• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RE: "Unable to create font" After Effects CS 5 won't launch

Explorer ,
May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My spanking new After Effects CS5 won't launch due to "Unable to create font" error.

I'm running OS X 10.6.3 on a 17" with specs listed below.

After Effects CS3 is running fine. What's the solution?

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.42f4

Serial Number (system): W89400R18YB

Hardware UUID: E2300327-D5D3-5DC2-85CF-9FFA9CEAD9ED

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

This bug is fixed in the After Effects CC (12.1) update:

http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12dot1_details

Let us know how this works for when you've tried with the new update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with the solutions listed here:

http://aeerrors.myleniumstuff.de/?p=482

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, I'm trying a lot of things but nothing work – I keep checking and let you know If I've got a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 3 possible issues on the system. A corrupt font, a corrupt Adobe font list and/or a corrupt system font database.

Try the following:

1) On the Mac, delete all copies of the AdobeFnt.lst on the system. They will have a name like AdobeFnt10.lst, AdobeFnt11.lst, etc.. On the Mac this will be found in the /Library/Application  Support/Adobe/PDFL/9.0/Fonts folder.

2) Then restart the system holding down the S key while the system is starting up for Safe Mode. That will reset the system database.

On Windows,

1) search and delete the AdobeFnt.lst files found in C:\Program Files\Common  Files\Adobe\PDFL\...,

2) restart the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Will,

I did all that but nothing fixed the problems. Finally, I'm suspecting a corrupted drive. When I fix the drive with fsck command it gets corrupted after each system launch. I plan to clone my system on another drive, boot from the new one, check if everything is ok. I let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Let us know how this works out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Will

I posted a solution that works for me.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this soln ..and it's worked finally

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update should fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2010 Oct 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the Adobe update *DID NOT* fix this but copying over and activating the Veranda family of fonts from my MBP that had Office on it, did - kind of a sorry situation if this is what's actually needed to fix it but at least there is a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a March 2011 download of the Master Collection & update to 10.0.1 (everything that updates) reveals that the same issue still exists. Installing Verdana "fixes" it. <font family="Verdana">Idiots.</font>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to the current after effects and I am still getting this problem. I have homework to finish today. Please help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went into type book and activated verdana in computer and inactivated verdana in user. It worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Finally I found the solution, I don't know if it's gonna work for you, but you should give it a try. After hours of troubleshooting, I found that a missing Verdana Fonts (version 1.0 from Microsoft) is causing the problem. Just put Verdana in YourHardDrive/Library/Fonts and AfterEffects CS5 should start normally. It would be cool to have a better dialog box like "Unable to create font - please locate and Install Verdana".

For your convenience, you can download Verdana here : [removed by moderator, since Verdana is not a freely distributable font]

Enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects Warning Unable To Create Font

@Maherso

Thanks that works perfect.

Verdana, Typeface and data © 1996 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved Version 2.45 - Thursday, 8 April 2004 08:00

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your link to the font is gone. (sigh).

could you reupload, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karolus,

The link is now working, enjoy...

[removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked the first time! Thanks for the link too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This totally worked for me!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Just want to add that this worked for me. But it didn't at first. I moved Verdana to the right place but it did not work. The problem was that you need all the files. I had them all but not "Verdana Italic.ttf" for som reason. I had to get that from a disc and then it worked. So make sure you get them all to /Library/Fonts/.

Verdana Bold Italic.ttf
Verdana Bold.ttf
Verdana Italic.ttf
Verdana.ttf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now for something completely different:

I was having this problem and I went to the Fonts folder and saw that Verdana was there!  Just for giggles, I went ahead and dragged the font out of the folder and, yes, After Effects worked just fine for me afterwards!

I'm running a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac on 10.6.8, but this problem also reared its ugly head when I was running 10.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can buy Verdana font from Microsoft site for 30$ (aamof from Ascender Corporation). It's not legal to download it from above links (unless this guy have license for sharing this font, and I doubt about that). It is laughing because after you spend 999$ for a software, you have to pay 30$ more for the fonts. Did Adobe have no money for licensing this font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooops, I was sure Verdana was free. Sorry folks, you'll have to buy that font or find it in another way (try installing Office 2008 trial...). We live in a strange world full of contradictions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problem. Also after updating AE. But this worked for me:

Activate the verdana font in your system Fontbook (dutch: Lettertypecatalogus).

(Suitcase Fusion 3 turned it off)

Grtz,

Code d'Azur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Verdana trick worked for me too. AE’s type engine fails if there isn’t a font at /Library/Fonts/Verdana.ttf —common, simple programming problem. Mahalo for posting all this, guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines