Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Remove "open recent file" screen on startup Acrobat X

Jan 26, 2011 12:19 AM

When I start Adobe Acrobat X, it opens the splash screen "open a recent file". This is very annoying, because when you use Outlook, and choose to print a PDF document, it opens Acrobat X, it prints, but Acrobat X does not close from itself. I have to do it manually. So when I have to print several PDF documents from Outlook, I need to close every Acrobat X app, so the next document will print. Acrobat 9 did it automatically.

Is there a solution, or a registry tweak, to remove the "open a recent file" screen?

Kind regards

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2011 1:40 AM   in reply to BravoBE

You're in the Adobe Reader forum, but I assume you're asking about Adobe Acrobat...

The Welcome Screen cannot be disabled in the Windows version of Adobe Acrobat X - it will display whenever there is an instance of Acrobat running with no documents open.

Your issue with Outlook is separate and bears investigation - which version of Office are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2011 12:10 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

I loathe the "Welcome Screen" & especially the recent file list. It's already in the file menu. The splash screen can be disabled, so there's no reason to not have an option to leave a blank background when there's no document in the reader. I haven't been silly enough to install it in FreeBSB/Linux yet to see whether it can be disabled for those distros.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 1:43 PM   in reply to BravoBE

Can I please add a "me too" here? This is the first version of Reader that does this - very annoying. What on earth is the point?

John

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,676 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 11, 2011 2:26 PM   in reply to johngie

I seem to recall the point is to calm the anxiety felt by the naïve when confronted with the austerity of the dark, empty window. It gives them a gentle reminder of why they opened it in the first place.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2011 7:49 PM   in reply to BravoBE

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 6:11 AM   in reply to jcimarron

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if we are ever forced to move to X.  We were just updating some images and were trying to proactive by updating to version X.  We just went back to 9.4 for now.

Thanks

Rosy#55

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2011 1:10 PM   in reply to BravoBE

Had a user call me today after installing an Adobe update:

"Whenever my boss prints from Outlook now, his PDF's go into some Adobe "recent" queue...."

Huh? I go to check it out. It's the same issue that people are complaining about here.

I asked his secretary: "Did you get an update?".

"No"

She clicks on the Adobe X icon: Please wait while update is applied...

Up pops this "new and improved" recent screen.

Then I ask her to print a PDF attachment. Same issue as BravoBE.

I can see this confusing A LOT of people. My secretary didn't realize she could still click the menu bar when this "recent" screen was up.

Can you please give us an option to turn this off?

And can anyone supply me with a link to get back to Reader 9?

//edit//

Found it for anyone else looking:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

//edit//

Of course I (the IT Manager) have Acrobat 8 Pro so I will hopefully not have this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 7:22 AM   in reply to BravoBE

I concur.  I've had so many users complain about this irritant.  This really is ugly.  Here is my resolution since none of the registry hacks that I found online worked:  Used the Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up  Utility to remove Adobe X.  I also removed the Adobe X subkeys from the system registry under HK/CU/Software/Adobe/Adobe Reader/10.0 and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.3 that I had archived.  I have a some VERY happy users now.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2011 3:41 AM   in reply to BravoBE

We really need this screen removed and looks like we will have to revert back to version9. Adobe please sort this out.

We have 2500 users and use a document management system, the recents point to a local cached copy of the file which is no longer there after a pdf is closed. We use Automony Worksite's addin to integrate with the file system. This adds an open & save option in the Menu to manage files within the DMS.

Having recents and a local open on the screen confuses our users.

It's the same for Acrobat Pro X too. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 6:52 AM   in reply to BravoBE

I was really hoping this would have been resolved with v10.1.1, but it is not.

Adobe, please provide some ability to disable this, either in Preferences or a registry modification.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 6:59 AM   in reply to PHansen19

I've given up on Adobe completely and have removed ver 10 from my computers. My end users are currently using, and enjoying, the free NItroPDF Reader program.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,676 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Oct 27, 2011 7:11 AM   in reply to PHansen19

For the registry setting that controls this with 10.1.1, see: http://acrobatninja.blogspot.com/2011/09/acrobat-and-adobe-reader-1011 .html

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 7:17 AM   in reply to BravoBE

Oh that's great! Finally.

Thanks very much for finding that.

How do people find this stuff out when Adobe doesn't seem to be very forthcoming about this? lol

Some smart people out there.

It's too late for me. I don't plan to go back any time soon. Hopefully this helps others though.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 7:31 AM   in reply to George Johnson

Thank you George!  The registry hack worked like a charm!  I'm sure that my users that have Adobe Acrobat X and those that I have not removed Adobe Reader X from their computers will appreciate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 7:50 AM   in reply to BravoBE

I imagine, Reader shows the list of recent files to open when it's started all by itself - right? Curious, why would anyone open Reader not by clicking on a PDF file?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 7:54 AM   in reply to Vadim Rapp

Vadim: I have a user that does this. I cannot break her of this habit.

She will open Adobe or Word. Go to FILE > OPEN. Change view to ALL FILES. Browse a network share. FInd whatever doc she is looking for, be it pdf, doc, xls, ppt... whatever. Then will RIGHT CLICK > OPEN WITH..

Instead of just browing with MY COMPUTER.

Drives me nuts...she "has always done it this way".

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 8:02 AM   in reply to Vadim Rapp

Hi Vadim:  the users in our Law Department usually open Adobe files directly from their e-mail instead of saving the files and then opening them from their network or hard drives because they are under a timeline to get information to the attorneys.  The screen was a pain for them because the file would not open directly and would halt.  I just guess it depends on the situation and there's always more than one way to do something when working with computers (as we all know).  I've got users like @CleveTony that "have always done it this way", but I guess as long as it works...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 10:18 AM   in reply to Zoe1959

@Zoe1959,

When you open from email, it should be in the same way as if opening file from a folder; mail application saves the file in %temp% folder, then opens it just like any other. I would run Process Monitor to find out why it hangs. Also, you can try to uncheck DDE-related checkbox in "file types" of PDF.

Capture-10-27-00002.png

@CleveTony - I had a user who was sending all her email messages in HTML format with colorful textured brown background, set up by "Stationery" in Outlook. She just liked it that way. Until one day when the background image that stationary was based on, for unknown reasons has disappeared from her hard drive...

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

The fact that this "feature" can't be disabled by clicking a simple check box on the screen is idiocy beyond measure...

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to jaimenash

On a Mac, you can go into Preferences and disable these screen(s).

Acrobat> Preferences> General

then un-check "Show welcome screen" also splash screen if applicable.

acrobat-x-splash-screen-preferences.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 1:55 AM   in reply to smartjaw

This is just amazing. So on windows Adobe decided to remove the checkbox to remove the welcome screen. Well... wish it was there--what else can I say!

|
    Mark as:
  • iebng
    40 posts
    Aug 26, 2009
    Jul 9, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to smartjaw

I tried un-check "Show welcome screen" also splash screen, but still it shows agian when i relaunch the application.

Does it needs admini rights ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to roman_

See post #13 above.  It helped me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to Zoe1959

The solution offered by George Johnson (Post #13) and reiterated by Zoe1959 works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to jcimarron

It did not work for me in Windows settings. Here is my screen shot of the Registry. What am I doing wrong in entering the values. Thanks for any help.

Acrobat Registry2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to atokaas11

atokaas11--The Registry entry under Name should read bShowWelcomeScreen.  Without the =0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to jcimarron

Thank you jcimarron it worked. Much obliged.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to atokaas11

atokaas11--You are welcome.  Enjoy.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 12:53 AM   in reply to jcimarron

Hi ,

I have try to edit my registry and added in the ShowWelcomeScreen value but adobe reader x still prompt me the "open recent files" option when I startup the reader. Is there any other option to disable it ?

Appreciate your response.

Thank You.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to ros_c

Hi,

Follow these steps:

In Registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\(product

name)\(version)\FeatureLockDown\cWelcomeScreen\bShowWelcomeScreen

After FeatureLockDown in the above steps create a new Registry key