• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 10 causing Windows XP to crash

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing Flash 10 and above updates, whenever I'm loading Flash Player from Firefox or IE my computer system (Windows XP) crashes nearly immediately, blue screen of doom. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times with the same reaction. I've checked the system requirements for running it and everything seems compatible, I've also tried Microsoft's site for system updates, but nothing seems to be working.

As a web designer, having updated and functional Flash Player is important to me, so any advice would be greatly welcome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Flash Player is a browser plugin and works thru the browsers, not "loaded" as a stand alone would be. Perhaps you mean loaded as in "start" IE or FF?

What Service Pack is Installed on the XP?

Is this a 32bit or 64bit OS?

Using each browser, test here. You should see the Flash logo animate(spin) and what version of Flash Player is displayed?

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

We want to make sure the basic function of Flash Player is working and the test site is helpful for that.

So let me know on the above and that may give a clue of what is happening.

Thanks,

eidnolb  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reponse eidnolb!

By loaded, I meant whenever a Flash item would load in a browser. The Flash item would function fine, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes just a few seconds before my whole computer (not just the web browser) would crash and the blue screen would show.

Anyways, after analyzing the blue screen errors, I realized they were occuring in two items specifically: watchdog.sys and ati2dvag. Even though nothing on the Dell (my computer brand) or Microsoft mention updates for my ATI display driver, I did it manually and now Flash 10.2 items run smoothly with no crashing.

Like other users mentioned, YouTube seems not to function on the main site, but I'm not too worried since it's probably a fault in their site which I'm sure they'll update soon.

Posting the solution just in case other users have problems! If you experience the same problem, check to see if your display driver is out of date!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Well perhaps that latest Flash Player update was too much for the driver:-) Not really, but the new Technology with it does direct attention to the graphic driver needing updated. That and in addition you can UNcheck the hardware acceleration feature at that test site in my previous message. Right click on that Flash Player logo, click Settings and Display Settings. UNcheck the h.a. there.

Restart your browser and see if that helps in viewing the youtube videos.

Now one thing I'd like to mention is that the Adobe Flash Player Team are wanting to document issues with the latest Flash Player version and issues such as you and others are having. If you would like to give them feedback directly, it would be appreciated as they are trying to duplicate these in house. The link to that is:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html#main_For_Windows_users

I'm sure they would appreciate it if you have the time.

Thanks for posting your findings and yes it will help others. I watched some of the sample StageVideos last night, very nice!!

Take a look: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/stagevideo.html

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyways, after analyzing the blue screen errors, I realized they were occuring in two items specifically: watchdog.sys and ati2dvag. Even though nothing on the Dell (my computer brand) or Microsoft mention updates for my ATI display driver, I did it manually and now Flash 10.2 items run smoothly with no crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings bm 813,

I'm far from a "techie". I have a similar problem as You. I, too own a Dell Win XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 / Win XP Professional (maybe)

I'll try to be concise & to the point.

eidnolb is really a knowlegeable person. I've had this problem w/ Adobe Flash Player & IE 8 for at least 3 weeks. Read thru most of his Forum advice. I tried to follow it. BUT NO Luck! Have UNInstalled / REinstalled FP Zillions of times. Tested each time I did what was suggested. It never recognizes FP as being installed, w/ the little Box that would tell you it works w/ the F Logo and the version # appearing in the Box. All I ever get  no matter what version of FP I attempt to install FP 10. ActiveX;  FP 10. Plug-In for IE 8. I'm ready to give UP! I know Adobe Flash Player has serious problems. What's simplier than installing a prog. The exception is Adobe FP newest ver. Sorry for rambling.

So the problem originated having trouble Installing the Program from the Adobe Site.

The little bar that appears ActiveX Controls - to D/L the file appears, I click NOTHING. Then it usually crashes, or IE 8 says it fixed the Tab, but the computer hangs Up.!!!!!!

I think I have issues w/ NOT have ActiveX Controls for Adobe /FP etc. Yet I can D/L other files/Programs, etc. at other Sites.

I click on the ACTIVEX Control bar and it works! Just NOT at the Adobe Site.

Thats One Major issue.

The second major Problems is IF I Install a different ver. of Adobe FP IE 8 say for Plug-In. Every time I attempt to Install the Prog / Application I check the Add or Deelte Programs - They usually appear.

When I check Manage Add-Ons FP Never appears!  So much for Manage Add-Ons. I've checked this section with ALL the Different ways to View the Add-Ons, etc. Adobe Reader Shockwave, appear & are enabled. NO Adobe Flash Player!!

So Problem w/ ActiveX Controls & Manage Add-Ons.

In my humble opinion. How does one go about trying to fix the  Installation & Recognition of Good old FP 10. for IE 8. ?????

I give Up!!!

That's why I contacted You, & NOT eidnolb. I eventually will, UNLESS You can help. A fellow Dell owner! ( I don't remember how old My Dell is circa XP Home Edition ....

I was intrigued w/ your comment about Updating the Drivers for ATi, whatever. I think I have that on/in My Dell as well. I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO UPDATE THE DRIVERS. Some where, some while ago I remember doing exactly that,   BUT I DON'T Remember Know how. Of course, that may NOT rectify NY problems w/ FP 10.  IE 8 .....

The other thing eidnolb discusses all the time w/ all the other victims of Adobe FP 10.  ... is trying to find a file to ENABLE FP .

I think the Manade Add-On he talks about is SHOCKWAVE Flash Object - that has to be Enabled, I think. Where it is & how one checks for it I DON'T KNOW.

Then last but NOT LEAST is :  thanks to being ATTACKED by the infamous AVG Virus (HI-Jacked zillions of things on my computer. I've " Cleaned that Up w/ MALwear Anti-Virus Program MBAB suggested by eidnolb!!!

Last  which I really DON'T comprehend or KNOW anything about is: Kill Bit something  ....... ???

If You can help w/ any suggestions I'd be greatful. Sorry for this lengthy e-mail.

That the other thing IF You could condense this in a fashion that eidnolb would appreciate receiving as an e-mail. That would be terrific.

I think I've followed most of what he has suggested for the Zillions of other FP IE 8 victims.  But NOTHING WORKS SHORT OF WHERE'S THE ACTIVEX CONTROLS; WHY NO FP 10. ADD-ONS EVER APPEARING, ETC..

I think I'm up to the issue of : find that file Shockwave FLASH Object ???? eidnolb, & yourself my know about this But I don't know what to do when it comes to this issue. As well as, the KILL bit something  .....

Thanks for your time. Appreciate anything you can suggest. Maybe you can condense ALL MY problems in a more clear & Techie fashion for eidnolb to comprehend. Past this onto to Him, & He/ & You can Make HIS suggestions to FIX MY Problems.

BTW - I went to Mozilla FireFox the highest Beta Ver. & INSTALLED What I had to INSTALL, IT WORKS !!!

Keeping my fingers crossed.

One LAST item, somewhere I saw D/L Active X Programs, that in ActiveX Controls using one of the many Programs I use  - that there's a DAMAGE file in Red ( E 2883E8F- 472F-4FBO-9522-AC9BF379. Found using Gary Utilities!

Should I deleted, or BLOCK IT ???

Thanks,

Buffrep

buffrep@msn.com

buffrep@live.com

Message was edited by: BuffRep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BuffRep:  I understand you posted in this topic because a fellow Dell user got his/her problem resolved.  However, your problem is completely different; nothing to do with device drivers.

Most likely you have the "kill-bit" for Flash Player set.  Try the following, to quickly fix that without having to go into the registry.

Does Flash Player work now on Internet Explorer?  Test it at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2011 Mar 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To All the Helpful People in the Adobe FP IE 8 Section:

Thank You, Thank YOU !!!

Especially eidnolb, & bm 813! Especially the inverted user tep revalliw ??

Probably didn't type this correctly his User name is inveted.

He is Above all the creator & originator of the KILL-BIT for FP set.

This IS what corrected the problem.

IF I can make a suggestion Place this in a prominent place in the Forum, especially for IE 8 users & others!!

Thanks again & a ZILLION "THANK YOUS, To One & All!!

Way To GO ADOBE!!

Have a Happy!

buffrep

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:29:56 -0600

To: buffrep@msn.com

Subject: Flash 10 causing Windows XP to crash

@BuffRep: I understand you posted in this topic because a fellow Dell user got his/her problem resolved. However, your problem is completely different; nothing to do with device drivers.

