Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X not printing

Feb 09, 2011 Feb 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try do print a document the print dialogue comes up and when okay is selected the program goes through the motions, but nothing is sent to the printer.  When I tried the fix suggested (print as image) and select to print to a file again the program goes through the motions and I get the message that no pages have been selected.  I tried doing the repair, downloading updates and reinstalling, but none of these resolve the problem.  Is anyone else having the same problem and is there a known resolution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, and have gone thru the same steps - all to no avail. Grandpachuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running Windows7?

This could be due to the Printer Spooler crashing..

Try restarting the PrintSpooler service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 10, 2011 Feb 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob,

I'm running in Windows XP. All of the other apps (Word, Excel, Access, etc.) print fine. This is the only app not printing. And I don't know why it is not selecting any pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 14Jeff76,

Is the problem occuring with a specific PDF everytime, or is the problem occuring with any and all PDFs? Could you try printing any other PDF apart from the one giving you trouble.

Also, you had stated in your earlier post, that you had repaired and updated Adobe Reader X. Can you try updating to Reader 10.0.1 (ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.0.1/misc/AdbeRdrUpd1001_Tier1.msp) and then perform a repair operation from the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

Hope this works.

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2011 Feb 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ankit,

This is happening with all PDFs. I did the update and the repair all to no avail.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying out the update and repair process..!!

Can you please check if your problem is any similar to the following post:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3458336#3458336

There seems to be some issue with Adobe Reader X and they are working towards fixing the same.

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. No, I cannot print at all. The message says my printer is not

connected....

yet it prints from Word etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the confusion.

Can you let me know, what is the printer model that you are using? And is the printer connected via the LPT port or is it a shared network printer?

Also, could you post a screenshot of the exact error message that you are receiving.

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would the resolution to this be?  We are able to print documents,

emails, etc., but unable to print PDF.  Adobe was updated this morning and now won't print.  It states that in

order to print or use page set up I have to connect to a printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the protected mode seemed to correct the problem for all documents. Thank you to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Print functionality working fine with other applications such as MS OFFICE?? Or is the same issue seen with other applications as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. I have just downloaded Adobe X. I was on Adobe 8.1.3

All microsoft exl etc print fine! However, while still on Adobe 8 the printing stopped.

I have been using it for years without any problems.

Goung to anvance print etc has no joy either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alanjay,this is what happened to me, as well.  I'm not sure that i was working off the same version of Adobe, but it too suddenly stopped working.  I couldn't download the new version (X) on Firefox, so I finally pulled up Explorer and used it.  Now Version X will not allow me to print.  When I try to print, it pulls up the printer page, I select Print, but up pops the message asking if I want to save the pdf, but i had already saved the pdf.  Then it does not send the print command.  I, too, can print other Microsoft documents.  I'm working on my Master's and need HELP, BIG TIME!!! 

Thanks if anyone can help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the PDF is coming off a web page and you use IE, try disabling the "display PDF in browser" setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but it was not allowing any of the previously saved pdfs or the new pdfs that have been downloaded since I updated to version X. Yesterday I uninstalled version X, and downloaded 9.4. and everything works well. I was using Firefox.

I appreciate your email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.   Unless you want to spend lots of time messing with it, going back to 9.4.x is probably the simple solution for the time being.

I havn't seen this with Reader X, but some people have issues with older versions breaking the "chaining" in the registry for handling file types.  The thing that works (eventually) is to uninstall the existing (and all traces of previous) versions of acrobat reader from the computer, and do a clean install of the current version, rather than trying to upgrade from one to the next.

If I was short on time, I woudln't bother with it until 10.1 or 10.2 is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

once again, thanks...although I can often figure things out, I don't have a lot of tech background, so it's learn as I go. KB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2011 Mar 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff. I'm having the same problem!

This is since the 16th of last month. Ankit says they are working toward solving the problem.

The question is WHEN? It has nothing to do  with your printer spooler etc.  It's Adobe X that is the

problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All:  I'm just keeping this thread active.  Since installing Reader X and trying to print a .pdf file to a LaserJet 5M, the printer prints an error page saying "This job requires more memory than is available in this printer." All other applications, of course, print just fine.  Adobe needs to fix Reader X or move us all back to Reader 9!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mmbetz. Unfortunately, Adobe 9 has the same problem! When my message came up, "cannot find the printer/needs to be switched on" when I was on 8.0.1, I had to "upgrade" to Reader X. When that didn't work, I "upgraded" to 10.0.1, then to 10.0.2. (Amazing... new version, already 2 new updates!)

After this, I found Adobe 9, and installed that!  Nada my friend!  Adobe has gone walkabout, but what irritates the living S@#* outta me, is that Adobe remains silent!

I have also tried downloading other pdf programs, but since Adobe messed up with my printer, I was still unable to print!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Alanjay.  Something is definitely broken. I uninstalled Reader X and downloaded and reinstalled Reader 9.4.0.  It is printing fine once again to my (ancient) HP LaserJet 5M.  I have not seen Reader 10.0.2 available as a download.  I'm willing to wait for 'X.' Good luck to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with universal print drivers and windows 7. I can p

rint to some printers but not others the printers are all HP products. T

he app acts like it prints and says it prints but when you look for the output you see nothing

. I am using adobe 10.0.1 reader.

The print drivers are all 64 bit on a 2008 server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I was having the same issue as all of you, but I was trying to print to network printers.  I am using a windows 7 machine and the server is 2003.  Microsoft has identified this as an asynchronous RPC issue.  The fix for it is to add the following DWORD to the registry:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\

New DWORD: EnabledProtocols value=6

Restart the local print spooler and try again.  Hope this helps some of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your regristery key is not on the local machine. Is this a server issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines