Skip navigation
cnreily14
Currently Being Moderated

Help with circles

Feb 24, 2011 9:05 AM

I have Creative Suite 5 for students and need help with creating a circle. I know how to draw an eclipse but that is not permitted. I am not asking for someone to do my homework I just need some guidance on how to make a circle and I will do the rest please someone help me. I am new to the whole adobe design suite.

Thank you

Nicole

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2011 9:10 AM   in reply to cnreily14

While d with the elipse tool, hold down shift, to constrain this to a circle.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 9:11 AM   in reply to cnreily14

Use oval tool (8th one down), hold shift key, click & drag. If your class hasn’t prepared you for this exercise, you paid too much for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 9:12 AM   in reply to cnreily14
    I know how to draw an eclipse but that is not permitted.

Hmmm? Use the Ellipse tool and hold down Shift. Is that "permitted" and who says so?

Or double-click on the Ellipse tool and enter the values manually.

By the way, an Eclipse will just take you to where the sun don't shine; not a good place to go :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 9:55 AM   in reply to cnreily14

Nicole,

To create a circle without drawing an ellipse (using the Ellipse Tool in any of the ways suggested so far is obviously cheating), you may:

1) Create a square with the Rectangle Tool using the desired W/H values or dragging while holding down Shift, then Effect>Convert to Shape>Ellipse (without Extra Width/Height), and then Object>Expand Appearance and Ungroup.

2) Create a Polar Grid with the Polar Grid Tool (0 Concentric/Radial Dividers) and Ungroup (as may times as needed).

3) Type a full stop (or a period if you are over there) in a suitable font, then Type>Create Outlines, and Ungroup/Object>Compound Path>Release/whatever else may be necessary, and adjust the size.

4) etc will hopefully follow.

Is this the new Circle Thread?

http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/Archive/Chat/chat.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 10:38 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob: Seems to me that this is the quickest way to follow the example of the Wonga-Wonga bird with ever increasing velocity in ever decreasing circles until he finally disappears up his own ...

(You remember what the back of a smiley looks like?)

plugole.jpg

Steve.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 12:13 PM   in reply to cnreily14

For my part you are welcome, Nicole.

Steve, I am afraid that if I have ever seen the back of a smiley I have have failed to realize it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 12:26 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Is this the new Circle Thread?

My favorite method, particularly if I want lots of circles, is to set the stroke to a dash of zero, gap of, say, 100, stroke of 100, round cap. With the pen tool I make a nice flowing curve. Flatten transparency, ungroup, release compound path, and voilà: a nice batch of circles, ready for resizing. Easy!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 1:02 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

... if I have ever seen the back of a smiley I have have failed to realize it.

Just to jog your memory!

smileyback.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 1:19 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

)(

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 1:22 PM   in reply to cnreily14

Steve, I did consider saying that I probably should not recognize it if it bit me in the arse, but then I thought it might be too rude for our friends over there, so I decided to spare them.

Peter, I like that one, too, with the dashes.

I hope more will follow.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 1:22 PM   in reply to tromboniator

Easy!

Yep, Pete, or else you can do things the complicated way and still not get the ends to line up :-)

spiral2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 1:29 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Like I heard on the telly the other night, "Ye would nae see yure arse if it was settin' on your face." (Taggart I do believe).

As for the back of the smiley, I have a feeling it must've come from over there in the first place, so who are they to take offense?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 2:52 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

It was definitely in Taggart; I am trying to remember which of them said it. Jackie, no; Stuart, no; Mike, unlikely, Jim, could be; Matt, could very well be. Matt, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 3:09 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Yep, reckon it was Matt.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 5:05 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

I thought it might be too rude for our friends over there, so I decided to spare them.

Let's not be too hasty with who gets lumped where: some of us over here are mighty rude indeed!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 12:48 PM   in reply to cnreily14

Steve, after posting yesterday I came to think it might also be Robbie, but he could also be on the receiving end on one of his bad days. So maybe Matt actually said it to Robbie.

Peter, I was more concerned about folk in the Lower 48 (and possible asymmetric perception).

Luckily for us over here, the nanny filter seems to be blind to BE words.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 1:03 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob,

There are lots of the "friends over there" type in my own neighborhood; in fact, my friends and associates and I tend to be in a fairly sparse minority in these parts. Let's have a toast to the ascendency of AE in the nanny filter realm.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 2:33 PM   in reply to tromboniator

Ah, Peter.

Do you have access to the good series over there, Heartbeat, Taggart, Lewis, to mention a few of the most important ones?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 4:04 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge
    So maybe Matt actually said it to Robbie.

Yep, that's right. Robbie had been behaving like a twit (as usual) and Matt Burke was giving him a ticking off.

possible asymmetric perception

Like smileys, but with an arse on one side and an elbow on the other and they can't tell t'other from which.

Long live BE :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 5:31 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Do you have access to the good series over there, Heartbeat, Taggart, Lewis, to mention a few of the most important ones?

I honestly don't know. We haven't had a television hookup in our house in our 30+ years together. Not a philosophical decision - we've just been too busy. Once in a while we'll sit down and watch a movie together, but watching TV doesn't fit our lives, so I'm three decades (and counting) behind, missing the good along with the bad. Our children are grateful for growing up without it.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:50 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Steve, Peter,

I just had the pleasure of seeing that episode again.

It was Grass, Season 25, Episode 2, the one where Robbie had lost his book because of what he was thinking with, as Matt also pointed out among many other things, and especially Jackie had to make a great effort to save the original object of this Taggart remembering.

Unfortunately, I have just realized that Season 27 brought the end, the very last episode being Ends of justice. A great pity.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:54 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

I see that I have access to 2003-2005. Not tonight, but soon, I shall have a look.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 3:53 AM   in reply to tromboniator

Peter,

That is 20 years into the series, with the final team firmly established, and including some twit episodes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 4:12 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Understood, and as I suspected; nonetheless, that's what's available at the moment, without further research and, probably, further expense. I'm deep in performing arts season now, so watching others will have to wait another couple of months.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points