Hi there, I'm new here!
I'm working on my site in DW and have already completed another site without having this problem. I open a *paticular* file, and my CPU usage goes to 100% when I use the split view. In code, DW runs fine, but as soon as it tries to render a preview (not in live mode) in the second pane, it starts going quickly between (notresponding) and very slow response. So it's slow or nothing!
This page is using some z-index in the CSS and flash, so I don't know if maybe it's just my processor speed isn't up to it?
I have tried it on my downstairs desktop (quad core, can't remember exact specs but could look it up, but it's faster than my ltop, obviously..), and it works slightly better. Does DW use scratch disks? Is there a way to turn off some CSS properties in the display to improve performance? I can work just in code for a lot of my work, but for placement it is much more intuitive to use a split view for me. HELP! (Please and thank you!)
There a new update for CS5, just released, you may want to try that and see if things improve. A number of bugs were fixed in addition to updated HTML5 stuff. Next, you may want to comment out pieces of your code to see what exactly is causing the problem. Knowing exactly what code is the culprit will really help diagnose the fix.
Lawrence Carmer - *Adobe Community Professional*
Complete Shopping Cart Application for
Dreamweaver, available in PHP and ColdFusion
Stay updated - http://blog.cartweaver.com
I am having a similar problem with some files when working in split view. I have been experiencing slow performance and Dreamweaver goes into "Not Responding" state for 30-60 sec when I click somewhere (doesn't matter if I click in design or code portion) and also when I go to Undo something. This has happened in other files, too. Eventually it starts responding again but it is moving slowly. My task manager shows CPU and memory usage spiking up and down as well (specifically memory of Dreamweaver process).
Sometimes it does it when Dreamweaver is open and I am doing something in another smaller window in front of it too (such as writing an email)…
I had the task manager open and Dreamweaver (and nothing else) the other day, and Dreamweaver kept flashing back and forth to "Not Responding"… so I closed it and it made task manager freeze up so that it wouldn’t close and the task manager memory and CPU usage were spiking.
Specs on my machine:
HP xw6600 workstation
Windows Vista SP2 (32-bit)
Intel Xeon Processor (Quad-core, 2.33 GHz)
4 gigs of RAM
I am Running Dreamweaver CS5 with all updates installed
I have already tried the following:
The only thought I have is that I when I installed CS5, i didnt uninstall CS4 first, thinking that I could just upgrade...
When I went into add/remove programs Creative Suite CS4 still showed up in there, but the programs were not on my computer anymore. I removed it anyway, but there were still some random folders left on my computer from it that I found when trying to solve this issue, such as preferences files from CS4 and personal config folders for Dreamweaver CS4, Photoshop CS4, Fireworks CS4 and Contribute CS4, which I deleted, but it has not solved the problem.
I can't think of anything else to try short of wiping my hard drive and doing a clean install of OS and Creative Suite, which I really dont want to go through.
Just so you'll know, I'm sure that having CS4 on your machine is not the problem. Each release of DW installs as a standalone application.
Unfortunately, I can't help you with your speed issue, as I have no idea what affects things like this....
I think I've found the solution ... or, rather, found someone who had the solution:
Preferences > General
Uncheck "Enable Related Files"
Check to see if the fix in this document resolves this issue:
If it does, this would likely be preferred over disabling Related Files.
Well this sounds like it just might work. Thank you Carey! I was opposed to disabling Related Files since I need this feature to see how my page will function. I have not used DW much since I just tried this, but I am pretty sure that this is the issue since the documents I was having problems with had related files on remote servers.
Just confirmed that I have turned this feature off (unchecked 'Enable related files'), and my CS5 still maxes out one core just sitting there with about 6 files open on my Core 2 Duo with 6GB. Restarted since. Same problem.
PS: Sorry for the dup post.