Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How Has This Forum Been Behaving for You?

Feb 26, 2011 9:22 AM

Am I the only one having issues with the Adobe Forum?

This "stuff" started a few weeks ago, and has gotten progressively worse for me. I thought that Friday 18 was as bad as it could get, and then things did get better, until Friday 25. Now, on Saturday 26, it is almost impossible to do any work here.

I have to log-in for every post, and between each one, to see which threads are new, or updated for me. Sometimes, I have to log-in a half-dozen times, hitting Post Reply, as quickly as I can, to beat the log-outs.

One third of the time, I get the message that the server is down, so have to log-in, try, log-in, try, over and over.

Pages can take 5 mins. to load/refresh.

This is becoming painful, and seems to be getting worse by the hour (about the time that it takes to read and reply to 3 threads).

Am I alone?

Hunt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2011 9:42 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I have had similar problems but not today. I think it happens regionally at different times for different regions. By region, I mean there must be a number of servers in different physical locations (region ) that share the database. The nature of updating the database between these servers is controlled by different parameters in the db management ( which I haven't ever done.. just read about when I was using ms SQL Server ). For example, if a database item is "open" ( like reply to a thread ) there are "permissions" involved so that two people cant upload a reply at exactly the same time and potentially corrupt the database and stuff like that. Then if it is "edited" there are permissions involved ( if you want to edit but someone already accessed that item to "reply" the edit isnt going to apply to the same updated database because of the new reply posted while trying to edit). Anyway, then all this stuff going on has to be "shared" ( updated) among the different physical locations to bring everyone up to date ...as the database gets bigger and the number of people using the site gets larger this becomes tricky to manage.

An example might be some multinational corporation that sells stuff ( cars, whatever ) and updating the many country servers to reflect real time inventory is pretty difficult to keep up with and its the management of the database that does it.

I think thats whats going on here.  problems with the database management.

of course I could be totally WRONG..but I heard Ann say she was having trouble a while back, then I was having trouble, then I was OK but YOU had problems... it seems to drift around to different areas...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 10:20 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I visit Premiere & Acrobat & Dreamweaver & Photoshop and have had slowdowns and phantom logouts in ALL of those forums

Whatever is causing the problems, it is system wide (or 4 forum wide) from my perspective

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 12:13 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Our forum administrator is in the throes of trying to figure out what's going on. Yes, we've all been seeing these even-worse-than-usual problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 2:06 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Id like to know, just for the heck of it, whether any solution was "database management"  vs " equipment faltering " or routing bottlenecks etc. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 3:29 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I did see , as I was flipping thru the channels, some guy out there in cacti territory waving his arms like a windmill, and then pointing like a hunting dog, trying to describe to someone who apparently couldnt see him and didnt have radio contact, where somebody was supposed to drop their ball.

there was some discussion on the part of the tv announcers how long this sort of thing could go on. I think I heard one tv announcer say to the other tv announcer, " Could this go on for an hour or is there some rule about how long we have to watch that guy wave his arms around ? "

The guy waving his arms was standing near a really really big cactus like I've seen on the covers of cowboy books, except this particular cactus was split at the top and curled over .... like as if it had either

1) got hit by lightning or

2) was really one of those "eggs" from the movie "alien"....that opened up and shoots out a fast moving alien baby

so then the camera was on this guy dropping his ball ( wiped it off with a towel before he dropped it to make sure there was nothing on it to make it bounce in a wild sort of way )....which I found interesting....held his arm out straight and just dropped it...and it bounced kinda crazy like but settled OK I guess...but I don't think wiping it off first made much difference to be honest....

And then he whacked it between some tent and some big pole .....cause nobody could see where the green was or anything that resembled a "golf course" at that point....and miraculously it landed on the edge of the green.

I think if it was me I woulda used a 3 wood instead of the 5 iron he used...cause my beer belly gets in the way of my swing.

hehe...BEER THIRTY !

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 6:59 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The "Behaving" is just the

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 7:00 AM   in reply to Dag Norum

new Jive-"dance", write more

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to Dag Norum

than 5 words per post

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to Dag Norum

and you'll get kicked out

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 7:02 AM   in reply to Dag Norum

Dag

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 7:16 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

yesterday, and now today ( yesterday in daytime ( edt ) )  very slow ...long times waiting for adobe forum to connect...and got kicked off a few times....reclick "log in" and then my name appears like Im logged in already...

nyc area here....not good

grrrrr

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 12:36 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

forum is making sounds of gurgling dying duck...similar to Bertie Wooster when meeting a critical aunt ....

(pg wodehouse)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 3:01 PM   in reply to able123

Today I'm noticing that the forum will display snakes, and it will display planes, but it will not show snakes and planes simultaneously.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 6:25 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

poor gerbil....

im afraid to spend any time trying to post anything lengthy as it doesnt work half the time...get "unauthorized" mssg ( kicked out )...etc..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 7:24 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

oh dear......

time to get some technicians to the power control room !

I did a little touchup on the photo....for sensitivity reasons...

Dead_gerbil.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 4:40 AM   in reply to able123

Oh no, are we now in for gerbils on the plane

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 8:24 AM   in reply to Jerry.K

>are we now in for gerbils on the plane

Well, any snakes that are not large enough to attack a passenger have to have SOMETHING to eat

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2011 10:34 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, it sounds as though you will be in the perfect position to be a "scorer"....and the new rules / regulations were just released !!!!!

------------

United Nations Committee Of International Travel
    International frozen snake bazooka scoring standards

A minimum of 1 "scorer" and maximum of 2 "scorers" with cards numbered 1 through 10 will keep score...
    recorded by an assigned "secretary of scores" ( with 2 static cameras fixed in position to see all players and scorers ).  Any disagreements and or questionable incidents will be decided by the secretary.

no barrages allowed...only one snake may be fired with a minimum of 3 seconds between snakes.

passengers may not change seating unless approved by secretary BEFORE beginning play.
    ( scoring properly requires this)....passengers will be disqualified if they do change seats, and a penalty of one full "barrage" will be allowed against that disqualified player as a punitive measure.

1- any snake making it to steerage
    2- any snake striking a steerage passenger but just falls to the ground
    3- any snake attaching itself to the leg of a steerage passenger
    4- any snake attaching itself to the torso of a steerage passenger
    5- any snake attaching itself to the arm of a steerage passenger
    6- any snake attaching itself to the head of a steerage passenger
    7- any snake simply hitting a steerage passenger in eye and falling to floor
    8- any snake attaching itself to the ear of a steerage passenger
    9- any snake attaching itself to the nose of a steerage passenger
    10- any snake attaching itself to the neck of a steerage passenger

minus points....

minus 5 points given if a non-combatant ( stewardess etc ) is hit and snake falls to floor
    minus 10 points if non-combatant finds snake attached to any part of body or struck in eye

on the returns....

1- any snake flung back to fc
    2- any snake rocketing via tennis racket back to fc
    3- any snake back to fc that strikes a passenger
    4- any snake return that attaches to foot of fc passenger
    5- any snake return that attaches to leg of fc passenger
    6- any snake return that attaches to torso of fc passenger
    7- any snake return that attaches to arm of fc passenger
    8- any snake return that pokes fc passenger in eye
    9- any snake return that attaches to any part of head of fc passenger
    10- any snake return that attaches to neck of fc passenger

second returns ( from fc to steerage ) revert to top (above) scoring specifications

extra points may be given ( max of 2 ) for snake attachments that induce spontaneous verbal outbursts in a foreign language nobody else on plane can identify.

extra points may be given ( max of 2 ) for bank shots or ricochet shots of particular cunning and skill.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)