Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 HD to SD Tutorial

Feb 9, 2010 8:29 AM

My latest tutorial covering the best ways to scale HD footage to SD resolution, using only Premiere Pro CS4 and the Adobe Media Encoder CS4, is now online.

CS4 HD to SD Tutorial

-Jeff

EDIT 09 Feb 2010: The link to the tutorial has been updated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 1, 2009 12:50 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Very nice Jeff.

duimpje blauw

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2009 3:37 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2009 6:49 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Thanks much Jeff, I found it very informative and very well produced.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2009 8:14 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Not to be rude or not appreciating your work, but years of seeing your posts and tutorials have made me expect no less than perfect every time!

Keep going!!!

Dag

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2009 8:26 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Oh well, the truth may hurt sometimes

Dag

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2009 11:08 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Excellent Jeff, thanks for the great tutorial.

I think a downloadable .pdf perhaps in tri-fold or booklet format would be a tremendous convenience.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2009 3:54 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff, you should put this tutorial in the Tutorial section for everyone to find.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 2:27 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff, you indicated a "Dan Isaacs" ver is coming soon.  In the interum, could you give a summary of your testing and comparrison of the "adobe method" vs Dan's method?

I personally see a lot of edge shimmering when using the max render quality adobe option.    I find the adobe max render option produces acceptable but not great quality for progressive footage, and not acceptavble quality for interlaced source.   Thats my unscientific testing.    BTW; I believe Dan's workflow provide great quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 3:28 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff,

Thank you. This article is now going to be linked to from the PrE Tips & Tricks sub-forum.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 5:10 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Though written for CS4, there are enough similarities between the two programs that I think some users can "read between the lines," and utilize the theory, at least. Same for the upcoming Dan Isaacs' version.

This has become a very common topic, and I want to get as much infor out there, as is possible.

Last, even if the vast majority of the PrE users cannot find use for this, that sub-forum is like a FAQ, though for longer articles. This post will sink to page X in a few days. On the PrE Tips & Tricks sub-forum, it will be there, until Adobe changes the fora again.

I do a lot of articles for that sub-forum, even if they apply more directly to PrPro, because it's a useful repository for info. I link to that sub-forum from the PrPro forum all the time. When I do an article for there, I try to cover the PrE and PrPro bases, so there is less interpolation for the reader.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 6:25 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff,

I also have to admit that I "cheat" a bit, with that sub-forum. Steve Grisetti, the MOD, lets me get away with it, so long as I do not abuse it. Even for articles that are much more PrPro oriented (and even some Encore articles), I will add them there, so they are easily accessible to more folk, and they do not decay, and get lost on later pages of a regular forum.

If you have a beer with Steve G. at the MOD's picnic, don't tell him of my "cheating," please.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2009 8:02 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Nice job.

I have a question.  I read an earlier post about HD to SD and you mentioned nesting a HD seq inside of a SD seq and then export that.

Is that still your recommended approach?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 8:53 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff,

I was wondering with the recent 4.2 update if that changes anything with your tutorial?  I thought that the update was supposed to address scaling and deinterlacing, so I was wondering if the 2 step process for 720p60 footage would become one step???

Thanks

Phil

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 9:13 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

So do you still right click on the timeline and tell it to interlace consecutive frames or is all of that handled through AME and the setting that you use there?

EDIT - Do you also uncheck "Frame Blend" still?

Thanks again for the help Jeff....

Phil

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 10:09 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Thanks Jeff....

Tons of help as usual....

Phil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2011 11:18 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Hi Jeff,

I know this is an old thread but I just recently watched your tutorials on HD to SD conversion in Premiere.  I have a quick question (or two).

I'm working with CS5 now.  Does everything in the tutorial still apply?

I've been working for years in the DV SD world, but my new workflow has my source edited material in 720p format and need to end up on DVD format.  Will using the Adobe Dynamic Link feature to send it off to Encore using "Automatic" settings with MRQ on, produce acceptable downscaling and interlacing results?

I played around with your method of exporting to an MPEG2-DVD file via the AME and that all makes sense but the downside of that is the requirment to manually set the bitrate settings.  I'm usually working with videos around 2+ hours, so it's hard to pick bitrate settings that make the resulting MPG2 filesize match the DVD size without some trial and error.  And with transcode times reaching 30 hours or so, that becomes painful.  That's what I like about the "automatic" transcode settings.  I guess I just want to know if I'm missing something in the manual AME method that could help with bitrate settings or if there are any tweaks to the "autmatic" method that would help.  Thanks.

-Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2011 1:56 PM   in reply to cow_isle
    Will [insert actions here] produce acceptable downscaling and interlacing results?

The best way to know is to perform those actions and observe the results.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2011 7:34 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Thanks Jim and Jeff.  I'm definitely willing to try various tests myself but I'm equally happy to get suggestions from seasoned veterans like yourselves.  I have a follow-up if you don't mind.  Jeff, in your reply you said in CS5 just "export the 720p60 sequence straight to MPEG2 DVD 16:9 Progressive".  In your tutorials you stressed that with 720p60 that we should export to interlaced.  Just want to make sure that you are now telling me to oputput to progressive?

How do you guys determine bitrate setting when doing the encoding?  I realize with shorter length videos it's not as much of an issue, but I typically have to deal with 2 to 2.5 hour videos so I have to scale back on the bitrates to make it fit on a 4.7GB DVD.  I had a 2:17:00 video that I did a 2 pass VBR encode with 2-4-7 bitrate settings. After 30 hours it finished only to find I was 11 MB over the capacity of the DVD.  I realize I can back it down to 3.8 and probably make it work, but just wondering if there is a better method or rules of thumb people use to pick the settings? Thanks again guys.

-Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2011 3:57 PM   in reply to cow_isle
    How do you guys determine bitrate setting when doing the encoding?

Practice.  You do enough of these things, you get a feel for what's gonna fit at a certain bitrate.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2011 2:40 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Or use a bitrate calculator.

http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2011 2:15 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

---

|