Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Support for Audio, and Eventually, Presenter and Captivate Conversion

Mar 8, 2011 10:16 AM

I undertstand that Wallaby is still very much in development, but as Adobe is looking for feedback, I think it's useful to directly address where and how Wallaby can be used to improve Adobe's existing product line. For me, Wallaby could be used to export Adobe Presenter presentations and Adobe Captivate demonstrations into a HTML5/CSS3/JS format so that content created using those applications would be viewable on iOS devices. I understand that you can view Flash-based content on Adroid OS and (soon) Blackberry Playbook devices, but given that a huge chunk of the mobile world uses iOS, they're going to miss out on content created in those tools.

To get to that point, Wallaby would obviously need to have basic support for sound export. I don't think that full support for the ActionScript Sound API would be needed. Simple synchronization of playback to elements in the exported animation would be more than sufficient. That would require a bit of custom JavaScript and supporting the different versions of the <audio> tag across platforms, but I'm sure that the team at Adobe is smart enough to figure out how to do this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2011 11:20 AM   in reply to Brian Klaas

Thanks for the feedback. We've gotten some other user feedback with interest in repurposing Adobe Captivate and Adobe Presenter and will keep this in mind as a future direction.

Michael O'Rourke

Adobe Wallaby Team

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2011 5:30 AM   in reply to Brian Klaas

I would like to echo this post.  I'm excited to see attempts to work with Adobe products  for iOS, and hope to see advancements allowing for support of Presenter and Captivate.   Thanks for the post.  Hoping to see further development!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2011 6:24 AM   in reply to Brian Klaas

Captivate support would indeed be great!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2011 6:42 PM   in reply to Brian Klaas

One of the Adobe Product Evangelists did an experiment and found that he could get HTML5 from Adobe Captivate 5 content. Please see his video at http://rjacquez.com/converting-adobe-captivate-5-to-html5-via-wallaby- video/.

Note that because of Wallaby limitations this will only work for Captivate recordings that don't have audio but this may still be useful to some of you.

Michael O'Rourke

Adobe Wallaby Team

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2011 7:23 AM   in reply to michael.orourke

This has great possibilities. The company I work for wants me to stop using Captivate and start using using force ten or some other web based LCMS because all my flash based content can not play on the iPhone and iPad.

If there is a way I can salvage five years of flash content converted with Wallaby it will help out a lot. Please request captivate and presenter product managers prepare a tip sheet for content converted through wallaby.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2011 7:33 AM   in reply to cb1984

I assume you are using audio in your presentations? At this time Wallaby doesn't support audio so that may be the biggest stumbling block for a workflow of Captivate=>FLA=>Wallaby=>HTML5.

I'd like to understand more about what kind of content you and other Captivate customers want to enabled on iOS devices. Taking a Captivate presentation intended for a PC and just scaling down the size to fit on an iPhone seems like it wouldn't work very well. Are folks actually making new recordings separate for small screens (i.e. smartphones) or do you simply want to reuse existing PC content and have it scale-to-fit on smartphones?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2011 9:20 AM   in reply to michael.orourke

Could you give me a call sometime. I would love to discuss this issue and suggest some ideas I have to tackle flash free authoring using existing adobe tools for elearning.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 11:13 PM   in reply to michael.orourke

Our company is using Captivate to produce eLearning. Besides the possibilities to record screen casts in Captivate, we also utilize the interactive features like branching, slidelets and the powerful(!) slidevideo features where the video can be synchronized with other objects on the slide. These features are, in most cases, enough so that we can stick to Captivate for the learning content production. Of course we utilize more elaborated animations as flv or swf files produced in Flash or 3D applications, but in our learning lab, we can treat those resources as video assets. We also use synchronized sound.

So, please please please look beoynd screen recording when you develop a solution for Captivate! I think that many eLearning producers would appreciate that a lot

Kind regards,

P-O

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2011 3:51 AM   in reply to Brian Klaas

We use the articulate packed to create professional development for educative. Would LOVE to see that on a teacher's iPad!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2011 1:35 PM   in reply to michael.orourke

Ditto -- would love to use it to convert existing Adobe Presenter content (some with video, some not) as well as recorded Adobe Connect content to HTML5.  We plan to test the existing Wallaby on the later in the next day or so.

Would also like/expect to see the ability in Adobe Presenter to alternatively publish to HTLM5.

While wishing, could we have it perform some automated resizing and alternative menu capability to output to mobile devises in HTLML5?

Do you have any kind of timeframe for these?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)