Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Waiting for forums.adobe.com...

Feb 25, 2011 1:24 PM

Holy crap, these forums are slow lately!  My browser connects nearly instantly, as it should using a 15/5 FiOS line.  But then it takes FOREVER (in computer terms) for the server to actually do it's job and serve the freakin' web page. 10, 20, 30 seconds is FAR too long, Adobe.  10, 20 30 MILLIseconds is what it should be.

 

Please get that fixed.

Branched to a new discussion.
 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2011 9:33 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

    Well Jim, I guess that I am NOT alone in this - see this THREAD.

     

    I keep waiting to see a sticky posted in the main page here, telling us that the servers are dying, or similar, but so far nothing.

     

    Are you getting logged-out constantly too?

     

    Hunt

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2011 5:09 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

    Well, it hasn't been fixed in these two years since this new version of the forums. It was a few milliseconds before the change.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2011 8:18 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

    Damn!  Someone forgot to feed the hamster again!

     

    I this problem EVER going to get solved?  I have my doubts.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2011 3:14 AM   in reply to Bob_Peters

    I am getting waiting times of the order of 15 seconds in contrast with the 5 seconds I have been getting "normally" (and the few milliseconds in the Fair Forums)...

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2011 7:52 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

    I agree on the level of frustration. For me, the speed comes and goes. When the slowdowns come (Fridays seem particularly bad), the log-outs normally follow for me. Then, it takes 5 mins. to post a single reply. Bummer!

     

    Good luck to us all,

     

    Hunt

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2011 7:59 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

    It could be your machines or that your ISP is prioritizing the access to most deserving clients.  I am running a PIII machine (1998 RM model) on WindowsXP Professional and I have no such problems here in United Kingdom.

     

    I live in an area where most residents have access to Internet Broadband so I expect our Telcos to make sure they give us fast reliable Internet access unless they want to lose our custom!.

     

    Hope this gives you some food for thought and to take up the matters with your ISPs and/or get your machines checked by some technician.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 4:35 AM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

    Well, for me it's difficult to blame my ISP for intermitent slowdowns affecting only these Adobe forums and not any other of the sites that I visit regularly...

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 5:56 AM   in reply to Claudio González

     

    It’s a defect at adobe. Their network has finally crashed and burned.

    I've received 6 messages this morning and click on all of them and

    either received a screen say no data try again or I wait 10 minutes and

    it does nothing.

     

    I'm betting this won't even get through. I read post yesterday fine. Who

    know maybe they are updating the software after 3 years years.

     

    --

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"

    http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com

     

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 6:26 AM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

     

    I can't get in through website so I am answering through the email

    notifications.

     

    here is what I get when I try to go to website.

     

    http://www.screencast.com/t/tQ9UGikoeX.

     

    when I try to go int through browser direct instead of clicking links

    said site was unavaible.

    see this: http://www.screencast.com/t/sZveGnMH

     

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 6:39 AM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

     

    I can't get in through website so I am answering through the email

    notifications.

     

    here is what I get when I try to go to website.

     

    http://www.screencast.com/t/tQ9UGikoeX.

     

    when I try to go int through browser direct instead of clicking links

    said site was unavaible.

     

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 7:10 AM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

     

     

      Still can't sign in still get :

    http://www.screencast.com/t/kplpP1eItbqk

     

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 7:13 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

    Please stop posting these useless repeated messages. Just wait until it

    is back up.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 7:38 AM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

     

    I didn't see where anyone was admitting there was a problem. The forum

    administrator should have posted a message that there was a meltdown as

    soon as it was reported. That's the problem with the powers that be for

    these forums. They like to treat us like mushrooms (keep us in the dark)

    And by the way. I don't care one way of your opinion of me  either.

     

    When I report an item. That's what I am doing. Now that know someone

    knows there is problem. There will be no further reports.

     

    No reply needed or requested.  Thanks

     

    --

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"

    http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com

     

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 8:50 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

    From about 8AM (first time I tried, could have been earlier) until about 8:30AM I could get to any forum page... but could not post because the login page was not available

     

    All seems to be working now (times are West Coast USA)

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 9:11 AM   in reply to John T Smith

    yes it just returned at 12 noon est. had been down since about 7 am this morning.

     

    I was hoping with the 5 hour hiatus that they would have updated Jive Clear Space to 4.x instead of the current 2.5.16.

     

    No such luck though. Well Maybe they fixed all the current bugs. One can only hope.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 10:34 AM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

    Jochem van Dieten wrote:

     

    Please stop posting these useless repeated messages. Just wait until it

    is back up.

    Frankly, i did not find it useless. It confirmed to me that there was a problem at the forum end and not at my end.

     

    Is it so difficult to just be a bit courteous and say, "Yes, the forums are down at the moment, please be patient. We expect it'll take at least x hours to be up again"?

     

    Obviously, PJones did not know what exactly the problem was and was testing.

     

    Frankly, as a moderator - or whatever your role is - i think you owe it to the forum visitors / members to be polite. While this may be a User-to-User forum, as a moderator (or whatever) you are representing Adobe.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 12:39 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

    PjonesCET wrote:

    I didn't see where anyone was admitting there was a problem. The forum

    administrator should have posted a message that there was a meltdown as

    soon as it was reported.

    Not only does adobe-admin need to log in to be able to post a message, which is kind of hard when the login system is down, you seriously expect somebody to be waiting around at 6 AM on the off chance that Philip Jones reports an issue and wants a response with 30 minutes? You do realize that not even a $50K platinum support contract gets you that sort of response times from Adobe?

     

    Posting the same issue in the same thread 4 times within an hour and a half is out of line. Generally speaking I can not imagine a single reason where it would be necessary to repost any message within 4 hours in the same thread. Any case I can imagine where it would be that urgent to get an immediate response that one might consider reposting within that timeframe would be security related, in which case picking up the phone and contacting the Adobe Product Security Incident Response Team would be a better solution.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 12:41 PM   in reply to shunithD

    shunithD wrote:

    Frankly, i did not find it useless. It confirmed to me that there was a problem at the forum end and not at my end.

    I see, the first 3 messages did not do so, but the fourth did.

    I see, the first 3 messages did not do so, but the fourth did.

    I see, the first 3 messages did not do so, but the fourth did.

    I see, the first 3 messages did not do so, but the fourth did.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 8:10 PM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

    Jochem van Dieten wrote:

     

    PjonesCET wrote:

    I didn't see where anyone was admitting there was a problem. The forum

    administrator should have posted a message that there was a meltdown as

    soon as it was reported.

    Not only does adobe-admin need to log in to be able to post a message, which is kind of hard when the login system is down, you seriously expect somebody to be waiting around at 6 AM on the off chance that Philip Jones reports an issue and wants a response with 30 minutes? You do realize that not even a $50K platinum support contract gets you that sort of response times from Adobe?

     

    Posting the same issue in the same thread 4 times within an hour and a half is out of line. Generally speaking I can not imagine a single reason where it would be necessary to repost any message within 4 hours in the same thread. Any case I can imagine where it would be that urgent to get an immediate response that one might consider reposting within that timeframe would be security related, in which case picking up the phone and contacting the Adobe Product Security Incident Response Team would be a better solution.

     

    No special treatment is expected. But in off chance someone reads it, then they could notify proper parties. There were several problems.
    Intially you couldn't even bring up page through the link in notification email. Then the sign server was down.
    He could have notified everyone just like I did, email through the email notifications.



     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 9:10 PM   in reply to Jochem van Dieten

    Jochem van Dieten wrote:

    .

    Not only does adobe-admin need to log in to be able to post a message, which is kind of hard when the login system is down, you seriously expect somebody to be waiting around at 6 AM on the off chance that Philip Jones reports an issue and wants a response with 30 minutes?

    Well... you seemed to have been around to castigate him... all you need have done was, as i said, post a courteous response. There was absolutely no need to be rude.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2011 4:40 AM   in reply to shunithD

    Well, obviously these rules

     

    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414764

     

    are valid for us users, but not for some of the people who aren't mere users. At least, some of these rules...

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2011 6:06 AM   in reply to Claudio González

    Claudio González wrote:

     

    Well, obviously these rules

     

    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414764

     

    are valid for us users, but not for some of the people who aren't mere users. At least, some of these rules...

     

    Quite...

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2011 6:42 AM   in reply to shunithD

    shunithD wrote:

     

    Jochem van Dieten wrote:

    .

    Not only does adobe-admin need to log in to be able to post a message, which is kind of hard when the login system is down, you seriously expect somebody to be waiting around at 6 AM on the off chance that Philip Jones reports an issue and wants a response with 30 minutes?

    Well... you seemed to have been around to castigate him... all you need have done was, as i said, post a courteous response. There was absolutely no need to be rude.

    Hey I am use to the treatment by JVD. He consideres me a fly that needs to be swatted. It doesn't make any difference to me. Ever since he has been on this list as moderator. He has gone out of his way to act this way toward myself in cases like this. But I am not leaving I've benn around 10 15 years and he is not going to run me off.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2011 6:47 AM   in reply to Claudio González

    The forum rules don't apply to JVD he is allowed to do what ever he wants.

     

    I appricates the comments on my behalf. But JVD won't listen so it useless to go on he abides by his own rules.

     

    Let us let the thread drop or switch to a different aspect, rather my treatment.

     

    Thanks everyone.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2011 7:38 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

    PjonesCET wrote:

     

    <snipped>

     

    Let us let the thread drop or switch to a different aspect, rather my treatment.

     

    Thanks everyone.

    A gentleman i see...

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2011 8:45 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

     

     

    The forum rules don't apply to JVD he is allowed to do what ever he wants.

     


     

    Is JVD and employee of Adobe or is he just another "casual" user like everyone here who spends all his time here to have the privilege to do whatever he wants?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2011 10:43 AM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

    In very general terms, most MOD's are not Adobe employees, though many Adobe employees also have MOD consoles, and can do some "housekeeping."

     

    Though not always the case, Adobe urges their employees to use the "Employee" badge, so that others know of their employment.

     

    Just some observations,

     

    Hunt

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2011 2:47 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

    Beware, you are posting the same complaint less than six months before the first time...

     

    Incidentally, a few days ago I changed my cable connection to one twice as fast. This is confirmed by using three different sites to check my connection speed. But now it's taking me longer than before to do anything in these forums. Things fly in all other sites.

     

    Sorry, I had forgotten we have just to shut up and sit to wait for things to improve...

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2011 3:21 PM   in reply to Claudio González

    Beg pardon.  I'm new at this.  |I didn't think the first msg went  through.

     

     

    In a message dated 8/17/2011 2:48:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, 

    forums@adobe.com writes:

     

    Beware,  you are posting the same complaint less than six months before the

    first  time...

     

    Incidentally, a few days ago I changed my cable  connection to one twice as

    fast. This is confirmed by using three different  sites to check my

    connection speed. But now it's taking me longer than before  to do anything in

    these forums. Things fly in all other  sites.

     

    Sorry, I had forgotten we have just to shut up and sit to  wait for things

    to  improve...

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2011 5:06 PM   in reply to RichardJFel

    RichardJFel wrote:

     

    Beg pardon.  I'm new at this.  |I didn't think the first msg went  through.

     

    ...

    If by "the first" you mean the opening message, anyone responding another participant in the middle of the thread had to at least have taken a look at it...

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2011 6:10 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

    The inauguration month of September for the new forum software - is it still on schedule or has been postponed until Christmas?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2011 12:13 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

    Still on...

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points