• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CS5 will not open

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded Adobe CS5 Design Premium and installed. Every application opens without problem except Dreamweaver which will not open at all. I tried installing again and that didn't work. I even tried removing all of my preference files, old Application Support files and even Library Application Support files. Uninstalled CS4 and CS5 and installed a fresh copy of CS5.

Dreamweaver CS5 will not open. It gets to just before the splash screen and stops. It's not hanging either, I can click the dock and quit the app without a force quit. It appears that the open sequence is missing something.

Mac OS X 10.6.3

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 10, 2012 Feb 10, 2012

Everyone is saying the update works but you never know, some may have problems finding it. I had this problem until minutes ago until I too did the update for CS5, go here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html#dwcs51104

If you are on Lion and are using CS5 (not 5.5) don't waste your time with permissions and preferences, this does it!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 251 Replies 251

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. My computer did shut down in the middle of download. So maybe just maybe the whole file did not download and I was able to install it?

Other then that I cannot get it to start. did you fix this issue? does anyone have any ideas.

I click to open Dreamweaver, and the only option at the top of the screen is "Dreamweaver" where there should be "File, Edit, Tools, etc."

Clicking dreamweaver does not offer any help either, and a start screen does not pop up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new admin account and logged in and launched DW. It launched just fine. So there was likely a permission issue on my account. But fixing permissions in my home folder is difficult since I use FileVault. I'm disabling FileVault now and I have a feeling that is going to fix this issue but I'm pretty irked with Adobe right now. Does anyone at Adobe actually use a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that did it. Dreamweaver CS5 doesn't work with FileVault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver not working with FileVault is unacceptable and surprising since all the other CS5 applications do work with FileVault. I expect that Adobe will fix this issue ASAP.

TIA Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a mac and having this problem. Not really sure what "file vault" is. Is there anything I can do on a mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File Vault is a Mac only application.  All these problems appear to be with Macs and I am running Windows XP so I am not too sure the reason, but I do know many people with Macs have run DW CS5 with no problem.

Read this about File Vault:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileVault

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FileVault only runs on a Mac. It is turned on and off through settings in your accounts folder in system settings and is helpful for protecting your data.

Apple's description of FileVault is as follows: "FileVault secures your home folder by encrypting its contents. It automatically encrypts and decrypts your files while you're using them."

To see if yours is turned on, go to: System Preferences/Security/FileVault

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

friday04 wrote:

Does anyone at Adobe actually use a Mac?

Yes, I would say that most of them do. Scott Fegette, one of the Dreamweaver product managers, and Dreamweaver Evangelist Greg Rewis certainly do.

I have just installed the Master Collection on my MacBookPro, and Dreamweaver launched without problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is with Dreamweaver (and only Dreamweaver) and FileVault.

Because *you* aren't using FV and have DW open just fine doesn't mean that it's not an oversight on the part of the Adobe Dreamweaver team. This is very typical of Adobe. And I don't apologize for them just because they are the only game in town. I have to use Photoshop and Illustrator. Due to the cost, it makes more sense to get the suites. I keep hoping that they'll make software that works the way the promise but CS, CS2, CS3, CS4 and now CS5 are all pretty crappy.

Photoshop and Illustrator work. I guess Adobe knows what got them here. Too bad this other software is so awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. All my other CS5 applications open without a problem. Launching Dreamweaver defaults to the only thing showing is the standard Apple logo and the Dreamweaver menu name. After speaking with tech support for about an hour: we tried reinstalling, restarting, restarting in safe mode, etc. The only thing that had any success was to create a new user account (with Administrative privileges). In that account Dreamweaver CS5 launched as it should.

At that point the tech support rep asked if he could mark my case as solved.:-) I said that while he was able to get Dreamweaver to launch correctly on my computer, that using another user account to do so was not a very satisfying solution. He handed me off to his supervisor who told me it was a permissions issue if it would run on another user account.

I checked the permissions as best as I could through Command+I on the application and it was set the same as my other CS5 applications which are working. Hopefully, someone at Adobe or one of you geniuses will be able to figure this out soon.

PS I just read another posting that was made while I was writing mine I am using FileVault too, but the permissions look the same to my uneducated eye. And, I would hate to have to turn FileVault off, reinstall Dreamweaver, then turn it back on to get Dreamweaver to work properly. This shouldn't be necessary if Adobe can get the other applications to work correctly. However, if that is the solution, I will do it, so I can get back to productive work.:-(

TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Im having exactly the same issue, Dreamweaver starts and only displays the apple icon and 'Dreamweaver' menu from which I can either hide it or quit.

I don't think this issue is just limited to FileVault as I don't use it and still have the issue, what's more Dreamweaver CS5 was working fine for some time but this is the first time I have tried to use it this month so I'm guessing that it could be related to some OSx updates, though why nothing else has been affected only Dreamweaver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exactly the same problem. Does Adobe know that Dreamweaver cs5 does not work with file vault. Its a lot of work to turn it off, surely they will have a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file vault is disabled, but it still won't start for me, are we all sure thats the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@acgregg

Open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions on your hard drive. Hopefully that will fix your particular issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I can confirm that I have Dreamweaver CS5 opening fine here.  10.6.3, Filevault off.  Mine is a MBP 2.8ghz C2D (Mid-2009) pre-installed with Snow Leopard.  Did you guys upgrade from Leopard or did your machines have SL on it?

Also if you have problems call them or fill out the bug report form ( https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform ) and let them know.  Unfortunately, Adobe does not really post or follow the forums much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a previous user pointed out, Adobe's tech support suggests creating a new user account and switching to that account to use Dreamweaver. This is obviously a completely ridiculous solution.

FileVault is for a mobile user's protection. It's like having SafeBoot on Windows. All of the other CS5 apps run just fine with FileVault so this is clearly an oversight by the Dreamweaver team. I'm sure that there will be a fix for it someday but don't count on them pushing out a fix just for the minority of Mac users who have it turned on (on a platform that is also a minority). They'll fix it when they get around to it.

Right now you can:

A) Create a new admin account and switch to that new account just to use Dreamweaver

B) Turn off FileVault and lose that protection

C) Switch to Coda and a developer that cares about the Mac platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem on mac OS 10.6.3

I don't use FileVault.

I repaired permissions.

Problem still exists.

Running via another user is not an acceptable answer.

When will DW stop running on JS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nohl Lyons wrote:

When will DW stop running on JS?

Probably never. It's the JavaScript API in Dreamweaver that makes it extensible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just remembered that I installed and then stopped using a free compression utility called Squeeze by Latenitesoft. It does compression in the background using a method that the Mac's drivers can decompress on the fly.

Maybe this is a culprit. Maybe it compressed Library files???

Hmm

Not sure how to test this.

update. Just checked and the Library folder is excluded from compression.

I hope there's a patch for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could be, because I can't find Dreamweaver CS5 Settings under Library/preferences, actually, I can't find it at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem (OS X 10.6.3).

Disabling File Vault solved the problem.  This is not an ideal solution and I hope it gets fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevegal wrote:

Disabling File Vault solved the problem.  This is not an ideal solution and I hope it gets fixed soon!

If you find it a problem, submit a bug report/feature request to Adobe through the form at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

Just complaining about it here will get nothing done. This is a user-to-user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have filled out the bug form on this issue, and encourage all others who have had this problem to do so.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

As far as Adobe not monitoring the "user-to-user forum" for issues, problems, improvement ideas, etc., (while it may be true) that would be a big mistake and oversight on their part. If I were the product manager for the software, or assistant product manager, etc. I would make it my job to keep an eye on the "Adobe user forums" for how the product was being received, what problems were being discussed, and what complaints were being aired...but, maybe that's just me.:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disc Dogger wrote:

As far as Adobe not monitoring the "user-to-user forum" for issues, problems, improvement ideas, etc., (while it may be true) that would be a big mistake and oversight on their part.

I can't answer on behalf of the Adobe management about their policy of monitoring what's said in the forums, but I did bring this issue to the attention of the engineering team. I got an answer in less than an hour, saying that this is a known restriction. Dreamweaver does not work with File Vault turned on.

I have asked for this restriction to be documented by Adobe. However, the Mac documentation has this warning about using File Vault:

Because your home folder is encrypted, some tasks that normally access your home folder may be prevented. For example: backup utilities may see your home folder as one that's always changing, and this could slow down your backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines