Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Deactivate file formats in Save As menu

Nov 12, 2010 1:56 AM

Hello,

where can I find the adobe program files e.g. for the Targa format (*.tga, ...)?

I want to deactivate/hide these formats from the Save As menu.

Thanks

Carlos

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,986 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Nov 12, 2010 5:44 AM   in reply to cmeira

You may be able to turn off Targa in some version of Photoshop like in CS2  its support seems to be in a plugin" C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\File Formats\Targa.8BI".  However in newer releases like CS5 the plug-in is gone so  Targa support must have been moved into Photoshop itself.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2010 12:59 PM   in reply to JJMack

Just go through and remove all the plugins that you copied from previous versions of Photoshop, and never try to copy the plugins between versions again (because they WILL cause problems).

The Targa support in CS5 is in the Standard Multiplugin.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,986 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 28, 2011 11:47 AM   in reply to cmeira

Then you have to use an older version of photoshop like CS2 where it support is in a plug-in which you can remove from the file extention folder.  That is not an option in newer version of Photoshop where that file type support has been moved into Photoshop proper.  Adobe does not offer an option to turn off this photoshop support of that file type.

Chris's appen was bogus he did not read the thread correctly some how he got the idea that you were copying plug-ins frome an old release to a newer release of Photoshop. When actually you want to do is remove a file type support from Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2011 11:27 PM   in reply to JJMack

I remember at least one other thread where someone also wanted to remove file-foremats they never expected to use from the save as-dialog.

So the OP might consider posting a Feature Request or looking to see if one has been made before and lend their support.

Photoshop Feature Requests

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,483 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 29, 2011 9:18 AM   in reply to cmeira

cmeira wrote:

Once again, it is not possible to deactivate specific file formats as it was possible in former versions?

That is correct.  As Chris Cox has pointed out, all the formats live in one plug-in now.

Are you looking for a simpler list, higher performance, or are you trying to protect your users from something?  Just curious, because having an extra option in a list that you don't normally choose isn't really a big deal for most folks...

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 9:55 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Actually, I think I just responded to the wrong thread.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,483 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 29, 2011 12:05 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

You're allowed one mistake every 3 years, Chris. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points