• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 10.2 crashing - steps to replicate

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that I can reliably get flash to crash by going to this site: http://www.sterkinekor.com/site.php

1. then choose movies at my cinema button

2. then select Western cape for region

3. Then Cavendish classic for cinema

Flash crashes every time during or after these steps for me. Can anybody else confirm this?

This has been a terrible release - all of the Flash sites that I routinely visit are crashing these days - so I am trying to isolate sequences that cause the crashing...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my husband has to do is click on a YouTube video and his computer crashes to the ground

with a BSOD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anybody else confirm this?

Negative, no crash when I followed your steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok... sequence still crashes for me every time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, It would make no difference if I could replicate it or not. What would it prove? If you want help, you need to supply your OS/64bit or 32bit/browsers and versions/Anti-Virus/Spyware programs Installed.

I have nothing to compare anything to in order to even make a guess:-)

Are all websites doing this? Or just this one? What about youtube?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just threw this sequence out there to see if others experienced the same thing - I called 3 work colleagues in different locations with different computers and had them do this and the same thing happened, so thought I would "poll" other users before trying to isolate why my particular setup was at fault.

The other thing is, it happens EVERYWHERE for me. Windows 7 64bit, Windows Xp SP3 32 bit, Windows Server 2008 64 bit, Chrome 9, IE 8, FF 3.6

I have experienced crashes on the main flash sites I currently use: chesscube, youtube (more rarely) and now sterkinekor (well, just use that once in a while to see what movie to watch:))

If this is just me and co-workers, across multiple machines, then I have no idea how to isolate the cause...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cfact,

I saw from the another thread to you too have your own thread here, so I decided to check it out.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and with 10.2 installed on Chrome and Firefox, both crashed when following your steps in the exact order in which you've posted them.

You've seen a "helper" say it's not Adobe's fault, yet I've posted various bug reports in a reply, and I'm glad you've been able to provide a replicatable example. Hopefully someone knowledgable at Adobe will sit up and take note. The silence is deafening.

Will watch your thread for answers.

Regards,

-S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2011 Mar 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb wrote:

Hi, It would make no difference if I could replicate it or not. What would it prove? If you want help, you need to supply your OS/64bit or 32bit/browsers and versions/Anti-Virus/Spyware programs Installed.

I have nothing to compare anything to in order to even make a guess:-)

Are all websites doing this? Or just this one? What about youtube?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Hi Eidnolb,

It does help to test it ednolb, because then he can know whether it is just an installation problem on his machine or a problem with flash plugin in general.

I can confirm that is happened on windows xp, windows 7, mac and linux using IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

Regards Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cfact

I tried it out the other day & did experience the crash. We were also having trouble with our app crashing, which was terrible for new users coming in with Flash Player 10.2. They would just leave our site.

We managed to find & fix the problem. It looks like 10.2 introduced a bug that causes apps to crash in cases where switch statements & rest (...) arguments are used together. The easiest way to handle this is to wrap your switch statement in a try-catch block. The strange thing is that the catch block is never invoked, but it stops the crash from happening.

Hopefully the issue you're having is something similar and as easy to fix.

Cheers

Tracy

FYI, here was our post

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/791876

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow - nice and very specific reponse, Tracy... so clearly this IS an Adobe flash issue, which means that sites need to update their code as a work-around. Nothing at all to do with hardware acceleration, Adobe has broken the switch statement... doesn't quite help me since I don't develop the sites I visit, but this is the first bit of info I have seen that at least isolates the problem [likely for certain machines under certain circumstances].

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2011 Mar 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it is definitely a bug in the recent build of 10,2,152,26 Abode Flash 10.2

I have posted a very simple code sample of how it crashes (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/795395) and logged a bug at Adobe but not responses so far!

Fortunately the workaround is to simply wrap the code in a try/catch. so it will be easy for site developers to implement. At least once they see

what the problem is...

Lets hope Adobe gets around to fixing this soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mike_brewer wrote:

Have you tried if it's fixed in the latest FP version 10.2.152.32 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

mike_brewer wrote:

Have you tried if it's fixed in the latest FP version 10.2.152.32 ?

I uninstalled flash and installed "10,2,152,33" on mac and tested it again and it still crashes!

You can try it yourself here:

(http://files.chesscube.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Crasher.swf).

Remember that it will NOT crash with the flash debug client and the standard one.

I will test it on Linux and Windows later, but i doudt it has been fix for those platforms either.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2011 Mar 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cfact wrote:

I have found that I can reliably get flash to crash by going to this site: http://www.sterkinekor.com/site.php

1. then choose movies at my cinema button

2. then select Western cape for region

3. Then Cavendish classic for cinema

Flash crashes every time during or after these steps for me. Can anybody else confirm this?

This has been a terrible release - all of the Flash sites that I routinely visit are crashing these days - so I am trying to isolate sequences that cause the crashing...

Hi cfact,

Here is the result i get with the different versions of Adobe flash player on mac :

Adobe flash player 10,1,102,64 (standard client) -  Does not crash - Archived download
Adobe flash player 10,2,152,33 (debug client) - Does not crash - http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
Adobe flash player 10,2,152,33 (standard client) - Crashes - http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Adobe flash player 11,0,0,60 (Incubator build) - Does not crash - http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplatformruntimes_incubator.html

So it looks like it could be fixed in the next version. Interestly you can run the latest flash debug client without any crashes.

This looks like the same kind of problem our end users where getting, so it might be useful to notify the site of this issue and point them to a possible solution: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3489731#3489731 and maybe they can fix this issue themselves.

Regards Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines