Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Change The Background Color And Hold The Shadows

Mar 26, 2011 1:49 PM

A photographer and I (art direction and styling) shot this image yesterday on a white background. It was shot with a Hassie, and the image is quite large (and the detail and shadows are great).

I want to change the background color (white) to something else. And I want to hold the shadows created by the candies. Katrin Eismann's book Photoshop Masking and Compositing is a little older.

Does anyone have some thoughts using PShop CS5 as the app, to achieve what I see as a very tedious task?

ASweetHeart.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 27, 2011 12:05 AM   in reply to murreywalker

There is no magic bullet for this problem. You are going to have to make a very complex selection. Hope you're good with the pen tool, and have a couple of hours to burn.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2011 1:31 AM   in reply to murreywalker

As none of the RGB-channels seems to provide a good separation of foreground and background one might try if the a- and/or b-Channels of an L*a*b-copy of the image might provide a starting point for a Layer Mask.

And then go over that with a fairly hard edged Brush … which again would take time.

ASweetHeartMask.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2011 11:00 PM   in reply to murreywalker

I do not recommend working in L*a*b, though, it’s just that with some photograph the a- and b-channels offer a fairly good basis for selecting color regions so I usually transfer them back from a converted copy of the image.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points