Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Mar 24, 2011 2:55 PM

I've been trying for a few days to convert a CS1 GoLive site to a CS5 Dreamweaver site... and nothing has worked.

I have studied about 5 online discussions for various procedures.  I downloaded the GL2DW extension and loaded that into the CS5 Dreamweaver site.  No luck.  I tried changing the names of the various GoLive folders to web-content, web-data and web-settings.  But when I go to convert I'm still asked to list the folder with my .site file... which is clearly there.  Yet it is ignored for some reason.

I next tried downloading an extension which I loaded into a folder in GoLive.  But on launch it informed me that this conversion extenstion only supports CS2 and above.

Then I tried doing as was suggested on this list in another question:

From GoLive go to Site > Convert Site to New Structure.

Then from Dreamweaver go to Site > Import GoLive Site.

But that didn't work because there is no ' Convert Site to New Structure' option in CS1 GoLive.

So... short of looking around on ebay for a copy of GoLive 9 what might anyone suggest?

It's like I fall through all the cracks here... and don't fit in anywhere.

My site is fairly simple... but I wouldn't want to hack it all out from scratch in Dreamweaver... if at all possible.

Thanks for any help.

www.johnnez.com

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2011 4:53 PM   in reply to John Nez

Did you read this http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/dreamweaver/golive_migration/conte nt/using_gmk_extension.html ?

One of the things needed to get the conversion kit to work is that the sitestructure is as noted in that article as I see you did. You are in CS1 though and the migration kit wasn't done for CS1 as you noticed but only for CS2 and GL9. It works up and inluding DreamWeaver CS5 though even if the article above only mentions CS4.

What you can do is set up the site in DreamWeaver and point to GLs sitefolder. You still need to convert GoLive pecific content to DW content to make pages fully compatible with DW. How much you need to do depends on the content of your pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 9:51 AM   in reply to John Nez

Did you set up the sitedefinitions in DW and then point to your sitefolder - not the sitefile from GL, that won't be recognized - but the sitecontent folder from GL which contains your index.html page?

If you renamed your GL folders according to what the migration kit would have wanted the folder in question is the one called web-content.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 3:59 PM   in reply to John Nez

The folder that contains the GoLive .site file is not the right folder. Your content is in another folder inside that folder.

What you should do in DW is this (copied from another forum):

Sites > Manage Sites >  New Site.
    Define a local site folder and point it to your current GoLive sites folder, which is NOT the folder that contains the .site file. Look further inside that folder to find the ocntent of your site and point to that folder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 4:41 PM   in reply to John Nez

You said, "The only problem is now I cannot establish a successful connection with my godaddy server."

I had the same problem and spent a ton of time with godaddy support.  They finally just suggested I use a different FTP program and told me to get FileZilla.

It works but I really want to just use the built in FTP.  BTW, GoLive, Fetch would not work either.

I'm trying to find information on migrating my GoLive CS2 files to Dreamweaver CS5 and keep hitting dead ends.  Did you find a solution to this, or has anyone reading this thread found a solution?  Any help is appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 4:43 PM   in reply to MacFlashGal

FYI, The site in question was not the only site I work on hosted at goddady.  I have other clients with sites there as well and I can ftp to them just fine using Dreamweaver, GoLive or Fetch.  The tech at godaddy said that maybe this site was using newer settings on a newer server.

Hope that helps if this is still any kind of an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 6:00 AM   in reply to John Nez

found that, may be it's helpful:

GoLive CS2 site

GoLive Site Folder

GoLive.site file
    web-content folder
    web-data folder
    web-settings

Note also: If you created your site with GoLive CS (7) or older and then upgraded to GoLive CS2 (8) or GoLive 9, you may experience problems with the GoLive Migration Kit extension for Dreamweaver CS4. If this is the case, try renaming the following:

• Rootfolder-fd > web-content
    • Rootfolder-fd.settings > web-settings
    • Rootfolder-fd.data > web-data

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 4:42 PM   in reply to John Nez

You might have to eventually move to DreamWeaver whether you like it or not.

Am I correct that if I upgrade to Mac OS X Lion, that GoLive will no longer work?  I've been holding on to it because it is still easier to use and more accurate than DreamWeaver.  I keep trying to use DreamWeaver but end up disappointed and go back to GoLive.  What am I missing?  The WYSWYG editor in DreamWeaver never renders my pages even close to how they look and I've resorted to only editing in source.  Any tips would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 9:02 AM   in reply to John Nez

GoLive will definetly NOT work with Lion !!!

GoLive (CS2) is a PPC-Programm and since Lion there is no Rosetta anymore!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 8:43 AM   in reply to John Nez

Do you know if GoLive requires Rosetta to work?  If so, we will have to abandon GoLive if we want to stay current with the Mac OS.  Back when GoLive Cyber Studio and Dreamweaver were both beta software I tested both of them and picked GoLive's.  I really hate the fact that Adobe bought it just so they could shelf it.  As far as I can see they didn't even integrate the great features of GoLive into Dreamweaver.  You just reminded me that I need to call Cannon about my scanner.

Charlene Reese

thewebmaster@reesestudio.net

Professional Graphic Design & Marketing Strategies

for Print Media & Internet Website Development, including:

E-Commerce | CMS | E-mail Campaigns | SEO | Coordination with Social Media | Analysis of Site Statistics

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2011 9:01 AM   in reply to MacFlashGal

Every PPC-Program need Rosetta to work on Intel-Machines.

Only Universal Binary runs on both PPC ond Intel-Macs without Rosetta.

Intel-Progs run only on Intel Machines.

Lion has no more Rosetta.

Snow-Leopard only after installation from DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2011 6:19 AM   in reply to Manne-san xxx

Manne-san xxx wrote:

...Intel-Progs run only on Intel Machines.

Lion has no more Rosetta...

Why don't we run an Intel version of GoLive CS2 on Intel machines? There is an Intel version available. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2011 1:03 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

@Marian There is no Intel version of GLCS2.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2011 2:00 PM   in reply to Nini Tjäder

I beg to differ. Here is the Intel version of GLCS2...

GLonWine.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2011 2:33 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Is the Win version of GoLive 64bit by any chance?

If I only own the Mac version how would I even get the Win version?

I've never heard of Wine.

Does Wine run in Lion?

This thread has been educational.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2011 2:51 PM   in reply to MacFlashGal

All versions of GoLive are 32bit. But that is not a restriction for a 64bit system. 32bit apps can run on 64bit systems.

WineBottler is one way to get Wine on Mac.

MacFlashGal wrote:

...If I only own the Mac version how would I even get the Win version?...

There's the pickle. Adobe does not sell it anymore. You can grab the 30day trial from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/golive/win/cs2/ but without a GoLive for Windows serial number, you're out of luck past 30 days.

I'm actually surprised at the number of Mac users out there  as a web designer would want to test their work in the browser that most people use. That means running Windows. I just happen to have several licenses for both Mac and Windows and can float to whatever platform I want.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2011 12:09 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Which means this is NOT a solution for a Mac only user.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2011 2:14 PM   in reply to Nini Tjäder

Right.  And I would not want to suggest that someone looks for a used Windows version, even one found through nefarious means. Abandonware is an odd legal issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 1:58 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Should I take from this thread that it's NOT possible to migrate a site from GoLive CS (ver 7.0.2) to DW CS5? Because I've been trying and trying to figure out WHY the conversion feature isn't recognizing the folder containing my GL .site file - keep getting a "Please select a folder that contains your Adobe GoLive site files." Have tried the parent and daughter folders but NOTHING is working.

So does this mean that I have to RECREATE my entire website from scratch using DW? That doesn't even make sense!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 2:11 PM   in reply to tis_herself

No. Start over and read all that has been said on this subject. The basic requirement for the migration tool to work is that the GoLive site is organized in a way that the tool understands. There are also several articles about the diffrences between GoLives various features and the features in DreamWeaver. Keep looking in this forum for the links. They are in here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 2:25 PM   in reply to Nini Tjäder

Well, I DID read the entire thread (tho' I didn't investigate each link) and my GL site is organized the way GL automatically organizes it, with the .site file in the root folder along with the 3 folders: "site" "site.data" and "site.settings"

The .site file itself is greyed out, however, when I try to use the migration tool. Not finding any direct references to why that would occur.

I should say that I'm on a Mac running SnowLeopard.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 2:47 PM   in reply to tis_herself

The migration tool doesn't use the GoLive sitefile. What you migrate is the sitefolder itself in accordance with the organization requires. Which is:

GoLive.site file
    web-content folder
    web-data folder
    web-settings

Youmight need to rename your folders. See post above from September 27th.

Links:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/dreamweaver/golive_migration/conte nt/using_gmk_extension.html

http://www.biz-comm.com/gl2dw/

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/dreamweaver/articles/drwcs3ip_gol2dr w.html (downlaod the pdf which it links to there).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 5:14 PM   in reply to Nini Tjäder

Thank you for all of that information. I renamed the folders and tried again without success. Will look at the links you graciously provided and try to figure it it out in the morning when my brain is functioning again. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 7:07 AM   in reply to John Nez

John, I wholely sympathize with your situation as I, too, have used and loved GL for years and am disappointed that I'm now being force-fed DW if I wish to evolve my web design capabilities. I find it to be visually cluttered, not intuitive at all and not nearly as user-friendly as GoLive. Unfortunately, we are a dying breed. I just wish that Adobe would provide an easier, more straightforward way of transitioning from GL to DW ... even for us latecomers.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 11:10 PM   in reply to John Nez

ha ha ha

I agree with you.

I'm so upset that Adobe bought GoLive and then killed it.  I still prefer it over Dreamweaver.

I'm looking into creating a Parallels virtual machine of Snow Leopard so that I can still use GoLive when I upgrade to Lion.

Has anyone had experience with doing that?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 11:13 PM   in reply to tis_herself

Hey maybe if we send out a plea to the original developers of GoLive CyberStudio to please just develop it again and then don't sell it to Adobe.

A pipe dream, I know.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 12:58 AM   in reply to MacFlashGal

That idea has come up before. Thing is many of those developers now work for Adobe so that is really a lost cause.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points