• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I stop Shockwave Flash from crashing?

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last few days I have been experiencing a problem viewing videos on web pages. The error message "The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash" appears across the top of the page and all the videos are black with a white logo in the middle. This is an intermittent problem throughout the day - so sometimes I can watch a video and other times not. Needless to say this is very frustrating.

I have the latest XP version and also the latest version of Google Chrome. Today I unistalled all Adobe programs (problem still continued) and then reinstalled them - so they are all the latest versions.

I have browsed through all the help pages and tried some of the suggestions - but the problem still persists.

To be honest, I had never even heard of ShockWave Flash until Friday last week when this first started happening!!

Does anyone have an answer for me..... please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, What version of IE are you using and do you have Flash Player Installed for that?

What browser and version are you using when you receive that message?

Do you use any browser other than IE/Chrome?

Do you have XP/with the Service Pack3 Installed/updated?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, i am having the exact same problem with Shockwave Flash as FORDHW is ... very frustrating to say the least!

I've had absolutely no problem with it and have been using it for years, then a week ago it began crashing on me also for some unknown reason which i have not been able to figure out. I am using windows 7 and Google Chrome Browser, have kept everything updated, including Shockwave Flash. I've researched, updated, uninstalled, reinstalled Google Chrome, tried an earier version of Chrome and even restored my computer to an earlier date and to no avail have i found a way to repair this Shockwave problem. I cannot view videos nor can i play any of the games in pogo or facebook that i have been playing for years without a problem. I also use Mathon & Slimbrowser and have tried Comodo Dragon as well only instead of Shockwave crashing in those browsers, everything is simply slow, choppy and then freezes for a few minutes at a time.

Why would this start happening out of the blue and what is the fix ... please help me with this! 

Chyklet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention ...

I have windows 7 - service pack 1

I have IE with flash installed, but do not and have not used that browser.

Google Chrome - version 10.0 is the browser i am experiencing this Shockwave Flash problem in ...

I appreciate and thank you for any and all help you can give on this issue!

Chyklet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 01, 2013 Jan 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i have windows 7 and using goole as browser just now i have all the latest Shockwave Flash installed and it keeps crashing is it the Stop-plugins that are not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem as FordHW, with the same set-up and in the same time-frame. I have also re-loaded flash player - to no avail. This all started when I installed Adobe 10. I only use Chrome as browser, although sometimes via/through/with? Iportal to watch UK tv. Crash occurs on webasites with moving images e.g. slides as well as video content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your responses! Glad to see I am not the only one with the

problem! I have IE 8 but only use Chrome as a browser. Google Chrome is the

latest version - I updated it yesterday. And XP has Service Pack 3

installed.

As I said before - this only started last week - and occurs on websites with

moving images - even the banner ads are affected. BUT as luck would have it

there have been NO problems so far today! I find this most strange!!

Last week I did download a PDF creation program - FoxTab PDF Convertor, and

I thought this may have triggered it off, but if others are having the same

problem this possibly has nothing to do with it. Incidentally, trying to

delete this program was a mission too - eventually uninstalled it via

CCleaner! It still appears in Add/Remove Programs and clicking on Remove

does nothing!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meant to add that after unistalling FoxTab PDF Convertor I also did a system restore to the day before I downloaded it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke too soon! It's just gone down again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found solution - go to  Google help  - search for" shockwave flash crash" and take advice of Shawn, a Google employee - re a sony solution -quick and easy and its apparently worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK -thanks! Have downloaded this so let's wait and see!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such luck! Still crashing! Seems to be ok during the early part of the

day, but from mid-afternoon it crashes..... I'm in South Africa, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm sorry you're running into these crashes on Chrome.  We're very interested in reproducing this internally.  Any additional information you can give, such as URLs, system info (please see this page for steps on gather this information) or any other pertinent info would be greatly appreciated.  Please feel free to email the info to the email link on the page linked above or you can email me directly at ccampbel@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I had solved this -see earlier posts.Had no problems yesterday after that.  However the problem is back again today - happened when I went to my home page -www.waitrose.com and again at www.adobe.com/support and again at www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what's SO frustrating! I was watching videos on YouTube earlier and

browsing news web pages with no problems. And then about 15 mins ago the

problem started again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The info that Chris Campbell posted will be helpful as the Adobe Flash Player Team and Youtube work together trying to solve this issue.

Both Adobe and Youtube are aware of this and they will be the ones that will solve this.

Troubleshooting Flash Player Video Issues Flash Player 10 and later can use your system’s graphics hardware to accelerate video decoding. Flash Player 10.2 and later can also accelerate video presentation on some sites, accelerating all aspects of video playback.

If you are experiencing video playback issues in Flash Player, it is possible that your graphics card driver software has incompatibility issues. Please follow the steps in the following article to troubleshoot these issues and help provide Adobe with information that can be used to improve Flash Player.

Troubleshooting and Reporting Flash Player Video Issues

: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html

This includes all Platforms

This was a Sticky that Chris put up, but due to the Technical problem that the Forum has experienced, I don't see it now.

There are 2 things that those that are experiencing this issue can try until it is fixed.

Hope this is helpful and that you and others will report to Adobe using what he posted earlier. Each person's system is different and they are trying to document that. URL's, OS used browser info and so on.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris has been really supportive with trying to sort out this problem! He

suggested a few options for me to try (but still crashing) and also

requested a number of reports from me which I sent through last week.

But thought I would let you guys know that on Sunday morning I decided to go

back to IE8 and downloaded the latest version of Flash for that. Since then

NO problems whatsoever! BUT Google Chrome is still crashing intermittently!

So perhaps the problem is on Google's side.....

I'm going to be sticking with IE8 until a solution is found!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just like to add that I've been having the same problem for months now.

It's happening in every browser I've tried, including IE, Firefox (both 3.6.x and 4), Chrome and Opera.

It strikes me that in both Firefox 4 and Opera, Flash doesn't always crash, but instead makes the browser unresponsive for about half a minute.

For me, the crashes almost never happen during YouTube playback, but mostly while playing Flash games.

I tried going back to Flash 10.1  and 10, but to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2011 Apr 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been having this problem, in both IE and Chrome.  I have Vista and have uninstalled and re-installed Adobe, but it continues to crash.  I thought FaceBook might be at fault so I asked if anyone else was having the problem and only one other person responded.  HELP!!!  this is very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2011 Apr 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the problem in IE, but still experiencing it with Chrome - very

frustrating!

Will send Chris Campbell of Adobe another email to see whether they have

come up with any solution yet! I sent him a number of data reports a few

weeks ago - so hopefully they are working on it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I understand the frustration and we hear you loud and clear.  We are actively working on this problem with Google and hope to have this resolved soon.  For those that are crashing, could you navigate to the following, windows only, page in Chrome:  about:conflicts

Once there, look to see if you have an software entry with the name "Rooks/Dolomite"  If so, you might require an update to Trusteer's Rapport.  Here's more info from Trusteer:

Dear Rapport users,

Thank you all for your feedback about our Beta version, regarding the Google Chrome Plug-in crashes.
It indeed seems we have successfully fixed the issue and so we have now finished uploading a stable version of the software that contains the fix you have been using.
This version is now available for download in the following link:
http://download.trusteer.com/Gcur4Wtnu/RapportSetup.exe

You do not need to uninstall the current version, you can simply install this version over the existing one.
Please make sure to restart your computer after the installation process is completed.

Sincerely,

Nitsan Bleiberg
Head of Technical Support
Trusteer

Additional details can be found on the following Google Chrome thread (see page 10):  http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=0d782f19a7a1a9ec&hl=en

Another thing to note, after reading through that thread it appears that the latest Chrome beta might also be helping some users out.  It's something to consider trying to if you're finding Chrome release is to unstable to use properly.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines