Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to clear cache during development?

Mar 29, 2011 7:29 AM

I don't want Flash to store the video and image files it pulls in when I test publish the swf. Somewhere it's keeping those files in cache, making it impossible to test a realistic download situation ( such as loading indicators, buffering bars, etc ) because the 'loading' file is immediately available in its entirety due to being stored in cache.

Anyone know how to control the caching behavior?

I am using:

Adobe Flash CS5

Windows XP PRo

Replies
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 29, 2011 7:42 AM   in reply to Voltage Boy

where are you testing?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 29, 2011 7:58 AM   in reply to Voltage Boy

use the download simulator in the test environment.  that's the best you can do if testing in flash.

there are many situations where that's not adequate and you should test in a more realistic environment.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 29, 2011 9:09 AM   in reply to Voltage Boy

i don't think there is a cache for the test environment.  i've certainly never had anything cached when testing there and i use the test environment routinely.

p.s.  please mark helpful/correct responses.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 29, 2011 10:31 AM   in reply to Voltage Boy

what makes you think something is cached?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 29, 2011 11:44 AM   in reply to Voltage Boy

i wasn't aware of that.

i just checked an old thread with a response from abeall that looks promising.

using an as2 fla, add the following:

var s = new Sound();
    s.loadSound('blah');

in the error message will be a path/directory where your flash ide cache is stored.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2011 3:19 PM   in reply to Voltage Boy

When you pull content in from the Web, what type of files and how is it done? Are you testing in a browser?

If you see a "loading" bar for a video, I'd say it's being cached in a Web browser cache...

When you work "with a clear cache", how did you clear the cache?

Have you checked your Web browser cache before and after testing to see if the file is in the browser cache?

In FF you can check by typing "about:cache" in the address bar. In IE, it's a little harder in the new version but in XP you could view directly into the cache.

All that being said, I pupose you could add a time/date component to the file name so that your file always need new data, something like used in news-tickers, etc.

xmlData.load("news_ticker.xml?blarg="+new Date().getTime());

which requires a new time and date appended to this particular xml file, hence always requireing a new version of the file to be loaded.

Perhpas you could adapt that approach.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 8:46 AM   in reply to Voltage Boy

The standalone player and the one that runs when you test your movie from within Flash both use the cache of Internet Explorer (under Windows, don't know for mac).

So to clear the cache during developement, just start IE and clear its cache.

One thing worth to note: Standalone player can use files already stored in cache but won't save files itself. Test player from Flash will read from and save to cache.

(Sorry to dig this old thread out, but since I have the answer, it's for the sake of reference...)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to prossel

I am here to confirm Pierre Rossel's answer, the Fladh IDE's cache IS indeed stored in IE, to clear the cache during development, simply start IE and clear its cache. Thanks Pierre!

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to hank@designbeast

That - is so pathetic on so many levels.

I can not tell you how many hours of wated time I have just dealt with - seriously Adobe - you are meant to be targeting major gaming companies, streaming media for global video, broadcast, MASSIVE corporations,

and you are cacheing files in Internet Explorer for the test environment in 2012 - you seriously need to be ashamed of yourself for something so incredibly pathetic - truly sad.

What is WORSE - I used to be able to append a random string on my fiels to overcome this, and so never noticed it before, this functionality is now broken in the test environment for some spastic reason - jesus christ.

I don't know what to say sometimes I really dont -

HOURS and HOURS of time wasted on such stupid trivial garbage -

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 4:04 AM   in reply to Voltage Boy

Just so we are all clear on how incredibly pathetic this really is - let me make this clear - I load fonts, css, xml, all finds of data on load in my applications for testing - in order for me to see if anything is working - I have to open Intenent explorer, open the settings panel, open the cache, clear it, return to flash and test -

Adobe you need a serious, serious reality check - thats some ******** right there.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to zx3cv1zx30vzx23c01v3zxc21

What's pathetic isn't neccessarily "where" they're being stored, but how.

There "where" is actually a browser-independent system cache, since the path is "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\", and you don't have to open Internet Explorer to clear that cache.  On Windows 7, just type "Temporary" in the start menu, and you'll get various links that all all go directly to the system's "Internet Properties" dialog, where you can clear the cache.  Any web browser could use that cache, but 3rd party browsers tend to use their own custom path.  Technically, Flash caches the files inside a "Content.IE5" subdirectory in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder, which I believe is some kind of legacy folder indicating the player is using some old or built-in system APIs for the loading and caching.  See my post here: http://stackoverflow.com/a/12483776/88409

Now... the HOW is what's pathetic.  However it is caching files, it's wrong.  It's not properly checking for updated files on the server, and it's a mystery what API is doing to loading and what, if any, settings there are on how often to check for an updated file.  As far as I can see, it doesn't check at all, even after a dozen times.  Furthermore, I load files with a random query string appended to the filename like "?random=9384934&timestamp=89849539", so every single request should be treated as a new file and therefore should not be loaded from the cache at all.  Ultimately, it is pathetic, because the caching is undocumented, unpredictable, and incorrect.

This is why people don't pay for software.  There are so many hours wasted troubleshooting undocumented and broken features, that by the time we're done providing our own support and wasting so much time, Adobe should owe us money.   For every week I spend coding, I have to spend 3 months troubleshooting $hit like this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points