Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Incorrect disk critically low error in LR 3.3

Mar 3, 2011 9:08 PM

I have Lightroom 3.3 on a Windows 7 x64 machine. It's started to throw a disk critically low warning every few days for the drive that has my LR catalog on it. The drive has 390GB free

Has anyone else seen this before? Is it a known issue? How do I make it go away?

Thanks,

Neil

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 3, 2011 9:18 PM   in reply to missamo80

Test the disk to make sure it isn't failing. Also, try deleting all the stuff in the recycle bin.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2011 11:02 PM   in reply to missamo80

Defrag the drive.

How did you test the drive to say it is "just fine"?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 4:35 AM   in reply to missamo80

NTFS or FAT32?  As suggested elsethread, how did you test the drive?

A defrag might not be a bad idea if the disk has got into a pathological state.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 6:26 AM   in reply to missamo80

Do you, by any chance, have your page file set at a fixed size? If so, change the setting by either increasing the max size alloted to the page file or by letting Windows manage the size. I saw this a few times on Vista 32 bit until I changed back to letting Windows manage the page file size.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 10:07 AM   in reply to missamo80

The windows error tool really won't show much about your drives and the condition of them. You need to access the SMART info for the temperature they are running at (anything over 35 C is really bad news). There are lots of free apps that will give you a better idea of drive condition, sometimes supplied by the manufacturers. Try google.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 5:04 PM   in reply to missamo80

As suggested elsethread, you need to look at something that peaks use and then releases space on that volume.  There are a few cases where the OS can issue this message. An app can only respond and report on this condition.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 9:31 AM   in reply to missamo80

You could install one of the utils from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545046 Sysinternals and see if you can see what system call is failing, and when, and on what file item.

Those of you who need to defrag the SQLite catalogue should look there, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 11:44 AM   in reply to clvrmnky

Has anyone figured out what's causing this? I just started having the exact same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2011 3:02 PM   in reply to avpman2

This error is reported here every couple of months or so. It always seems to happen just occasionally on the problematic systems, and it seems to do no real harm, other than worrying the victims. I haven't run across any workarounds, fixes, or explanations. Personally, if it were happening to me every so often, I'd ignore it.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 5:57 AM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

It is a problem when LR can't write metadata because of "low" disk space. I really wish we could solve this

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points