Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Many Recent Issues - Related?

Feb 10, 2011 7:57 AM

Dateline - February 10, 2011

Using Google Chrome 9.0.597.94 latest update

For the last 3 - 4 days, there have been several issues with the Adobe Forum.

• Staying logged-in is tenuous, at best. Sometimes, I can stay logged-in for hours, but other times, I have to re-log-in between eavery post, or even between every thread viewed. I do not have "Remember Me" checked, and have removed all cookies. Sometimes, I have to go to the log-in screen and enter the info, but many times, just hitting "Log-in" will automatically accomplish this.
  • Many losses of the Adobe servers. These instances have been random, and usually for very short periods, but they seem to be coming more frequently. Usually a dozen Refreshes finally restablishes the contact with the server, or it comes back up.
  • Usually, when the log-outs and lost servers happen, the general speed of the forum goes through the floor, with 1 - 2 mins. to refresh a page, whether just going back to the main forum page, after reading, or after a post.
  • This happened during the same time, but immediately after a Chrome update. Spellcheck no longer works. I have toggled it OFF, rebooted, then turned it ON many times, with no change - no spellcheck. I thought that this was universal, but just visited several other sites for the first time in days, and found that spellcheck in Chrome worked perfectly - just NOT in the Adobe forum.

Not sure if anything above is related, or is just coincidental. Have others been experiencing similar?

Note: I have not had any issue with the random character addition to my account, as others have. My log-ins/log-outs have been with my correct account, whether the log-in has required keyboard input, or has been automatic (remember, "Remember Me" is unchecked).

Thanks in advance,

Hunt

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • George Johnson
    11,661 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 10, 2011 12:48 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I haven't seen similar delays before today, where the forums have been mostly unreachable by my computers, but access via iPhone has been fairly reliable. I can't explain that one.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2011 2:15 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I have had none of the issues in FF, but at least between 1 AM PST and 3 PM PST on Thursday, I only saw the

Site Area Temporarily Unavailable

page, and that applied to all forums.

It reminded me of the unexpected rollback in the days of the fair forums, but some dreams never seem to come true.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 9:05 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I haven't looked to find out what was actually done... if anything... but I remember a mention in the "Search" thread that a search fix was being investigated

I suppose it is POSSIBLE that putting a fix in place meant the servers had to be taken offline for an upgrade... but that is just speculation

At least the several hours I could not get to any forum yesterday seems to be fixed today

Of course, we are still running a really OLD version of Jive, so who knows !?!?

Added - if the edit function works today

When I posted the above, I received an error message... but it DID post

Whatever is happening with the forums and/or servers, it is not completely fixed

Oh... I looked at the Search thread, and last message was that a fix was not yet ready, so whatever is happening now is not related to posting a code fix

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2011 2:03 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

We have been seeing some strange behaviour on the forums as well.

On Friday I was seeing the "site is temporarily unavailable", when trying to access the LiveCycle Designer ES forums. Like George, I could still access the forum via the iPhone.

What I have also experienced is that some threads that I have responded to, seem to have gone astray. On the computer web browser my post is missing, whereas on the iPhone it is still visible. Or visa versa.

Also there are some new threads that are visible on the iPhone, but not the computer's web browser.

Hmmm.., to answer threads or not?

Niall

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2011 5:21 AM   in reply to Niall O\'Donovan

Some hours ago, I responded to someone asking here a s

pecific product question, and gave a link to the proper forum. No

w the whole thread is gone.

Yesterday I answered a message in another thread. A couple of hours later, my message did not appear in the list, and was gone from the thread, so I rewrote it and reposted it. On posting the second message, it appeared below the one that had been missing.

All this in Explorer/Win 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2011 3:10 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

My post of nine hours ago is listed, but it

isn't to be seen anywhere.

A smillar occurrence in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3466656?tstart=0#3466656

where the last post of some 5 hours ago ins't there (abour 8:10 PM local time now):

Inexistente.JPG

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: missing message of mine appeared after posting this one...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2011 4:12 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill,

My expectations regarding improvements in these forums are more than very low; perhaps at the bottom of a deep, dark pit. It's been far too much time without noticeable changes for the better, still using version 2.5.16 of the software, ... Not to mention those wonderful, knowledgeable and helpful participants that were banned or simply disappeared on their own, most probably never to come back. And who haven't been replaced by "new blood" as some predicted.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2011 5:07 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Maybe the Servers are getting ready to have a melt down.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 3:38 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Apart from the site unavailability mentioned in post #3 (and the occasional extra linefeed as in this line which I have corrected as always, and the occasional ID corruption requiring logout/login, and the occasional shift between complete and partial dysfunction of the Search, etc), I have seen no issues like the ones described here in any of the 7 forums (including this one) that I follow and post in through FF from over here.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 6:36 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob, you are extremely lucky.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 8:19 AM   in reply to Claudio González

I know, Claudio.

