Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can we get a more recent beta?

Apr 3, 2011 4:12 PM

Hi Adobe,

First thanks for providing the November 9 beta release (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_audition). I'm having a problem with the "adaptive noise filter" . Can you please  provide a more recent release?

Equipment:

OSX 10.5.8

Macbook pro, 4GB ram

Apogee Duet

Harlan Hogan vo:1-a mic

Here is the problem:

* Please listen to AuditionNoise-NoProcessing.mp3 This is the original background noise with  no processing. I turned up the gain to get a large waveform. By the way, when I export (File > export > multritrack mixdown > entire session), why does audition add 7 seconds of silence at the end?

* The file AuditionNoise-AdaptiveNoiseReduction.mp3 has the  "Adaptive Noise reduction"  (Light noise reduction preset)  added. *If you listen closely, around the 2 second mark you start hearing what sounds like tires screeching*.  I heard  the sound during real-time playback, but I thought it was because the effect was "CPU intensive" (as indicated by attached warning). But even after the export, I still hear the sound.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Picture 107.pngPicture 106.png

--

Donald Horton

Voice Actor | Demo on voices.comSan Mateo, California

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2011 1:07 PM   in reply to donaldhorton.voices.com

donaldhorton.voices.com wrote:

Here is the problem:

* Please listen to AuditionNoise-NoProcessing.mp3 This is the original background noise with  no processing. I turned up the gain to get a large waveform. By the way, when I export (File > export > multritrack mixdown > entire session), why does audition add 7 seconds of silence at the end?

In case you have a reverb effects or something in the session.   This way we won't cut off the reverb tail.

* The file AuditionNoise-AdaptiveNoiseReduction.mp3 has the  "Adaptive Noise reduction"  (Light noise reduction preset)  added. *If you listen closely, around the 2 second mark you start hearing what sounds like tires screeching*.  I heard  the sound during real-time playback, but I thought it was because the effect was "CPU intensive" (as indicated by attached warning). But even after the export, I still hear the sound.

Looking at the type of noise in the file, it doesn't seem to be changing over time (at least not on the example you supplied).   You'd be better to double-click on the clip to go into the Editor View and take a noise print, and then use the regular noise reduction effect (not available in the Multitrack).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2011 10:17 PM   in reply to donaldhorton.voices.com

1. Can we please  get a more recent beta that fixes any bugs since the November 9th release. I don't see the disadvantage for adobe since users will have to buy the software when it launches anyway. And the advantage is that users will no longer report bugs that have already been fixed.

We'll make an announcement on this forum and elsewhere if anything else comes out.

2. Is the November 9th beta crashing frequently because I'm running OSX 10.5.8. That is, will upgrading to 10.6.6 fix my crashes or make it worse?

Hard to say without looking specifically at your crash reports.   Are you including your email address in the crash reporter application?   If so, I could probably do a specific search for them to see which crashes you're referring.   Generally, we've found stability improvements when going to OSX 10.6.x so I don't think it should make it worse.

3. I don't add reverb to my audio. So how do I prevent the 7 seconds of silience added at the end during an export.

Unfortunately, there's no way to do this in the Mac public beta right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2011 1:59 PM   in reply to donaldhorton.voices.com

You can email files or crash reports directly to audbugs@adobe.com, or submit them in the Adobe Crash Reporter.  Adobe has also just announced that there will be an announcement on Monday, April 11th that will give complete information about Audition's upcoming release.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2011 5:09 AM   in reply to donaldhorton.voices.com
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

3. Will there be a way to remove the trailing silence when audition is released? What is the best tool/app on the mac  to remove the silence now?
    thx

You have it already, Audition for the Mac. Just reopen the file in Waveform view and chop off the silence. Then resave.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2011 9:18 AM   in reply to ryclark

I believe the "Delete Silence" tool was also available in the Public Beta.  Look in the "Diagnostics" window and select "Delete Silence" from the "Effect" dropdown.  you'll want to open the Settings area and adjust the duration to a length appropriate for the length of silence you're seeing.

If it's a consistent duration of silence, you could record a favorite to accomplish this.  Basically: Start recording your favorite, reverse the file, select the first x seconds, delete, reverse, stop recording the favorite.  You can then apply this favorite in the Batch Processing window to any group of files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2011 10:01 AM   in reply to donaldhorton.voices.com

If all the clips on a track were from the same recording/source (so that the background noise is consistent between all the clips) then you could capture a noise print from a region with no other audio content, then apply the Noise Reduction (process) effects as a Batch process to all the clips.  If they come from different sources or the nature of the noise changes significantly between different source files, you might need to use this approach but using a different noise print for each cluster of files recorded together.

Adaptive might work, but as you've experienced, it tends to adapt to new background noises more than overall noise patterns.  (For example, if an air conditioner kicks on during an interview, Adaptive NR is better suited to recognizing and filtering this sort of interference.)

If the noise is most apparent during regions of silence, careful use of the Dynamics Processing effect can reduce signals below some threshhold to minimize that noise.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points