Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Encore freezes up during transcode in CS5

Apr 7, 2011 10:37 AM

Hi,

I have a 2 hour project shot in HD (1080-60i). It transcodes to a Blu-ray DVD just fine.

However, when I try to produce a SD DVD using the same project, my computer freezes up: the transcoding seems to continue on the background but the mouse, keyboard and other programs freez up. The system shows that this happens when the utilized RAM reaches 11GB out of 12GB available. My set up is i7-930, 12GB RAM, 5 dedicated HDD with plenty of space.The only thing I can do is a cold restart as the keyboard is dead and Ctr+Alt+Del do not function.

Any ideas why this is happening and potential solutions?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2011 12:10 PM   in reply to Igor Valentovitch

>potential solutions?

Use PPro to down-rez your project to SD and give those SD assets to Encore

Also, some "odd" problems with Encore (including the ability to create a dual layer DVD) are solved by right clicking the Encore icon and selecting Run as Administrator

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 8:23 AM   in reply to Igor Valentovitch

Zero information on that

But... since Encore is an authoring program, not an editing program, it just seems logical to ME to do the editing in PPro

And... it seems to ME that down-rezzing from HD to SD is an editing task that is more suited to PPro

When I go from AVCHD to DV AVI to then author a DVD with Encore... I do the down-rez in PPro

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2011 7:36 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Use PPro to down-rez your project to SD and give those SD assets to Encore

Jeff has said:

In CS5, it's as simple as exporting to MPEG2 DVD. Do make sure to check the "Use Maximum Render Quality" option in the Export Settings dialog.

Meaning to me that you don't have to downrez as such; the mpeg2 DVD setting takes care of that.

He also shows how to do this with dynamioc link, with pretty pictures, here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/145/869423

Jeff, I'd like to link this here, but when I search, that's the link I keep pulling up.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2011 8:22 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

That's because AFAIK it only exists at the Cow.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 5:43 PM   in reply to Igor Valentovitch

Since Jeff hasn't dropped by yet, let's see how my responses match his.

1. I'm going to cite one of the guys from your CreativeCow post: 'instead of just "send to encore" inside premiere and transcode in Encore ...it's better to encode to MPEG2 DVD in PrPro and then just start a new Encore project and import into Encore and burn...correct?' - is this the preffered workflow, or

I think Jeff answered this there.  As long as you use maximum render quality, it won't matter whether you dynamic link (send to encore dynamic links the sequence into Encore and further processing occurs there) or export the mpeg2 DVD from Premiere (using  AME).  Note that in CS5, you can set a general preference in Encore to use AME for the transcode in Encore as long as you use the transcode now option (rather than transcoding as part of a final build).

2. I can use my HD project authored in Encore, select the proper settings to transcode it to SD in Encore (like 'Use maximum render quality') and come up with a SD versoin of my HD footage without sending the footage for down-rez to PrPro?

The problem with this scenario is it appears to have Encore using an HD file.  So you end up asking Encore to transcode an HD file (and in the process downrez it).

While that could work, I read Jeff as saying that it is better to export an mpeg2 DVD from Premiere or to dynamic link.

Combining that, I wonder if he would agree that the best option then, for doing both formats, is to dynamic link, set up either bluray or SD, and transcode - then do the other.

I am not considering preferences regarding how to do the menu options.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to Igor Valentovitch

In CS5, there is a preference to limit the amount of memory that any of the suite apps use.  You should accept the default.  If the default isn't working, then you should increase the amount of memory available to the system.

In theory, you should be able to set your project to DVD from Blu-ray, at which time you can transcode the source asset to SD using the AME if you like.  Again, Maximum Render Quality is essential to get the best results.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 5:36 PM   in reply to Igor Valentovitch

I updated my blueray drive with firmware from the manufacturer.  This solved the problem for me.  Encore has conflicts with the drives within the computer and how windows installs them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Thanks John, i was having problem to do hd to sd encoding, and i found your post about run as administrator in ppro and Bam gets all fixed! i encode hd to sd in 43 minutes with maximun render Thanks again....very helpfull...

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Igor Valentovitch

To get the max out of HD to SD in CS5 its better to export from Premiere and import the files into Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 4:29 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Thanks Ann bens, i'll try that and see what happens, by the way, i have w7 ult ps1, i7    asus z68 envidia quadro 2000. 3 tb

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Thanks Ann for your suggestions, i have another problem, when i  import star encoding from premiere hd to sd, when has almost 50% done, i get a message that says  error the encoding coul'nt be done Unknown error! please help me with this or give an advice what to do....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points