Skip navigation

Lightweight OS

Feb 10, 2011 7:32 AM

Latest reply: Noel Carboni, Feb 21, 2011 10:11 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 14, 2011 11:59 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I got a notice of the SP1 and it's contents several months ago and from what I read, it will be of most importance to new users, that if you kept up with the updates, SP1 will not offer anything new. But of course, that can change and there are things in that which are of extreme interest to big IT users and I understand that for folks like you Noel Adobe etc.

So at this point your machine and mine should be pretty much even. The "pretty much" might be the difference!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2011 8:12 PM   in reply to Hudechrome
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Hudechrome wrote:

Worse! If you disable search and indexing, "Search" on Win7 fails almost completely, except for the initial search on C drive. "See More Results" become inoperable.

I thought enabling Search was all I needed. No dice. I have to enable Indexing as well.

I did a troubleshoot and Win 7 found no problems. Of course not! I was the dummy that disabled it all!  $%&)$!

I figured out, I believe, what I neglected to advise you to do, and which caused the above problems.  I had done it on my system a long time ago but forgot to note it.

Use the Group Policy Editor to enable the GPO "Turn off Windows Libraries features that rely on indexed file data" which is located here:

User ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsWindows Explorer

The description of this GPO is here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744697%28WS.10%29.aspx#WS _TurnOffWindowsLibraries

Note:  If you have a version of Windows 7 that does not offer the Group Policy Editor, set the following registry key to 1:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]
    "DisableIndexedLibraryExperience"=dword:00000001

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2011 8:50 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]

is not on my machine at all. Ctrl F for that string in regedit comes up empty, as does

"DisableIndexedLibraryExperience"=dword:00000001

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 18, 2011 10:07 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Here are more specific instructions:

1.  Click Start.

2.  Type group policy into the search box.

3.  Does Edit group policy come up?  If so, you have a version of Windows 7 that offers the Group Policy editor.  Click it.

If you see the Local Group Policy Editor dialog:

4.  Navigate to User ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsWindows Explorer.

5.  Double-click the policy entry named Turn off Windows Library features that rely on indexed file data.

6.  Change the policy to Enabled and [ OK ] out.

If you failed at step 3 above because you don't have the Group Policy Editor available in your version of Windows, do this:

4.  Click Start.

5.  Type regedit into the search box.

6.  Navigate to:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

7.  If the Explorer subkey does not exist, right-click on the Windows key and choose New Key.  Name it Explorer and press Enter.

8.  Click on the Explorer subkey.

9.  In the right pane of the Registry Editor, right-click and choose New - DWORD (32 Bit) Value.

10. Type in the name DisableIndexedLibraryExperience exactly as shown here.

11.  Double click the new value, which will have been given a value of 0, and change it to 1.

12. Close the Registry Editor.

This is your goal:

RegEdit.jpg

Though not strictly necessary, it's a good idea to reboot after changing the above.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2011 12:40 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Ok, I did the edit as described from 1 to 6.

I want back and reopened the regedit ans actually found the entry as described, where before I could not even find Explorer. WTF!

At this point,  the second entry in your Registry: "DisableThumbs... is not present, only the double indexed library for which I thoroughly searched earlier.

Perhaps enabling it in the Group Policy Editor entered it into the Registry. Is there a way to find out recent additions and their date/time to the Registry? I suppose I could roll back to yesterday and see if it is actually there, but why Find didn't find Explorer in that location, and the one I fif find wasn't in ...Current_User.

So what should I expect to see in performance or other issues?

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 18, 2011 12:54 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

Perhaps enabling it in the Group Policy Editor entered it into the Registry.

Yes, exactly.  You didn't read my instructions carefully; you didn't need to do the second set of instructions (registry edit) if the Group Policy Editor was available to you (e.g., in Windows 7 Ultimate).

Hudechrome wrote:

So what should I expect to see in performance or other issues?

With Indexing disabled, you should see far less disk activity.  You should also be able to search in your Start menu, where you were getting stuck before.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2011 2:15 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Oh, I read it, Noel, I decided to check the registry anyway, and had I not found it (which I mostly expected not to) I would have written back for a way tp understand it's lack of presence.I rather not leave any stone unturned (or is it " no turn unstoned? ).

I haven't extensive experience with the operations of the registry; I have no problems in modifying it if I trust the source and back it up and things like this become additions to my personal knowledge base.

Curious, the Registry. I take it Mac doesn't have one.

Checking the Start Search.......

Edit:

Ok, Search runs as expected. Thanks much, Noel!!

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 18, 2011 2:16 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Glad to hear Search now doesn't blow up!  I have been advising people to turn off indexing, and that one step I missed was important.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2011 2:25 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

It's interesting that a Registry entry which exists somewhere in the OS installation is not actually in the Registry, set for the default position, but only shows up when the function is addressed.

I assume if I want to disable the operation, I could either go into the Edit and disable it or change the Registry entry to -0-

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2011 2:59 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel

Just wanted to report in and say I have had success with your instructions on my Windows Home Premium.

I did not see a group policy edit,and a search of the registry did not come up with the Explorer key under "..Policies\Microsoft\Windows..."

So looking at your posts this morning,I noted Hudechrome reported the same,and you posted more detail (glad I waited)

I did create the key carefully as instructed and rebooted for the sake of completion.

The "see more results" in the Start Menu search works as advertised.

Thanks,

Gene

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 18, 2011 3:51 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

I assume if I want to disable the operation, I could either go into the Edit and disable it or change the Registry entry to -0-

The Group Policy Editor actually exposes 3 states:  Enabled, Disabled, and Not Configured.  I'll bet you can guess what the third one does to the registry value. 

And they all three have different meanings.  Seek out the documentation for Group Policy to see how that works.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2011 7:28 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

It appears that operations in PS have increased in speed markedly. Also, the amount of free memory showing in the resource manager has increased dramatically, even after a memory intensive operation. Previously, I would se 150 to 250MB free, standby being quite large, and now it's 3 to 4Gb free, and the Standby has shrunk, but the total physical memory has increased from 20 to 25% to 37% at the moment.

I also noted that the total video memory is about 3 to 4x the installed physical memory on the video card. I haven't paid attention to thet number before so I have no reference.

At any rate, it's lightning fast now. I didn't see the HD active during the Photomerge test.I gave 93% Memory usage to PS and I see no hangups.

Can all this be due to the cessation of indexing? If so, everybody needs to know this and how to do it. If not, WTF is going on? No complaints, mind you but curious minds want to know!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 21, 2011 2:34 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

Can all this be due to the cessation of indexing?

I believe so, yes.

Windows 7 Indexing is a poor implementation of a bad idea, and you lose nothing but perhaps a little search time when you actually NEED to search.  That can be offset by creating an excellent disk drive setup.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2011 7:40 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I haven't noticed a drop in search speeds, but I haven't paid much attention either. Back when I started using XP, I did an experiment first doing a search without Indexing, then after some time elapsed, tried it again. I saw no evidence indexing was useful but did see that, especially the beginning of indexing operations, other programs slowed down. So I abandoned it.

Creating an excellent disk drive setup. Like what?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 21, 2011 10:11 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

Creating an excellent disk drive setup. Like what?

Like a high throughput RAID arrangement, for example, made of fast drives with big caches.  And (assuming good battery backup) disabling Windows 7 write flushing so applications can run through disk write operations at RAM speed, and the OS can have the freedom to schedule disk operations in an order that makes sense.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points