• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why isn't flash player being recognised?

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've been unable to view internet videos etc for about 3 weeks.   It was working fine before then. I get the message "You need to upgrade Flash to version 9.0.155 or higher".

I'm running Vista 32-bit

IE 9

I have installed Flash Player 10.2.152

Macromedia file folder in W32 shows the files are there, including the.ocx file

IE Add-Ons show Adobe Shockwave Flash Object as enabled.

Active X filtering is turned off.

Internet zone security is medium.

Using Zone Alarm and AVG-free edition.
No viruses detected.

I have tried uninstalling Flash, re-start, then reinstalling.

I run install as administrator.

Must have uninstalled and re-installed at least 10 times.

Would be grateful for help on this forum.

(I've also done the registry check suggested in  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/657743 and values are OK)

Message was edited by: rose_i_am

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well you seem to have covered most of what is needed.

Can you see the Flash Player logo(Red F) animate using IE9? Also what version is Displayed?

Do you use a Router?

The Zone Alarm, is this the Anti-Virus program or just the Firewall?

What website did you see the message from?

When you Uninstalled/Installed, did you do that manually or use the direct links?

Did you Disable your Anti-Virus programs during the procedure?

thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Thanks for response.  Answers as follows:

No animation appears on the shockwave welcome/test page.

The laptop has a wi-fi connection to the BT Home Hub D-router.  Another PC with ethernet connection to that same router and W7/IE8 does not have any problem with Flash.

Zone Alarm is firewall only.

BBC iplayer gives message that I need to install flash 9 or higher.

You Tube just shows white area where normally see video.  No message.

I originally clicked the link to upgrade.

Following failure that way I've tried manually downloading.... many times ..

both uninstall and install.

And done lots of restarts between too.

I turned off AVG virus when downloading and closed IE when told to do so.

*Thanks Blondie (?) *

After posting above I decided to remove Zone Alarm and restarted. Turned on Windows Firewall instead.
Manually uninstalled  Flash and reinstalled again but unfortunately hasn't made any difference 😞

Message was edited by: rose_i_am

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, lost the message Will try again.

Hi, thanks. You are not able to see the Flash Player logo, but yet you say the Shockwave Flash Object is enabled in the manage addons. Hmmm. Is that add on the same version, 10.2.152.32?

In addition you have the ActiveX Filtering turned off. You should be able to see the Flash logo.

Since you are using AVG, there is a nasty "antivirus8" or "AV8". Better known as the AVG Virus. You may receive a pop up thinking it is AVG, even complete with the AVG logo, don't click on it. That's the Virus. Have you experienced any of that? As far as I can tell, this Virus requires user "action", i.e. clicking on their link.

Whether they set the Kill-bit or not doesn't seem to matter, or whether AVG sets it when it's done, I don't know yet. I do know that users that don't have the Kill-bit set, but have/had that Virus or any other can cause an issue with that Shockwave Flash Object.

I have been wanting to get to the AVG site and see what if anything they are doing on this, but just haven't gotten their yet.

Did you have IE9 when Installing Flash Player 10.2.152.32 or did you Install IE9 after updating FP?

Also do you have the latest Service Pack Installed for Vista?

Let me know on these.

Just a note the Flash Player Forum has been having Technical Issues since Monday morning, so we're having problems in sending messages. Hope this goes thru.

Thanks,

eidnolb (blondie? mostly:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes, Flash version showing in add-ons is 10.2.152.132

I definitely haven't seen any AVG pop-up and the other user says he didn't and wouldn't click on a pop-up.  I have to believe him !!  (It's his laptop I'm trying to sort, my PC is fine.)

IE8 was installed when the problem with Flash first occured.

I updated to IE9 to see if it resolved the problem.

Checked for MS updates today and all is up-to-date and update history shows all updates as having installed successfully.

Thx

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the following (assuming you have Adobe Flash Player installed):

• Restart your computer

• Open Internet Options (located in the Control Panel)

• Click on the Advanced tab

• Click on the Reset button, place a check next to Delete Personal Settings and then click Reset.

• Launch IE9 and Adobe Flash Player should now be properly enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you cnfrisch.  Just followed your instructions but .,...  flash player is still not being recognised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rose, Please don't follow this person's suggestions. As you can see they just registered and have been posting the message to you to many other threads. Copy & Paste is all this is. They don't read the threads to see what the problems are. This is their "solution" for every thread. 12 posts and they are all the same for the most part.

Some people like to harass others.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, noted.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ok thanks. There is a problem with the latest FP version and youtube videos. A Sticky was put up explaining this, but I've heard that some users can't see it. We've had technical issues with the Forum so that may be why. I'm going to copy it here.

Included are a couple of things you can do that may help. Let me know.

Sticky put up by Chris Campbell          3/16/11

Troubleshooting Flash Player Video Issues Flash Player 10 and later can use your system’s graphics hardware to accelerate video decoding. Flash Player 10.2 and later can also accelerate video presentation on some sites, accelerating all aspects of video playback.

If you are experiencing video playback issues in Flash Player, it is possible that your graphics card driver software has incompatibility issues. Please follow the steps in the following article to troubleshoot these issues and help provide Adobe with information that can be used to improve Flash Player.

Troubleshooting and Reporting Flash Player Video Issues

: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html

This includes all Platforms

As for fixing this, I'd recommend two things.  The first step to try is to update your video card driver (ATI, NVIDIA, Intel.)  This has helped a number of users and we'd be very interested to know how it works for you.  It even becomes more interesting if you can perform the DXDiag report before updating.

That last paragraph may be in the linked to article; wasn't sure but thot I'd include it in case it wasn't.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2011 Mar 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again eidnolb for trying to help me.  I do appreciate that you are not giving up on me.

I've looked at kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html instructions but there's no animation for me to right-click on. (I also looked at this on the PC that is working OK and can see what I'm supposed to do.)

However as that instruction mentioned making changes to the hardware accelerator setting, I've accessed that through using

'Run Direct X Diagnostic Tool'.

The message I got was 'Your current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings.'

I've also checked Monitor properties, update drivers 'WIndows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date'

and Windows updates show latest update for NVIDIA wass successful on 13 March (since the problem with Flash began.)

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again. That site and the instructions for the DX Diag tool and reporting info is what the Flash Player Team is using to document info from the User.

That is separate from what I do here, I've just been trying to furnish that on their behalf.

This test site is the one I want you to use. I see I had forgotten to inclued it in my previous posts.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

This will also display the current Flash Player version detected.

If you can see the Flash logo animation, try at the same test site to right click on the logo and click on Settings, then UNcheck the hardware acceleration in Display Settings.

Trying to find out conflicts isn't easy:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  That was the site I was using to test if there was any animation/advice of player installed version.

Still no animation, no player recognised.

(Using the OK PC I can see animation and version installed.)

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok thanks. Too many links:-)

I posted this on another thread a couple of days ago. See if it is having any effect on your situation.

A point about those using Win7 or IE9(final vs released 3/14). One of the features is called ActiveX Filtering. Win7 updated with a Service Pack 1. This Filter is included and now is with IE9 also.

To turn on ActiveX Filtering
In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

To turn off ActiveX Filtering on a specific website
In Internet Explorer, click the Filter button in the Address bar, and then click Turn off ActiveX Filtering.

To turn off ActiveX Filtering on all websites
In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/fea tures/activex-filtering

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Don't think your latest applies here.

Was using Vista and IE8 when the problem began.

Now Vista and IE9 and Active X filter turned off for all websites. (IE9 Tools and then it's displayed straightaway, no 'safety' tab showing.)

Thanks

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well we have covered most everything. I'd like you to take a look at this Kill-bit site. The one you went to is an older one and this one has been updated. My conclusion is that either this Computer has been infected or is infected with a Virus or the Kill-bit is set.

Go to this thread and follow these instructions: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/782435?tstart=0

open the registry editor: Start | Run | type regedit.exe
navigate to this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
if that key does not exist, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player is not set
if it contains a DWORD entry with the name Compatibility Flags that has any value other than 0x00000000, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player may be set

Read this carefully. You are just looking for this information. Don't do any changing or anything but look.

Check whether a Virus has been detected also.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, look don't touch.  I understand.

That registry key IS there.

The DWORD value is 0 x 00000000 (0)

AVG log going back to October 2010 has not detected any viruses.

Thanks

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for checking that. Now this is confusing to me. It says: if that key does not exist, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player is not set

So you are saying that Key is there?

Then it says: if it contains a DWORD entry with the name Compatibility Flags that has any value other than 0x00000000, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player may be set

So you do see that Key, but you don't see the 2nd part?

If this was my computer, here is what I would do. I would go to www.malwarebytes.org and download and SAVE to my Desktop the Free version. They I would update it(on the GUI). Then close it.

I would Disable in the addons these first & now.(You can re-enable them afterward)

AVG SafeSearch 
AVG Security Toolbar
AVG Security Toolbar BHO

Next, close all browser windows, you only want to be looking at your Desktop.

Disable AVG this way:

Resident Shield:
Open AVG User Interface. (Right Click to Open)
Double-click on the Resident Shield.
Un-tick the option Resident Shield active.
SAVE THE CHANGES

LinkScanner:
Open AVG User Interface.(Right Click to Open)
Double-click on the LinkScanner.
Un-tick the option Enable AVG Search-Shield and Enable Active Surf-Shield.
SAVE THE CHANGES

Once you have that done, Open MBAM(malwarebytes) and run a full Scan. If anything is found, follow the instructions.

When finished, close MBAM, re-enable your AVG/addons

Let me know if anything is found and on that Key above.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

*if that key does not exist, then the kill-bit for flash player is not set*

Yes I can confirm that Key is there

So does that means the kill bit MAY be there? ....

But as the compatabilty flags line does show value of ox00000000 (0)

then does that mean that although the kill bit MAY be there it is not set?

You say it's confusing to you.  What chance do I have then?  LOL

I've done what you asked disabling AVG exactly as you said.

Downloaded MBAM, scanned.  Made a txt file of the report. (Tried to paste it here but unable to)

No malicious threats found.

Just some spyware, now removed.  Restarted as directed.

AVG re-enabled.

IE add-ons as before showing flash 10.2 installed

but if I try to play video still get message that I don't have the correct level 9 or higher.

Your patience is amazing eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Yes it is confusing to me because the 2nd line seems to contradict the 1st line:-) I had heard of Kill-bits from Windows updates and understood what they were for. However Microsoft, whenever they would have any in their Windows Updates, would document which Company asked for that and the reason. The user did not have to Install that but had a choice. It most always was an ActiveX Control that a Company deemed compromised and requested that action from Microsoft.

Until 2 months ago, I was unaware that a Virus/Malware could do the same thing. Also I have heard, but not confirmed that some Anti-Virus Programs do that. What I do know is that Adobe does not do that, since they want Flash Player working for everyone

So removing this Kill-bit is new to me:-)

When MBAM ran the scan hopefully it was just spyware and nothing in the Registry? That would be the biggest concern.

I know the file attachment feature for the Forum has been disabled for some time.

I just worked on a thread within the last couple of days that they had this issue, but we never progressed as far as you and I have. He had to go out of town, but his son contacted Microsoft and the Father reported back that the Install of the IE9 was corrupted and Microsoft fixed it. But no details on what MS did or exactly what the issue was beyond that explanation.

That is a possibility here.

The fact that you don't see the logo and the fact that you can't turn off the hardware acceleration clearly shows that FP/Shockwave Flash Object is not working.

In that Post#4 at the Kill-bit site there is a zipfile. I don't see how it would hurt to use it. It is simple. I don't have a test machine, but just downloaded the zipfile & extracted the file to use.

Either that or you could contact Microsoft. I'm sure they have free support for their newly released IE9. I don't run out of patience and only send users to Microsoft when I think there may be a need. If there was a problem with the Install of IE9, I couldn't fix it if I never run out of patience:-)

I think if this were my computer, I would run that file to remove the Kill-bit whether I was sure it was there or not. Then I would consider contacting Microsoft.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Long post, but I think as I'm writing:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rose_i_am wrote:

But as the compatabilty flags line does show value of ox00000000 (0)...

Just to clarify, this value indicates that the "kill-bit" is not set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat, Glad you have some time to spend here. That Kill-bit line 2 & 1 is confusing to me. Am I to understand IF the Key is there AND the compatibility flag and the value other than 0x00000000 (0) THAT determines that the Kill-bit is set. BOTH of those must be there. Just the Key itself with the value this person has does NOT indicate the Kill-bit.

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. While you are here, would you mind checking the "flash weird stuff" thread?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2011 Mar 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb

My problem is getting IE (8 or 9) to recognise that flash player is resident on my pc.

One of the things I tried before asking for help was to download Google Chrome and I found that I could view videos using that.  So I signed up to a Microsoft forum as I assumed that the problem was within IE.  I found a helpful person on that forum too 🙂

Mr Helpful Person explained that Chrome (and some other browers) use a plug in flash version, not the add-on Flash that IE uses.  So after following his instructions to check the Adobe flash test page, uninstall reinstall etc and then to look in the registry for the kill bit, his advice was to try Adobe forum, which is how I arrived here.

I have carried out all the checks that you've suggested even when they were repeats of what I'd tried before.

Thanks

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Oh, I know:-) Chrome has Flash Player embedded and Google keeps it update, so FP doesn't need to be Installed as other browsers.

And yes, all browsers except IE use plugins. IE uses the ActiveX since this is Microsoft Technology. Anything in that browser can conflict with the Flash Player ActiveX Control. Anti-Virus addons etc. Any addon in the IE browser is a + or a-.

We haven't taken a look at those since the most important were all we've covered. Dealing with Virus issues, current or past, Kill-bit, Settings ,etc take priority over the addons. You had already done a lot of checking and some I needed to confirm.

Flash Player works thru the browser so whatever is in there, has an effect. Anti-Virus addons in the browser conflict the most, then others that are known.

Also, we haven't checked the System 32 Flash files. I know you have, but I haven't confirmed them, so let's do that.

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Post those Flash files along with the version numbers.

If you want to post some of the addons in IE, you don't need to post any Microsoft unless it's Silverlight. Sometimes that will conflict.

Have you checked the Java versions in Control Panel/Programs & Features? Jave also installes addons into the browser.

There are so many variables, that I guess is why they call it Troubleshooting.

Even after checking these things, I think either the Uninstall/Install of FP or the Install of IE9 didn't go well.

Since IE9 is new, I would tend to think the problem lies there. Just my opinion due to the fact that if that is a problem, then Flash Player would have a problem, even if Installed correctly along with that ActiveX Control(Shockwave Flash Object)

Let me know what you decide.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 🙂

System 32 files

Flash10n.ocx 5.87 MB

FlashInstall text document 43.3KB

FlashUtil10nActiveX.dll  305 KB

FlashUtill0n.ActiveX 10.2.152.32 230KB

Install text document 35 KB

IE Add-Ons

Shown as 'currently loaded' Adobe Shockwave Flash Object 10.2.152.32 enabled

This one only shown when I click for 'show all add-ons' Shockwave ActiveX control 11.5.9.620 enabled Is that Significant??

Google Toolbar

Microsoft Silverlight 4.0.601.29.0

Java Plug in 2 ssv helper 6.0.240.7

SVV helper class 6.0.247.7

Java Plug in 6.0.2.4

Java Plug in 1.6.0

Java Plug in 1.6.0_16

Java Plug in 1.6.0_24

Java Plug in 1.6.0_24  Yes, it really is listed twice.

Control Panel/Programs&Features shows
Javas (TM) 6 update 16

I had another look at the registry, having noticed that the add-ons provide the key reference if I look in the right place.  The key you asked me to look for to see if the kill bit was possibly there

D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000

is the reference on the FlashUtil10n.Active X file.  In the registry right next to that key is one that is very similar:

D27CDB70-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 with a value of 0x00010000 (65536)  Is that significant in any way?

Thanks again for your continued interest.

rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines