• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shockwave CONTINUOUSLY unresponsive when playing games on Facebook~ PLEASE HELP!! :-)

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2011 Mar 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been trying for over 2 weeks to fix this problem with Shockwave! I have an INSPIRION 600m laptop,running Windows XP, browser I'm USING is Google Chrome,however, I have FF and IE8 installed as well. My Anti virus is AVG. Chrome COMES with FLASH installed,however I'm not positive it includes Shockwave.

This is what I have tried so far:

~ I uninstalled ALL browsers, except IE8 at first, via Windows add/remove programs, then one by one reinstalled browsers, then uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled.

~Downloaded Adobe uninstaller onto desktop and uninstalled on ALL 3 browsers, then Reinstalled on all three.

~Tested Flash on all 3 browsers: SAW spinning logo on all browsers with following info-CHROME-10.2.154.12 , IE8- 10.2.152.32 , FF- 10.2.152.32

~Checked C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash... with following results :

* flash10n_ocx

* flashinstall

* flashplayer.xpt

* flashutil10_activex

* flashutil10_activex.dll

* flashutil10_plugin

* NPSWF32.dll -------VERSION 10,2,152,32 shockwave 10.2r152

~When I checked my ADD ONS on Chrome & FF, IE8... the Shockwave for Director 11.5.9.620 was enabled, so I disabled it, then enabled again, since I didn't see another Shockwave flash installed...only that and the Adobe Flash.

~ I rebooted AFTER EACH of the above actions and made sure my messenger and AVG Anti virus was DISabled during all steps, then enabled once I was finished.

I signed onto Facebook and tried playing the games and it continued to lag on me, then get the pop ups stating shockwave is unresponsive, would you like to kill page or wait. I'm also getting the pop up stating the page has become unresponsive, with same options. PLEASE help me!! LOL Before I kill the page for good!!!! I'm not the brightest when it comes to computers, but I do read everything I cam, teach myself and basically pray~~~ I pray for most everything though..lol I'm just an average person that loves her games, I am disabled and do reply on my games as my daily fun, so it's crucial I get this fixed SOON! Thank anyone and everyone for taking the time to read my question, and thank you for any help/suggestions you can give!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Mar 07, 2011 Mar 07, 2011

Hi, Are you sure Norton was Installed when you Installed Shockwave Player? Or are you speaking of McAfee when Installing Flash Player?

Either way, you may have a conflict.

Let me know,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I noticed I didn't mention above that I have also UNchecked the "Accelerate Hardware" option. Hope to get an answer soon, thanks again! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well you have certainly done your homework, great job and thanks for posting all of it also:-) Makes my work much easier, LOL

Ok, Your Flash files in System32, is the letter "n" in both of these: * flashutil10_activex

* flashutil10_activex.dll  as this one is:  * flash10n_ocx

Using IE, go to Tools, Manage addons and look under "Show"(very light text) for "Shockwave Flash Object" (not Shockwave Flash, etc.) Is that Installed and is it Enabled?

Using FF, look in plugins for "Shockwave Flash" plugin. Is it Installed and Enabled?

Now other than that, have you had an Virus or Malware infection? If so which program removed it?

Do you have any other Anti-Virus/Spyware programs other than AVG?

Do you have any Firewall other than Windows Firewall?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello eidnolb!!

Thank you for helping me with my question, I am truly happy "you" are helping me! NOT that I don't want others help, it's just that I have researched the site and seen your answers are very well described, and easy to follow along. I've learned a lot from you, lol I did as you requested, and here are the results.

•      In system32, YES, ALL of the files DO have the "n" in them, can't believe I missed typed all those,lol
  •      IE8, Shockwave is installed AND enabled - 10.2.152.32
  •      FF, Shockwave flash (NOT Director) IS installed and enabled - 10.2.152.32
  •      In addition to AVG 2011 Edition, I also have Sophos Anti-Rootkit Program, to my knowledge I have NEVER had a virus, my AVG is always up and running, always updated and my Anti- Rootkit has found several "hidden files", but have deemed all of the files safe and to NOT remove. I only have Windows firewall installed, as well.

Thank you again for your assistance!! It's very late here this evening, so I will check back again tomorrow. Enjoy your weekend 🙂

znoissap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

I wasn't expecting the email,so I posted on the forum. I completely

un-installed FF, so now my only browsers are Chrome and IE8. My system32,

DOES have the letter "n" in each of the files...can't believe I didn't

notice it before

I also reinstalled SW flash 11 and when I removed FF, rebooted,

everything started working really well when I played games yesterday. I had

a slower connection than before and it did give me the pop ups twice,

stating page and shockwave flash were unresponsive. So, it is working a lot

better without FF installed, just not back to what it was. Any other

suggestions hun?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Thanks for the update:-)  I don't know why you would be receiving any messages about Flash Player. What are those popups saying exactly? Are they coming from a game site on FB? If so, then sometimes the game sites can run a little slow if a lot of users are on the same site.

You might want to try disabling the addons from AVG that are in the browser. Each time Flash Player is updated with changes, addons that may not have caused any problem before, may now. Just something to check.

I see you Uninstalled FF. A lot of people use it, I happen to think it's very complicated and hard to use. Too many things to continually check on, etc. My Dtr uses it, but I prefer IE as it always works for me. Set it and forget it:-)

Under Tools, Internet Options, make sure you have Security set to Medium for the Internet. You probably already do, but thot I'd mention that.

Let me know,

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I'm not sure as to why I'm getting the pop ups from Shockwave, but

it IS from shockwave, stating it has become unresponsive and asks if I'd

like to "kill the page" OR "wait". I also get the "page has become

unresponsive" pop up, but I always attribute that to the game site being too

busy,and not ran properly,lol

• I didn't even think to check AVG's addons!!! I know I seem to get a

couple when it updates, I NOW have Norton Security as an additional virus

protection...it came with Adobe's Shockwave 11...but hasn't caused any

additional problems,so keeping it for now! Thank you for the suggestions of

the AVG add ons, make sense!!! I will check that out and get back to

you, see if it makes a difference I want to make sure this question is

"answered"...it was because of your posts/help I was able to do all of

this!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Are you sure Norton was Installed when you Installed Shockwave Player? Or are you speaking of McAfee when Installing Flash Player?

Either way, you may have a conflict.

Let me know,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2011 Mar 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, well afternoon...lol

YES, it's Norton Security Scan, not McAfee. In addition to that, it also

downloaded PC Tools Registry Mechanic program. I've not registered the PC

tools, and started using it. Have thought about deleting it. I've not had

ANY problems at all since I got rid of FF and used Adobe's website to

uninstall ALL files,etc. of my older version of Flash. I reinstalled

Shockwave 11 and everything is working great. I had ONE (amazing,lol) pop up

telling me shockwave was unresponsive last night.....BUT, there were so many

ppl on the game I was playing, it was understandable.

*Do you know anything about this PC Tools Registry Mechanic program? When

I downloaded the Shockwave 11, it gave me the choice to DL Norton's Security

Scan, but not the PC Tools. So, I'm thinking it MAY have came with

Norton's.!?? Thoughts?

*ENJOY your day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*****> Just researched PC Tools and it IS in connections with Norton's, and a couple other Security programs. NOT registering it, not going to pay the price they want for something I don't need at this point. Going to look into it more. Just wanted to give you the update..Thank you once again, for all you help! Like I said,if it weren't for your detailed answers to other posters, then I would have never known what to do. Enjoy your day and it's been a pleasure working with you, hehehe ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't use Shockwave Player so I didn't know that Norton or PC Tools Registry Mechanic was even offered.

I personally don't like Norton at all. Regarding Registry "Cleaners", some users like them. I researched about Registry Cleaners and rely on the Microsoft Registry Experts. They say starting with XP and on, they are not needed and using them is not worth the risk. So, I don't use them at all. You can do the same research on Microsoft and make your own decision. That's is just my opinion on them:-)

If you can watch videos on youtube, then that is a good indication Flash Player is working as it should be. I agree the website was probably just too busy. You could try it at various times to see.

Norton & McAfee both are very invasive and Install into the system and you need Removal Tools(their own) to Uninstall them.

However, Norton will have several addons in your browser that is not needed and can be disabled. It has nothing to do with

the main Anti-Virus engine.

Now, you may not have the full Norton, which is different than a "security scan" as McAfee also has. If you can run it on demand, then that may be ok.

I would Uninstall it and Install MSE(Microsoft Security Essentials) It is an Anti-Virus/Spyware program, easy on resources and it is Free. You can check it out and see what you think. One great thing is that it does not Install any addons into the browser!!

So nothing is conflicting with Flash Player or your browsers.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I have removed all the add ons, Norton's and PC Tools,after doing

some research on a few sites, including Microsoft

• Thank you for the advice of MSE, I will seriously consider it,and research

it! I do appreciate everything! I have actually learned so much from reading

many of your help threads,that I was able to help 2 fellow gamers with some

flash issues SO,hats off to YOU! Sorry, I'm taking credit for those

2,hehehe IF I ever have a problem in the future,I'm hoping you'll be around

for suggestions. Not sure if you're able to see my email addy from this

email,like I see yours ( forums addy)....if so,feel free to add me,and email

anytime.

Enjoy your evening,and rest of the week!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem whilst playing FB games, mainly the zynga ones.  I use google chrome. The game goes black with a jigsaw puzzle peice shape in the middle and a bar at the top of the page says flash player has crashed.  This has only been for the last few days and nothing has been changed on my computer prior to this.    Just noticed the bar that says flash player has crashed is also at the top of some of the adobe pages!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi crocus15, You can try this:

go to this site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/. Right click on the Flash logo, Settings,
then UNcheck the hardware acceleration in Display Settings.

If this doesn't solve your problem, then you'll need to start your own thread/discussion and provide your computer info/browsers.

This is an answered thread and your computer configuration will be different.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines