Skip navigation
Spanky O\'toole
Currently Being Moderated

Mac Open With will not change default after CS5 Load

May 3, 2010 5:54 AM

I needed to keep CS4 as my "working" copy of InDesign since all others in our office use it.  When I loaded CS5, it defaults to opening all of my files on my Mac.  I want to open the files in CS4 when I double click them.  I know I need to change this in the Info pane, but it keeps reverting to CS5 as the default (yes, I unlocked it also).  Is CS5 doing something to lock the file type?  It's just a pain to right click and open with on every file I open.

Any help appreciated... FYI, very experienced user (not novice) but stumped on this one.  Actually tried downloaded software also, no go.

Not sure I like this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2010 5:58 AM   in reply to Spanky O\'toole

It's because Adobe made the decision to keep the file types unchanged -- even though the files are not compatible along the different versions (although I have no idea how other applications handle this).

Try Soxy: http://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/2010/03/15/soxy-1-1-3-released-for-m ac-os-x-and-windows/

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 6:36 AM   in reply to Spanky O\'toole

You just got the best solution there is. Soxy is a terrific little app.

Give it a whirl.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 6:55 AM   in reply to Spanky O\'toole

The full version of Soxy sounds awesome (I only have CS4 installed, so I simply don't need it ).

An older version, just for InDesign, was free -- and perhaps it will work with CS5 as well! Try http://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/2008/11/13/recipe-making-mac-os-x-la unch-the-correct-version-of-indesign/

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 7:48 AM   in reply to Spanky O\'toole

You could probably get by with RC Default apps too if you just want to make one version of indesign be the default. Soxy looks like it can do a lot more.

http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

It's pretty darn good and also great for keeping preview's fingers off your files. Never used Soxy, but there is a similar product in JoJo by the guy who makes up for QuarkXPress' pathetic inability to export a competent pdf of multiple eps files without hitting "save as eps…" 400 hundred times in a catalog. If you have just a handful of people JoJo may be a better solution, or at least one to consider. It is only available as a 4 seat minimum order for 29 euros.

http://www.jolauterbach.com/products/jojo.htm

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 9:01 AM   in reply to Spanky O\'toole

FWIW I can run both CS3 and CS4 on my machine, OS 10.57. It will always open files (by double clicking them) in CS3 ONLY if I have started CS3 FIRST, and then started CS4. If I open CS4 first then that is the "default" InDesign that is used. So this isn't an official workaround, it just works for me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 7:14 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Soxy is not CS5-enabled yet - we're expecting to have an updated version on our web site later this week...

Cheers,

Kris

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 6:30 AM   in reply to RorohikoKris-13MMcy

A stable beta of the Soxy that supports CS5 has gone up on our web site - check it out at

http://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/downloads/lightning-brain-soxy/

Download links are way at the bottom of the page - for CS5 support you want the 1.2.0b2 version.

Cheers,

Kris

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 4:34 PM   in reply to Spanky O\'toole

i have the same problem and getting file info and changing the program verison doesn't help, but...

if you open your adobe programs (CS4) first, then any file you open after that will open in that version.

not ideal but the best option without using another program.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 12:46 AM   in reply to Spanky O\'toole

I'm suffering from the same problem and it's very fustrating. I use CS3 because my entire work uses that workspace for reasons I wont go into, but I use everything else in CS5.

If I accidently open the file in CS5 and save it, all hell breaks loose because no one can open the file in CS3 again.

Changing the 'open with' was a very basic way of fixing that. I'd love to know if anyone has a work around that doesnt mean installing more programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to RorohikoKris-13MMcy

I downloaded Soxy thinking it would fix my problem, but it doesn't even load Indesign 3 as an option. It can see Photoshop 3 and everything else, but Indesign 3 is not an option when trying to change indesign files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points