Several times in the past there have also been huge differences in how/whether different natives have been affected by the different issues, often seemingly depending on where we were.

As far as I remember, in general we have fared much better over here.

And there seems to be better and worse areas over there, not necessarily the same for different issues/at different times.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 1:21 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Just to update, I am still seeing issues with long delays in threads updating, posts appearing, threads disappearing, etc. - as described above.

Also this evening got an "unexpected error" and then double post of my response.

So it still seems out of whack.

Niall

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 2:21 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I have just received the "unexpect

ed error" message when trying to post a message (another thread), which I hadn't had for months. However, my message was posted all right, and appeared in the list. Until I went to another thread and came back: my message was not anywhere now, not even after restarting Explorer.

I'll try posting it again, and then I will report the results.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 2:44 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

If it has to do with Adobe, don't count on it.  I've said their server farm probably are on their last legs.  Probably using some 20 year old IBM's

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 3:32 PM   in reply to Claudio González

I had forgotten to post the results of my test. The missing message reapp

eared immediately after I posted a second version of it, to that I end

ed up with a double posting. Well, not exactly with a dob

uble posting, but the same info posted twice.

Shall we also call this a "new feature"?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 8:31 AM   in reply to Claudio González

That is Jive's new "Doppelganger" feature!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 2:30 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, I am beginning to think that "luck" is the only hope por these forums..

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 9:33 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi Bill,

The LiveCycle Designer forums seem to be okay at the moment. Posted a couple of responses this morning without difficulty.

Hopefully things will improve across the board soon.

Niall

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 9:48 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill,

Likewise, I can post to this forum as well without difficulty.

I have to say that I have never had the same level of trouble with being logged out. The only time I have been logged out, is if I access the forums through the Enterprise Cáfe AIR app.

Any other time I can go to the forums via the web or the phone and I am always logged in (even logged in to both web and phone at the same time). Generally I don't get logged out when posting a response either. I say 'generally', because it may have happened once or twice in the very early days.

Having spilled the beans, I hope that I haven't jinxed myself and that in the morning I will have to repeatedly log in is 'Niall O'Donovan - d45G5yz2'.

Niall

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 2:53 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Aggghhhhhhh!!

I don't believe it Bill, after months of never being logged out, its

happened! Went to check the forums this morning and while I could see the

forums, I was logged out.

No problem, I'll just log in. Right? Wrong, got a 404, which has never

happened before.

http://twitpic.com/44bkqf

Posting this via email, even thought I do still seem to be logged in on the

phone.

Maybe there is a perfectly reasonable explanation - I would love to hear it.

Grumpy user!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 3:02 AM   in reply to Niall O\'Donovan

FWIW, I'm getting the same error, and I reported it. I assume it'll get fixed when it's daytime in California...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Feb 27, 2011 5:10 AM   in reply to Harbs.

Harbs. wrote on 11/02/27 12:03:

I assume it'll get fixed when it's daytime in California...

I don't. The timing coincides too much with a certain denial of service

vulnerability in Java to assume the problem will just go away when Jive

restarts a cluster node.

In early February a security issue was (re)discovered in Java. Oracle

released a patch on February 8th. I informed Adobe that these forums

were vulnerable on February 15th, and Adobe took it up with Jive. Jive

released a patch on February 22th:

https://community.jivesoftware.com/blogs/jivespace/2011/02/22/patch-re leases-jive-4551-4542-40151-40141

As you can see Jive did not release a patch for ClearSpace 2.5 and the

forums are currently still vulnerable to a denial of service attack.

Without server access I can't proof this is what is happening, but I

don't believe in coincidences.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 5:18 AM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

Interesting...

FWIW, I mysteriously got re-logged back in without ever accessing that page. The really weird part is that I had thrown out all my cookies. I did login using the main Adobe login page...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 6:38 AM   in reply to Harbs.

Yes, I'm back online/logged in as well!

Niall

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 2:47 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I had the same logout (or should I say lockout) error 404 in the early PST hours; and then sudenly I was able to login, through the login page, about 5 AM.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2011 2:16 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Early today, about 2AM PST, the access was intermittent over here, but apart from that there has been nothing to report; if anything, the forums have generally been faster than usual today.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)