Most likely you have the "kill-bit" for Flash Player set. Try the following, to quickly fix that without having to go into the registry.

• close all web browser windows

• download the Remove_kill-bit.zip file from the bottom of this post http://forums.adobe.com/message/3434922#3434922

• open the zip file and run the Remove_kill-bit.reg file inside.

Does Flash Player work now on Internet Explorer? Test it at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To ALL the People who contribute to solving the problems of using FP w/ IE 8 :

Sorry for the Ramblin' &/or incoherent original posting. ( I thought it was only going to One User )

At that point In Time I was going to lose it &/or Charlie Sheene It!  NOT Winning!!!

A HUGE Collective "THANK YOU !!! "

User name Adobe.png

Especially to YOU!

He/She is the user who contributed the Kill-Bit D/L file!

That's what FIXED the Problem. Newest ver. of FP works properly w/ IE 8!

Keeping my fingers crossed.

&  eidnolb, & bm 813 a Zillion Thanks To One & All.

IF I may suggestion, Please Post this message in a more prominent for the troubled IE 8 user of the Newest ver. of FP!

[ Believe It or Not, that was the only suggestion I didn't try because I was afraid of the damage I could cause to the Registry! That's what corrected the problem after 4 weeks of attempted repairs / fixes.]

A Zillions Thank You's To One & All.

Grateful,

buffrep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BuffRep,

Glad that fixed your problem!! Viruses/Malware is strange. Sometimes with a Virus the Kill-bit is set and sometimes it isn't. But the Virus has damaged something and the user still can't get Flash Player to work.

I think it depends on the Virus/Trojan/Malware. Different ones, different damage. I've heard that even some Anti-Virus programs set that Kill-bit. I haven't any proof, just what I've heard. If I had any spare time, I'd find out.

Stay safe out there in the jungle and don't click on anything that says: Warning! Alert! Just close your browser and run your Anti-Virus Scanner.  There is a nasty Virus called "antivirus8" or "AV8" and users think it is the legitimate Anti-Virus AVG.

This Virus even is using the legit AVG logo, so avoid/or be careful if you use AVG.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greeting,

Thanks for all Your Help! I tried & followed almost everyone of your Zillions of Fixes, w/ the Exception of the Kill-Set.

Then I became brave & Tried It. Amazing!!

Not too annoy you ( I know you don't have any spare time, w/ all that's happening w/ Adobe 10.2 ...)

Quick Question - An ActiveX / Com Issue In ProServer32/C: program files (STOPZILLA!)

Long file w/ tons of numbers etc.

Do I DELETE this file when it comes up in one of the many Utilities that I run { Glary; CCleaner )

Yes or No ?

Thanks for the Suggestion to use MBAM ! Run it all the time.

Here we go again, "antivirus8" or "AV8", don't these people have anything better to do w/ their lives then to create Viruses!!

Have a Happy!

BuffRep

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:40:36 -0600

To: buffrep@msn.com

Subject: Flash 10 causing Windows XP to crash

Hi BuffRep,

Glad that fixed your problem!! Viruses/Malware is strange. Sometimes with a Virus the Kill-bit is set and sometimes it isn't. But the Virus has damaged something and the user still can't get Flash Player to work.

I think it depends on the Virus/Trojan/Malware. Different ones, different damage. I've heard that even some Anti-Virus programs set that Kill-bit. I haven't any proof, just what I've heard. If I had any spare time, I'd find out.

Stay safe out there in the jungle and don't click on anything that says: Warning! Alert! Just close your browser and run your Anti-Virus Scanner. There is a nasty Virus called "antivirus8" or "AV8" and users think it is the legitimate Anti-Virus AVG.

This Virus even is using the legit AVG logo, so avoid/or be careful if you use AVG.

Regards,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2011 Mar 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Zillions, Ha-Ha Seems like it sometimes!!  Do you have Stopzilla Installed? It sounds like it. It's  in your program files

if you want it and use it as others are.

I don't use Ccleaner or Glary, so don't know what happens when they are run other than what I've read.

My XP runs well, so I just try to keep Installed what is necessary:-)

Perhaps Pat may know if he sees your question.

Viruses-not good no matter where they come from.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines