• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ever since installation of FP 10.2 accessing Chesscube site results in browser crash after a min?

Feb 20, 2011 Feb 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since installation of FP 10.2: accessing Chesscube site results in browser crash after minute or two.  I get an MSN error msg saying sorry must log off now.  Everything freezes up and I have to use "ctrl alt delete" to log off.  I am using IE browser.  Chesscube has over a million users and most are claiming similar problems -- some with other browsers.  Is this a Chesscube problem or an Adobe problem? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2011 Feb 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi {J},

ChessCube.com and its users are experiencing frequent disconnections with Adobe Flash Player 10.2 installed, due to the Shockwave plug-in constantly crashing. Keep in mind however, that this issue was simply non-existant with previous versions (10.1 and sooner) of Flash, and only affects those on Flash 10.2.

We have recommended that ChessCube users either downgrade to Flash 10.1, or install the 10.2 debug version as a short-term solution to this issue. In the interim, we will keep working with Adobe so that ChessCube can run on the regular (and not debug) version of Flash and we'll keep you updated as things unfold as soon as Adobe responds to our queries.

Thanks,

Sean

ChessCube.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chesscube, You think Adobe is going to amend/update/fix the latest version of Flash Player so it will work on your website???? LOL

Try posting the reply you posted here on your website so everyone can see your solution.

Suggesting that users downgrade to a previous version of Flash Player in order to use your website, is not the solution.

The latest version of Flash Player contains many Security Issues, so that is not in the best interest of the Users.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi J, If you have no problem with youtube and other websites, then chesscube has a problem, not Adobe Flash Player. Most likely and this is my opinion, is that chesscube may not have upgraded to support Flash Player 10.2. This happens frequently, so you may want to check their website and ask.

Let me know on youtube and other websites.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eidnolb What utter rubbish.FLASH player has the problem. I have been crashing all over the place because of 10.2 - many different Flash sites. The problem is that Flash automatically upgrades in many cases (for Chrome at least and usually a desktop prompt to download and install the latest version). So your great theory is that Adobe can release any old buggy version and it is the Flash-site's fault for not testing and possibly radically refactoring/fixing code to support the new release?

Well that is BS.

If a site has been running fine for years and then breaks because of a new release of software, then the software vendor should make some effort at least to work out what is happening - then fix their software or tell developers what may break it.

Adobe has been pathetically silent on all of this. This forum as well has been largely useless, not a helpful post to actually help me or anyone else resolve the issue -  actually largely just silence or denial that a very real issue with FLASH exists.

And saying "upgraded" is bizarre. Again, what if the software is worse or there is a real bug? Then it has nothing to do with upgrading but rather the site has to scramble to find some kind of work-around for FLASH's problem.

ChessCube at least suggested that the debug player of 10.2 should be used - so your security point is moot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cfact, My only comment to you is that since you have your own thread, which I have found time to post to, is that is where you should post your reply. This is not your thread and I would suggest that if you want to rant, to do so on your own thread.

Hi-jacking someone else's thread is rude. You have not helped this user whatsoever. Had you furnished any information on your own thread, perhaps someone could have helped you. However, it appears that you aren't looking for help, just someone to rant against.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not hijacking a thread; I am simply saying your answer is rubbish. You put no blame on Adobe at all - just say that it is ChessCube (or sterkinekor or youtube or whoever's) fault and they need to fix their code.

If you feel that my answer did not help the user, guess what? You did not help the user at all, either. In fact, I bet I was more helpful to the user than you were - by at least showing him that he is not experiencing this alone, at least I and many others are experiencing it too.

Your "solution": don't do anything, stay on 10.2 even if it is crashing, don't dare downgrade because of security issues, ChessCube must fix their code, so stay away from the site until that happens.

Totally useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2011 Mar 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CFact,

don't worry dude a workaround is out there. And sites like Chesscube.com have already implemented it.

Eventually Adobe will release a version that fixes this (i hope!)

Regards Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just to make it clear, we have since resolved this issue - without the help of Adobe Support, Adobe Forum Support or the "helpers" around here. Regarding our advice to our users, we had simply -advised- them to downgrade to 10.1, in order to enjoy our site without any ADOBE issues. We were simply being proactive and offering a short-term solution while waiting/expecting for a Adobe response that actually helped (which never came).

Moreover, if you properly read our forum (which you did not, and not for the first time it seems based on your posts), you will have noticed that a USER of ChessCube suggested the debug version of 10.2, which we tested, found to have worked, and offered it as a "quick fix" in the mean time.

Also, we have found many other sites experiencing the same issue on 10.2, simply by searching this issue on Google, or experiencing it ourselves while browsing the web - YouTube videos showing a white washed screen when viewing a video with 10.2 installed, Gmail's "upload" attachment button crashing when composing an email, a local cinema website having their seat map crash whenever it opened.... the list goes on and on.

Here's a challenge - have a look through this forum, and do a simple Google search - you'll the see how large this problem actually is.

Please review your comments, and keep the client in mind. We have done so on our site, and have managed to maintain a large amount of happy users, simply by providing excellent support during this issue. The same cannot be said for the support service of this forum. We don't leave large clients behind because of a "family issue". Sound familiar?

Regards,

-S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

It is in fact a bug in the Flash 10.2 plugin and i have posted details on the bug here : (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/795395)

Fortunately the workaround was simple and we have started notifying other sites (ster-kinekor) with this issue and how to fix it (wrap code in try/catch).

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, mike-brewer, You might want to read this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/796126?tstart=0

I have seen all of the posts to the various threads that you have made. If everyone involved with chesscube, et al were as smart as they think they are, they would have started their threads on the proper forum. The Flash Player forum pertains to the end user of which I help on.

I am not a Developer, Programmer, nor do I write code. If I were, I'd be on those Forums.

Also it is curious that everyone involved in this was  not part of the team when 10.2 was in beta. Now that 10.2 has been released, everyone has the "fix".

Posting code on this Flash Player Forum doesn't make any sense for the end users, least of all to me. I've had enough of the nasty rude insulting comments from CC-Sean and cfact and really am not interested.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

eidnolb wrote:

Hi, mike-brewer, You might want to read this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/796126?tstart=0

I have seen all of the posts to the various threads that you have made. If everyone involved with chesscube, et al were as smart as they think they are, they would have started their threads on the proper forum. The Flash Player forum pertains to the end user of which I help on.

I am not a Developer, Programmer, nor do I write code. If I were, I'd be on those Forums.

Also it is curious that everyone involved in this was  not part of the team when 10.2 was in beta. Now that 10.2 has been released, everyone has the "fix".

Posting code on this Flash Player Forum doesn't make any sense for the end users, least of all to me. I've had enough of the nasty rude insulting comments from CC-Sean and cfact and really am not interested.

eidnolb

Hi eidnolb

It does help if they are also posting a solution to the problem caused by specific builds that Adobe has released recently.

The solution being simply to wrap the code in a try/catch is easy to implement, however that only helps if you are the orginal deleloper of the swf and NOT the end user.

And i don't think everybody "has the fix" yet. From the end user point of view there is no real recommended way of solving this (only problematic ones like downgrading). I guess their only other solution is to notify the site of the issue and forward them a forum link about the issue and how to fix it (eg : http://forums.adobe.com/thread/795395?tstart=0) or just wait until Adobe fixes this issue which may take a while.

Also it is curious that everyone involved in this was  not part of the team when 10.2 was in beta

Please note this crash does NOT happen in Adobe Flash 10.2 beta, or ANY of the Adobe Flash debug clients, or any of the builds of 10.1 and earlier.

However, the crash does accur on the very latest "10.2.152.33 " Adobe Flash Player (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ ) and also the previous stable

builds like 10.2.152.26 on Mac/Linux and Windows

You can try it out yourself here, note this will crash your flash container or even your browser session :

http://files.chesscube.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Crasher.swf

So in summary :

Crash! - http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ (10.2.152.33) - Released on March 1, 2011

Crash! - http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/9251/ (10.2.152.26) - Released on February 9, 2011

No Crash - http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/tech/9137/ (10.2.152.14 Beta 2)

No Crash - http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html (10.2 Beta)

No Crash - http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/tech/8673/ (10.1.102.64) - Released on November 6, 2010

and no crashes on any build before November 6 2010.

Ultimately i hope that does help some of the end users.

Regards Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines