• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major font rendering issue (latest OSX build / Quadcore MacBook Pro)

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this weird issue on my new MacBook Pro (i7 quadcore - 2ghz), the font rendering sometimes goes bezerk (see screenshots).

Schermafbeelding 2011-03-21 om 11.00.04.png Schermafbeelding 2011-03-21 om 10.35.55.png

Possibly the latest OSX build and hardware combination has compromised something…

It's a freshly installed setup, running Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J3210) & Kernel version: Darwin 10.7.1. Flash 11.0.2.489.

The Font is OK, it works with all my other apps and it has never given problems before.

The issue isn't exclusively related to the font used in this example, it affects other fonts too.

Sometimes, on a freshly booted system and first run of Flash, it is OK in Flash.

But the error can return rapidly.

Especially, after restarting Flash a couple of times (no choice, due to the copy/paste layer bug).

Tried turning off the 'Automatic graphics switching', with no result.

Tried uninstalling my fonts, rebuilding the font library as minimalistic as it gets, with no result.

Switching preview-modes within Flash, didn't work.

Interestingly, switching anti-alias mode on a textfield to 'Bitmap text', resolves the problem… turning the Anti-alias back on, brings the problem back.

In this example, I use 3 copies of a textfield containing the text "Ford Antenna".

From left to right, anti-alias: readability - anti-alias: animation - anti-alias: bitmap text

Schermafbeelding 2011-03-21 om 12.27.39.png

It goes without saying that this is affecting my workflow tremendously, everything I produce with Flash gets corrupted. I understand that when Apple secretly releases new OSX builds, things can go wrong. That said, apart from running Flash 5 beta in the good old day's, I've never experienced this much problems with Flash before… so I cannot stress enough, that I'm expecting the upcoming CS5.5 update too be free.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the problem just with this one font? What is the font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Tx for your reply. I've shown Ford Antenna (Ford's official font) in the example, something I was working on yesterday. But it's not the only font that Flash at some point starts to render strangely. I've also experienced this with "Myriad Pro" & "Frutiger LT Std". I'm trying to figure out how to reproduce this, it still feels random. Although, when a font goes bezerk, it does that every time until I reboot the system. Restarting Flash doesn't help, some characters may render differently, as you can see in the screenshots (one time it's worse than the other).

At that point, the font still renders correctly in Illustrator, Photoshop, … I tried typing text in Illustrator, copy-pasting into Flash, where it goes wrong in Flash.

I think something goes wrong with the anti-aliasing, possibly related to video graphics/driver.

Yesterday, Apple released an OSX update, but that didn't fix the issue.

Now running Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J3250), Kernel: Darwin 10.7.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using pretty much the same hardware and software as you describe and I've never seen this problem. Is this a new computer? Do you have access to another computer that you can use to test on? I'm thinking that this may be a hardware problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not too many new MacBook Pro's laying around here doing nothing.

But true, I guess I can only try to reproduce it on similar hardware.

Either that, or sit and wait till someone else comes by.

It's like the "copy-paste keyframe" feature, working fine, 9 out of 10 tries.

Until you're actually working on something, finding yourself restarting Flash seven times per hour.

It's like the "update asset" bug.

Update a bitmap asset, save. Reopen the .fla, and the old asset returns.

Bugs like that, which are common, still aren't fixed today. You'd think these would get a higher priority, but I think they are skipping all that, focussing on a completely reengineered Flash CS6… in the meantime, hating my job though!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem with Myriad Pro and Kozuka Gothic Pro. The problem arises when rendering fonts with antialiasing, if we use 'Use devicefonts' rendering without antialiasing goes well (and it's a problem). Please I would be gratefull if someone could send me and email or answer this post to fix the problem. My email is pol@2bemag.com. I attach screen shot of a bad rendering and the same text box but with 'Use device fonts'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yippie, at least it's no isolated issue!

Mononelo, what are you running, Mac/Win, recently bought a new computer or not?

I would like to know if this issue is related to new hardware/software.

I found this document, almost similar issue: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83162.html

But it's rather specific on opening CS4 files in CS5, what isn't the case here.

No real solution or explanation tough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iMac 21" 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 with 4GB RAM. New from september of 2010, almost new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue since the upgrade to 10.6.7.

* Flash CS3

* Frutiger font family

* Managing fonts with FontExplorerPro X Pro

* OSX 10.6.7

* iMac, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

Have tried all the usual - clearing font caches, reboot, applying combo update for 10.6.7. Nothing!

Screen shot 2011-03-23 at 08.14.07.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shap3shed, that's interesting, because it affects Flash CS3, really thought Flash CS3 would be out of the equation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx guys, I can rule out the Macbook Pro quadcore.

I'm guessing we're all using an AMD/ATI Radeon graphics processor, perhaps we should look in that direction...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with Flash CS4 on a Mac Book Pro (NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT)

The glitches seem completely random, multiple export produces multiples results destroying a different font each time.

Pretty hard to work in theses conditions.

Does anyone tried with CS5 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried with CS5 and it seems to happen the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the exact same issues on my 3 yr old Mac Pro quad-core following the 10.6.7 update. Certain fonts in Flash CS5 being very funky. Here is what has worked so far for me in a few Flash projects I am currently working on.

First I quit Flash. I then disable those fonts in Font Book "computer" list, and enable them in the "user" list. I launch Flash and then my files look like they should. I've had to do this a few times for different fonts, and will probably have to do more. But for now this seems to work for me.

I'd call Apple, but they'd blame Adobe and vice versa....too bad we get stuck in the middle without any help. This is a real pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are in the right direction.

Tried to deactivate the fonts in the "Computer" list, but I didn't copied them in the User list. Worked for me.

So the real problem is that it shouldn't, the font is now deactivated everywhere, there is certainly a mess somewhere and a duplicate font problem.

Also, I noticed that the font who cause problem are all in "Computer" list, never in "User" list (at least for me).

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction spudnut !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update...

Just open the Font Book app, then open flash and your fla.

Leave the Font Book app open, the font will now display OK.

Quit the Font Book app, close and re-open your fla, the font will go crazy again...

Weird.. but at least it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could be some help. In my case, the affected fonts seem to be in both "computer" and "User" lists. Deactivating the "Computer" list font and leaving it activated in or installing it to the "User" list is what makes it work again for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got off the phone with AppleCare. Figured it would be a good idea to at least report this issue. I would encourage everyone else with this problem to do the same. If we make enough noise there is a chance someone will hear us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling the font actually worked on first attempt.

The issue returned, but once I had enabled/disabled the font again, it was fixed.

So Spudnut, u rule, you really helped me out here, thx a million!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very happy to hear that this "fix" is being helpful to others in the same boat. I have sent a file to Adobe as requested. Let's see what happens next

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Spudnut's fix helped a lot but the problem still arise randomly, at least for me.

Deactivating the font and then reactivating it seems to solve the problem for a few export and without any particular reason the problem arise again.

It seems completely related to font management, cause the swf is broken even on PC computer.

For more infos :

http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?p=616255#post616255

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13274664

I will roll back to 10.6.6 and let you know if it fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi spudnut,

We want to look at this as quickly as possible. Can you send me a fla file that you have that exhibits this problem for you?

The email address to send it to is: FlashAuthBetaBugs@adobe.com

Please note that our filter system doesn't accept .zip files so if you zip your fla before attaching it to the email, please change the file extension from ".zip" to ".zzz".

Also, there's a preference in the Font Book app called "Automatic font activation". Can you try unchecking that option in the Font Book preferences dialog to see whether or not having it unchecked resolves the problem for you and let me know?

Thanks so much.

Marisa

Adobe Flash Authoring Team QA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having issues today. Opening files that were *fixed* yesterday is resulting in same problems today. Have to keep quitting Flash and opening fontbook to disable/enable fonts. Even leaving fontbook open does not help. Grrrrrrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

With the help of spudnut and the bug file that he provided, we are looking into this.

I was able to reproduce it immediately upon opening his file in Flash CS5.0 on OS 10.6.7 under the conditions described below. (Note that his bug file used the Adobe Caslon Pro font but your file may use different fonts, so where Adobe Caslon Pro is mentioned, just substitute that font for whatever font(s) you're using in your fla file(s):

I reproduced the issue as follows:

1. Launch the Font Book app.

2. Bring up the Font Book Preferences dialog. Make sure that “Automatic font activation” is checked, “Ask me before activating” is not checked, “Validate fonts before installing” is not checked, “Alert me if system fonts change” is checked, and the “Default Install Location” specified is “User”.

3. Quit Font Book.

4. Make sure that all styles (eg: "ACaslonPro-Italic.otf", "ACaslonPro-Regular.otf", etc) of the Adobe Caslon Pro font exist in the following 2 locations on your system. If they don’t, then copy them from the one where they do exist to the other:

- HD/Users/Your user folder/Library/Fonts

- HD/Library/Fonts

5. Restart the Operating System. (do not skip this step)

6. Launch Flash CS5 and open the fla file: The issue reproduces.

What I did to “fix” the problem:

1. Launch the Font Book app.

2. Under the “Collection” column, select “All Fonts”.

3. Under the “Font” column, select any font then do “Edit > Select All” to select all of the fonts so that they’re all highlighted.

4. Right click on the selected fonts under the “Font” column > Select “Resolve Duplicates”. (Perform steps 2-4 a second time for good measure).

5. Quit Font Book.

6. Restart the Operating System. (be sure not to skip this step).

7. Launch Flash CS5 and open the fla file: Issue no longer reproduces.

If you're experiencing this issue, please try the 2nd set of steps ("What I did to "fix" the problem) and see if that resolves it for you. Some of you have reported initial success using spudnut's work around only to find the issue reproducing again after a while. I'm not certain, but rebooting the OS (step 6) may be critical to insure that the issue doesn't reoccur again, so be sure not to skip that one, and let us know your results.

Thanks so much for your help with this.

Marisa

Adobe Flash Authoring, QA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say this did not work for me. Now I can't get any Flash file to look correctly. May have to reload OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines