• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installed updated Flash Player but still doesn't work

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows Vista 32 bit.  I was promtped to update my adobe flash player so I did.  I installed the updated version of adobe flash player for internet explorer but it still won't work for me.  I tried the Troubleshoot Flash Player information on the adobe site but still can't get it to work.  Please Help!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, You didn't mention what verison of IE you are using, but go to Tools, Manage addons and look for Shockwave Flash Object.

Is it Installed, enabled and what version?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Internet Explorer 8.  Shockwave ActiveX Control, version 11.5.9, Enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. If you didn't see the Object I described then that is the problem. This one that you have is for Shockwave Player, not Flash Player.

Have you had a Virus/Malware on your computer? If so which program removed it?

Let me know what Anti-Virus/Spyware program you use.

Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back all files listed there.

For some reason, the Shockwave Flash Object wasn't Installed, so we need to find out why.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know I did not have any virus/malware on my computer.

I use Norton Anti-Virus.

I went to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash   but I don't know what you mean by post back all files listed.

Thank you for your help,

eak20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi "Post" means put that info on the message here on your thread. List it, type it, etc.

I need to know what files are listed there.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh okay. I'm not up on all the computer lingo.

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Name: Flash10n.ocx                        Type: ActiveX Control

Name: FlashInstall.log                      Type: Text Document

Name: FlashUtil10n_ActiveX.dll       Type: Application Extension

Name: FlashUtil10n_ActiveX.exe     Type: Application

Name: install.log                              Type:Text Document

The above Names and Types for the names is what is in the Windows link above.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,

eak20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks, that's exactly what I needed to see

Now those Flash files are all correct. However, the Shockwave Flash Object is the Control that is needed so Flash Player can work. Since it's missing, Flash Player can't work.

So, when Installing, did you receive any error messages? When Uninstalling did you disable Norton?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I did not receive any error messages when installing or uninstalling the flash player.

No I did not disable Norton when installing or uninstalling flash player.

Thanks,

eak20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just now saw that you had replied. I'll give you instructions tomorrow. Thanks for the latest info, that helps.

I think Norton was the problem, but we can work around that and I'll tell you how.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2011 Mar 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Thanks. I just got your last message.

Thank you for all your help again.

eak20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2011 Mar 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same exact problem.  Same version, same files, but my AV is AVG.  Will you send the workaround too?  It is driving me crazy!!!  Thanks!

Patti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I finally got it fixed.  I went to the system restore options for Windows and it allowed me to select the Flash Player to restore from the original system installation files.  I did that and now it is working just fine.  Just crazy!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm still here waiting on what to do next to fix this issue.

eak20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, eak20, Sorry for the delay. I had Internet issues and the Forum had Technical issues most of the day, so I'm behind.

Thanks for providing the additional info:-)

Now here are instructions for you. First you will need to know how to Disable Norton this way. Don't do it now, just look it over so you can do it when you see it listed in the Steps. I'll just say Disable Norton and you'll know what to do. You can Disable those addons before you start. The first two things you'll do when you see that in the Steps.

Right Click and Open Norton. Turn off Smart Firewall and Auto Protect

Under Miscellaneous Settings, Disable Norton Product Tamper Protection

1- Open IE 8. Goto Tools -> Manage Add-ons.

2- Disable the following:

-Norton Toolbar

-Symantec NCO BHO

-Symantec Intrusion Prevention (IPS)

Download and SAVE to your Desktop the Uninstaller:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html 
Download and SAVE to your Desktop the Installer for IE- use the EXE Installer
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Close all browser windows, you only want to be looking at your Desktop.
Disable any messenger services, as yahoo, msn, etc in the system tray(area near the clock)

Disable Norton per above

Be sure to use the Administrator Account.

Run the Uninstaller and when finished, Reboot(restart) your computer.
Check to make sure the Norton is still Disabled
Run the Installer for IE,  and when finished, Reboot.

Then go to this test site and test each browser:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

You may want to print these instructions to make it easier to follow. If you have any questions, let me know.

Re-enable Norton

Just take your time in following these Steps. You want the Uninstaller and the Installer on your Desktop.

Also don't use the links from your email, use them here where I have posted them.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2011 Mar 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your instructions and the Adobe Flash Player still doen't work.

I checked to make sure that I was the Administrator and I am.  This is my personal computer and no other accounts are on it.  Just me. I just finally got to work on it today.

Well now I'll just wait to see what else you have to say.  Let me know if you need to know anything else.

eak20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Did you have a chance to use that test site, the one where you should be able to see the Flash Player logo? And also check to see if the Shockwave Flash Object ActiveX Control is Installed and Enabled?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I checked and that Shockwave Flash Object is still not installed.  I did not get any error messages. Here is what is in the

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Name: FlashInstall.log                      Type: Text Document

Name: flashplayer.xpt                       Type: XPT File

Name: FlashUtil10n_Plugin.exe        Type: Application

Name: install.log                                Type: Text Document

Name: NPSWF32.dll                         Type: Application Extension

Yes, I did check the test site. I saw and F.  There is a little box on that site that still doesn't show what is in it.

I don't get any prompts relating to the Shockwave Flash Object.  I also checked the site to see if there was a way for me to download the Shockwave Flash Object but I could not find one.

eak20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, In Post#6, the Flash files were all correct and only the Shockwave Flash Object wasn't Installed. Now the Flash files are not correct and they have a couple of non-IE Flash files.

Did you Install Firefox perhaps and try to Install Flash Player into that browser? Or some other browser, Safari?

Anyway, we have another issue now:-)

We'll get that corrected. Right now I want you to check and see if perhaps a Kill-bit has been set. This wouldn't explain what is above, but may explain why you had a problem prior to this latest Uninstall/Install.

Go to this thread and follow these instructions: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/782435?tstart=0

open the registry editor: Start | Run | type regedit.exe
navigate to this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
if that key does not exist, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player is not set
if it contains a DWORD entry with the name Compatibility Flags that has any value other than 0x00000000, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player may be set

Read this carefully.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the registry.  I went to start, run, and typed in regedit.exe.  I got the following:

Brings up Name: ab(Default) (ab on a piece of paper like an icon), Type:REG_SZ, Data: (value not set).

It only brings up that one file.

On the bottom of the registry window it has what I guess you would call a link named: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunonceEx.

There were no Compatibility Flags.

eak20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking. However I want to be sure that you went to the correct Registry Key. Take a look at this message and you should see a screenshot of what you should have found. Look for Post#17. Try this for the message Post: http://forums.adobe.com/post!reply.jspa?message=3557093 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/816576?tstart=0

Let me know. Remember I just want you to Look.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I really feel like an idiot now. I didn't realize that I had to go further in the registry editor to find what I am suppose to find.

The answer to your question yes it does look like the screenprint on that link you provided.  The only difference is that the Compatibility Flags Data reads as follows: 0x00000400 (1024).

Now what shall I do?

I just want to say thank you again for being so patient with me. This is actually the first time that I have been in the registry editor.

eak20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for rechecking. Don't feel bad, no reason to. Many users haven't been either and doing something you haven't done before can be uncertain, no problem:-)

The main thing is that you did it!! Now that you've determined that the Kill-bit is set, then I'll give you the thread for the solution.

You won't have to go back into the Registry:-) But I need to ask one question. Do you know how to extract file from a zipfile?

Let me know and I'll post that info for you.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't know how to extract a file from a zipfile.  Could you please send me instructions?

eak20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok. When you go to that Post#4 at the bottom the last entry is this:

Alternatively you can download a zipped version (Remove_kill-bit.zip) from my website: http://www2.gol.com/users/pbw/filelib/Remove_kill-bit.zip

Now you can click on that link that I've just inserted into this message page. Do this: Right click on it and the Open in New Window. When the window pops up, click on SAVE and choose your Desktop to SAVE it to. Now you should see a folder on your Desktop with a "zipper" on it. This is the zipfile. Inside that zipfile is the file you need. Right click on the zipfile and you should see "extract" or "extract all". Click on that and again choose the location as your Desktop. It should already show where it's going to be saved. Just click next.

I use XP, so Vista may be a little different. Let me know what you see if it's different than what I just said.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines