knowing what your problems were, I can't speak to them but it could have been a simple Setting that needed changed.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 1:31 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Thanks for reply, Eidnolb.

I already supplied many information about my computer settings and configuration, and nobody replied it at all. Don't know which difference will make to open always new threads, but I will follow your suggestion anyway. Hoping that somebody will read and answer in that way.

Anyway my idea is still that the origin of our problems have to be deeper than a simple setting of the Player. Because I see lot of unhappy people explaining similar troubles, and no solution come available for any of them. And also because the problem sounds to be really critical anyway: imagine what would mean if any widely used piece of software starts to crash the whole computer JUST for a "wrong" setting around!!

Believe me, it is REALLY frustrating when the computer freezes just because the browser start to play an unwanted movie somewhere in the page. And it may produce a real damage when it lose all the unsaved job of the moment (uhmm.. or maybe Adobe will refund us for this?).

So my "solution" is just a workaround, that worked for me on a 6-times older release than the last one. But also I said that other users may have benefit going back even to the previous one. On my pc, it wasn't enough, but of course everybody should have to find and choose the latest working arrangment for their computer.

Sergio

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 1:57 PM   in reply to eidnolb

eidnolb wrote:

Hi, Just a comment or two for the benefit of not only yourself, but other users. You have elected to Install a version of Flash Player that is about 6 versions old. Each Flash Player update always contains security issues, so all of those measures are lost. This is the same as not updating Windows for over a year and we know many security measures are included with almost every patch Tuesday:-)

I would suggest that anyone having any problem with Flash Player to start their own thread with the needed computer info.

There can be many many reasons that Flash Player is not working with a particular system, depending on the programs/addons that are Installed.

Not knowing what your problems were, I can't speak to them but it could have been a simple Setting that needed changed.

Thanks,

eidnolb

However there is also the possible case where there is a bug in the very latest version of Flash (10.2.152.32), on all operating systems and regardless

with what is installed on that system....

Like in this bug for example , the flash plugin 10.2.152.32 crashes on all platforms when it tries to execute code like this. :

function crash(...args):void {
         var x:int = 2,msg:String;
         switch (x) {
              case 1: msg = "X"; break;
              case 2: msg = args[0]; break;
         }
         Alert.show(msg);
    }

This is standard action script code that with all previous plugin versions what have worked without any issues (including beta releases).

This bug is in adobe flash plugin has nothing to do with what you have installed or what version operating system or what version of your browser. It is just a bug in the version of the flash plugn.

To test this yourself try this swf : (http://files.chesscube.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Crasher.swf)

So what possible solution do we have then?

1) Downgrade to one that does not crash? (and use this site)

2) and/or Notify adobe.com and what for a solution? (and not use this site or other affected until adobe fixes it)

3) and/or Notify the site developers or the issues and possible workaround and what for them to fix it? (and not use this site until the site fixes it)

Sometimes, and only just somethings the best software developers in the world can release a new version of something with bugs that render it worse

the prior releases in certain situations. What would be the most pragmatic way to preceed?

Regards Michael

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points