Skip navigation
Zareeba
Currently Being Moderated

Section markers and footnotes - section marker starts footnotes on wrong page

Mar 21, 2011 10:21 AM

I've placed section markers at the beginning of each chapter of a book I'm working on in Indesign CS5 so the footnotes will starts again at 1 at the beginning of each chapter. Most chapters are fine, but with 2 of them, even though I've placed the section markers in the right place, the footnotes start at 1 on the last page of the previous chapter. I've tried everything I can think of, but no matter where I place the section markers, the footnotes still start on the last page of the previous chapter. It's driving me nuts - can anyone help? Please??????

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 1:51 AM   in reply to Zareeba

I'm having the same problem now working on a book with over 1200 footnotes in Indesign CS6. It can be helped by specifying a page number for starting a section (lay-out, numbering and section options), but that isn't very handy: the first proof of the book will be reviewed by the author, so page shifts will occur.

Anyone got a better idea?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 2:03 AM   in reply to Fritschy

Check out my script. It can link section markers to paragraph styles. So

if you want your footnote numbering to start with 1 at the beginning of

each chapter, and you've got a paragraph style set up for your chapter

headings (presumably), the script will take the hard work out of setting

up the sections properly.

www.freelancebookdesign.com

Under the "scripts" tab, look for a script called "Section Stuff".

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to [Ariel]

Thanks for your reply. The demo version of the script seems to do the job excellently, so I just ordered the full version.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to Fritschy

You should have received it by now.

Thanks,

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to [Ariel]

I still had one problem: after using your script, I wanted to start page numbering after the table of contents, using roman numerals for the preliminary pages. (In the preliminary pages I didn't use the paragraph style where the section markers were linked to.) I ran into Zareeba's problem: the section started on the left page. (And the page frames shifted horizontally: left pages looked like right pages and vice versa.)

To solve this I first removed all section markers, using your script (just to be sure). Then I went to single page view instead of spread view and only then made new sections (for roman and arabic page numbering). Then I reran your script, this time without checking the box for removing existing section markers. Worked perfectly.

This may be a (late) answer to Zareeba.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points