Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot find or create the font ArialMT

Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently I started getting the message when opening pdf files containing ArialMT (typically by PC users) (I am using a Mac obviously and Acrobat 9.3.3):

Cannot find or create the font ArialMT. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

I've looked around in the forums and no one else has had this problem answered. Can't find anything else on the subject that pertains to how to fix it on a Mac, only on a PC using coding.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a MicroSoft TrueType Font.

You'll need to locate a copy on internet and possibly buy it  Though I understand it relatively inexpensive ($25-35).

Then use FontBook to install it.  reopen Acrobat and it will recognize it.  The document then will appears as it was intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. I opened Suitcase and clicked on both of the Arial fonts (one in the Local subfolder of System Fonts, and the other in User) to see if they were corrupt. Neither were. Then I decided to see if I could start eliminating where the problem was, since one of the two Arials had to be the offender. So I took out one in the Local folder and dragged it to the desktop (copied it), then deleted it from the folder. Opened Acrobat, still the problem was there. So I figured, it had to be the other Arial, so I dragged the first one back to the Local folder and wham, it tells me the font is corrupt. Only minor problems though. I open Acrobat, and font displays, but now Firefox won't display any font at all. I close Acrobat, Firefox and Suitcase, start them all up, and blam, all fine.

I have no idea what the heck I did or why it worked, but whatever it was...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could say heck with Adobe Reader, go get Foxit Reader and it will read it fine.

Why sped 23 to 50 dollars when you can get a free piece of software that is faster, better and lighter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt Deckman wrote:

Why sped 23 to 50 dollars when you can get a free piece of software that is faster, better and lighter.

A. The original poster isn't using Reader. They are using Acrobat.

B. Foxit has no where near 1/8th of the abilities as found in Acrobat.

C. This is the Mac forum and last I checked, Foxit was Windows only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh and

D. if they needed a reader only, why would they use Foxit when Mac's come with Mac Preview which blows the doors off of Foxit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines