Skip navigation
prkadobe
Currently Being Moderated

Locked files when moving from PSE9 Windows to PSE9 Mac

Mar 8, 2011 4:36 PM

I just transferred my pse9 catalog from my windows pc to a new mac (10.6 OS). I can see all the photos in my catalog on the mac, but although I can delete photos from the mac, I can't delete them from the mac hard drive (I get a message saying "one or more of the files is locked or read-only). I have been to the apple store, and they can't see why this would be an issue, as all the files have the proper permissions, etc. Any thoughts? I want to use PSE9 on the mac but need to be able to delete unwanted photos from the mac hard drive. Thanks!.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2011 4:38 PM   in reply to prkadobe

How did you do this transfer? Did you do a backup in PSE 9/windows and restore to the mac?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 7:06 PM   in reply to prkadobe

Do a get info on one of the locked files. Does it show as locked in get info?

locked.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 7:07 PM   in reply to prkadobe

And where did you restore to?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2011 11:26 AM   in reply to prkadobe

If you create a new catalog and import one of the undeletable files, does it behave the same way? Also, can you option-delete any of them?

At this point, I think I would just try clearing out everything and running the restore again. I don't know what else to suggest--this isn't any kind of known issue, and you say all the permissions are right. It's pretty common for images from windows cds to appear locked in OS X, but then they do show the locked checkbox as on.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2011 12:21 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Can I ask if you have a Pictures folder under Places on your MAC? In Finder there are 3 main headings in the left Pane - Devices, Places, Search For. Its the Picture folder under Places I ask about.

This is the best place to Restore to when moving photo's. You can then put them where you like but its where a Mac looks first & where they want to appear as a Catalogue in PSE9.

There is no reason why the retore shouldn't work in the Documents Folder but it doesn't always.

Sorry if you know all this but I have an iMac & a old PC but it does run Vista so constantly having issue that need resolved & it takes ages.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2011 2:41 PM   in reply to prkadobe

Great, glad you got it working.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to prkadobe

I am adding to this thread because I am having the same problem, but on a PC, and have to assume the issue must not be as uncommon as you think.

My problem is a little different, in that the majority of my photos are stored on an external harddrive. (I keep only the most recent photos on the laptop.) After purchasing a laptop, I upgraded (finally) from PSE 3 to PSE 9 and imported all photos into the new program, leaving their storage location on the external.

I have no problem deleting an unwanted photo from my computer's hard drive, but when deleting from the external hard drive I get the "read only or locked...cannot be deleted from hard drive" message. The photo will then delete from my catalog (I don't seem to have an option to cancel), and I then have to find the actual picture and do another delete from the external hard drive. A huge hassle.

Any additional suggestions other than a total reinstall?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to wanda1101

Total re-install will not fix this problem.

Have you checked the permission on the external HD?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to dj_paige

You may be on to something, DJ. The last computer ran XP and this drive was only used on my account and I was an administrator. Hopefully, I can figure out how to easily change the permission. We have people coming for dinner, so I will hopefully figure it out late this evening or tomorrow.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to wanda1101

Hope you're still around, DJ. I am just now getting back to this. I changed permissions on the exernal to allow everyone full control, and still get the error message saying files are "read only or locked and cannot be deleted from the hard drive". I can delete from PSE organizer, and then find the file on the hard drive and delete it that way, so it appears that the issue is with PSE organizer.  Does that make sense to you?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points