Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Linking in Encore CS5

Mar 2, 2011 6:19 AM

I remain very unclear about how to link everything in Encore (En-CS5). Here's what I currently have:

1. The "Disk" has "First Play" as the menu.

2. The Menu (showing up as linked to Disk in the Flowchart) keeps showing an hourglass. It has "Stop" as its End Action. This hourglass over the Menu persists.

3. The Submenu ("Button") then shows up as being linked to the movie in the flowchart.

4. The Movie (*.proj) has the End Action as itself (i.e. the movie). This results in it's playing itself again automatically. I'd rather it went back to the Menu.  I considered having the Menu as the End Action, and though I haven't tried this, it results in yet another hourglass over the Menu.

Can you tell me what I'm doing right and wrong. And what the hourglass signifies. Insidentallly, when I run "Check Project" I see no problems.

Thanks--this is the first time I've played with Encore.

kdoc

Branched from an earlier discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2011 6:20 AM   in reply to kdoc2

These questions are better placed in the Encore forum, but you'll get the same answers here, so...

Yes, the menu should be first play, and should have stop as its end action.

For the movie, unless you have some other purpose, just set its end action to "last menu."

When you switch to the menu viewer (double click on the menu in the project panel or the menu panel), do you see the hourglass?

3. The Submenu ("Button") then shows up as being linked to the movie in the flowchart.

What do you mean by submenu?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2011 8:22 AM   in reply to kdoc2

See how those moderators take care of things?  Welcome to the Encore forum!

The  "button" has nothing to do with a submenu - it is a button and is linked to your movie.  All is well.

I suspect the hourglass is related to a process going on in the background, probably related to the dynamic link, but who knows.  If it went away, that is good.  Ha,ha!

Yes, give it a go; and let us know.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2011 9:50 AM   in reply to kdoc2

In checking my Presets I go into File -- Edit Quality Presets. But when I open that it shows the default (Blueray, 23.97 VBR 1 pass), whereas I thought I had set it to DVD, 29.97 etc. ) Is it running on how I set it or what?

Think of 2 separate steps: 1) defining presets (the ones listed that are part of Encore's definitions - and then the ones you modify and save as custom presets) and 2) selecting presets (Encore defined or your custom) for each of your assets.

When you go into File -> Edit Quality Presets, you are working only with step 1.

When you select an asset in the project panel and either right click or go to File -> Transcode Settings, you go to the Transcode Settings dialog where you can actually select a preset (custom or otherwise) for that asset, or you can click on the Edit Quality Presets button and what you do under step 1.

And what are the preferred settings for the optimal DVD? Which fps, which VBR, etc. There are many choices. How do I set this, recheck to see if it's set correctly, etc.

"It depends."  A short movie - just use CBR and max the datarate.  Longer movies require an understanding of much more.  For a beginning, just set it to "Automatic."  Let Encore decide all that.  For short pieces, automatic will max the datarate using CBR.  For longer pieces, Encore will find the highest datarate, using VBR as needed, to fill the disk.

Just make sure, when using automatic, that you complete any menus, especially motion menus, before you transcode.  I like to use the Transcode Now, setting to use AME in Encore general preferences, rather than transcoding as part of the final "build" operation.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2011 10:14 AM   in reply to kdoc2

Ha, ha!  Good luck with "life."

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2011 10:16 AM   in reply to kdoc2

Kdoc,

I cannot believe that you are letting "life" intrude, when you have a DVD Project on the computer...

Good luck - with "life" AND the Project, as Stanley offers,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2011 5:08 PM   in reply to kdoc2

Sorry; forgot you transcoded before: remember Revert to Original?  That's it!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2011 6:00 PM   in reply to kdoc2

As soon as you revert to original, it will update to the Premiere version if there are any changes.  You don't do anything.

This just allows you to transcode again, with different (or the same) transcode settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2011 9:00 AM   in reply to kdoc2

Kdoc,

No way are we going to allow you to throw us a "cliffhanger!"

Ya' gotta' report,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2011 2:03 PM   in reply to kdoc2

First, I would create a New Project in PrPro, and set it up for full BD, of 1920 x 1080.

Then, I would Scale the stills to that size, or just what is needed if you plan on Panning on a Zoomed out image (just calculate how much larger. I would do this in PS, and for the vast majority, you can do this with an Action. This ARTICLE should be helpful. Just pay no attention to the 720 x 480 dimensions, as that was when SD was the main format.

Then, I would do a BD, and use either the HD MPEG-2, or H.264. There are arguments for each, with HD MPEG-2 seemingly easier to author with, and H.264 compressing more, to allow for a longer runtime. You might want to get some BD RE's and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 8:33 AM   in reply to kdoc2

Sorry for the jargon. BD = Blu-ray Disc.

For brands, I am a fan of Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden for DVD's. I do not yet do BD, so have not studied the possibilities.

Sony gets good recs. here too, but again, I have not tried them.

Unless things change greatly with BD, Memorex would be one brand to avoid, like the plague.

For DVD, TDK (recent), Ritek (recent), and all "store brands" should also be avoided.

Maybe others will chime in and give BD-specific recs. Would be good to hear what Jeff, Neil, Stanley and Jon use, and how they feel about their brand choices.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 10:05 AM   in reply to kdoc2
    When one rents a professional movie DVD, the  quality is  often excellent--it looks closer to high def. How do they do that?

Two things that definitely play into that are:

• The discs are pressed in replication, and not burned
    • The Transcoding is done with high-level, and very expensive software, by trained experts, who do nothing else all day long

In our case, close is as good as it will ever get.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 11:00 AM   in reply to kdoc2

Kdoc,

It is a common "burning question," and we often see it here. It's usually framed around, "I have several Hollywood BD's/DVD's, and they have managed to cram (fill in the Duration here) onto it, with great quality. Why can't I do the same?"

It really boils down to VBR Encoding with 10+ passes, in software that costs more than many houses, and run by experts at Transcoding motion for the ultimate results. Then, pressing vs burning.

I cannot address the brands of blank media used in typical Hollywood productions, but maybe others can. I can only assume that they use the "good stuff," but maybe not. Just do not know.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)