• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

64-Bit Windows 7 & Postscript I Fonts

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  New machine.  64-bit Win7 with CS5 installed.  Attempting to install some older PS 1 fonts. 

Have all necessary elements of each set (both PFM/PFB).

Get 'does not appear to be a valid font' error when attempting to install via Windows7.  I am the 'administrator' of the machine.

I have also copied entire folders into ID5 fonts folder as well (Program Files (x86)/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CS5/ Fonts)

Still nothing.

Stumped.

Any assistance or insight/next steps would be appreciated.

PTG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how are you attempting to install your PS 1 fonts (we assume you mean Type 1 fonts)?

For Windows 7 and Type 1 fonts, you should right-click on the .PFM file and use the Install option.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

Yes, they are Type I fonts.

And yes, when I say 'install,'  I mean 'Right Clck on the .PFM file and use  the 'Install' option.

I then receive the error from Windows.

Still searching for a solution.  Any other ideas to try would  be great...

PTG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also - for further info - they are all Font Folio 9 files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also running WIndows 7 64-bit and cannot reproduce the problem with Type 1 fonts with Font Folio 9.

Have you installed any third party Font Manager?

Have you attempted in any way to install Adobe Type Manager (not supported beyond WIndows XP 32-bit)?

Was the system an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows?

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

I fixed it.   Here was the problem:   I was using VNC to copy-and-paste between two machines.  Everything looked fine, but it wasn't.

I zipped and emailed a set to myself and it worked flawlessly.

I really appreciate your feedback and insight into this issue.  Adobe's support in my upgrade has been great, frankly.

PTG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know you are up and going. I never dispute reported symptoms because we learn something new every day from our customers' experiences! 

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop misleading people. There are problems with Postscript fonts when they are supplied as afm/pfb

You should have known that. And you do.

People can't install these fonts as they lack PFM files that can be generated in WINXP

and no longer in Win7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither I nor Adobe are misleading anybody about Type 1 font support in Windows 7. Nowhere did we claim that you can install same without having both the PFB and PFM files. All Type 1 fonts licensed by Adobe in the last ten (or possibly more) years have included the PFB and PFM files. The issue is any Type 1 fonts licensed prior to that timeframe from Adobe or fonts acquired/licensed from other sources that either in the past or currently do not provide both the PFB and PFM files for each typeface.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,  I have an old Adobe Type Basics Fonts CD that, as you know, isn't compatible with my Windows 7 machine.  A new assignment has me wanting to go back and install some of those fonts.  I don't have access to my old Windows XP machine any longer.  Any suggestions on how to recover the key missing files (PFM?) to complete an install?

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One solution would be to access file backups that you may still have from that system. Adobe hasn't licensed the Type 1 format Type Basics package in many years and it was never updated to provide the .PFM files. (Adobe Type Manager had the capability of creating .PFM files from a combination of the .AFM and .INF files that were supplied with the .PFB files.)

If you contact me privately with a list of the fonts you need the .PFM files for, I could try to assist you off-forum.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I wonder if you can help me please. I have had CS2 for quite some time. However, I have not had it loaded on my machine since the last crash a few years ago, after which I updated to Windows XP.

Yesterday, I upgrated to Windows 7 64 bit. The Technician was able to reinstall CS2 with no problem.

I have Adobe Type Manager Delux 4.1  If I load it, will it cause any problems do you think, or will it just work like it did previously?

Can you help me at all please? I am an amateur with CS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATM (Adobe Type Manager) is not compatible with any 64-bit version of Windows, any version of Windows Vista, or any version of Windows 7.

Don't even attempt to install it. The damage may require a complete reinstallation of the operating system.

Note that CS2 (3 revisions ago) was not officially supported by Adobe on any 64-bit version of Windows nor on any version of Windows beyond Windows XP. You install it and use it on Windows 7 64-bit totally at your own risk. Considering the value of lost time, data, etc., you may wish to consider upgrading to CS5.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for that.

The CS2 is already installed on my system. I understand that CS5 is on sale until April 7. Upgrading from CS2 Premium Academic version to regular CS5 Standard versionis $499 until April 7.

Is that correct?

If so, what do I have to do to get that price on a boxed set.

Do I have to uninstall the CS2 before installing the CS5 upgade please?

Also, what do I use as a type manager please?

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but you will need to contact Adobe Customer Support to find out information about an upgrade from a CS2 academic version to a CS5 commercial version; I don't have the pricing for that.

I would personally advise you to fully uninstall CS2, clear all temp files, and reboot before attempting the CS5 install.

There are a number of third party font management products, each with their advantages and disadvantages. Note that InDesign 7 (CS5) has the concept of a "Document Fonts" subdirectory that allows you to have a private, overriding font directory - totally independent of what Windows "knows about" - for each InDesign document. This feature may be good enough to allow you to bypass licensing a font manager. Note that once you use one of these font managers, you need to keep them in synchronization with Adobe's applications. They typically need to be updated every time Adobe has a new software release.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've been great! Thank you so much. I do appreciate it.

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2011 Mar 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov. Sorry to bother you again.

I decided to buy CS5 Premium and it is on its way.

Meanwhile, as I mentioned, the technician had already reloaded my CS3 Premium into my

Windows 7 64 bit. I don't think it actually is functioning properly anyway.

However, I need to uninstall it, and I can see how to uninstall the different CS2 programmes, but my question is that I can see all the different CS2 programmes to uninstall with no problem, but I am wondering if I should also unload the Camera Raw that I see in my "documents folder" or if that should stay. Maybe it is my profile for my camera or something. It was not loaded recently. It goes back to a few years ago when I was doing photography. Does it need to be there for when I upload photos from my camera?

Also, I see the following items and I don't know if they are part of the CS2 or not, or if they are just part of what I need for my computer:

Acrobat Distiller 7.0

Acrobat 7.0 Professional

Adobe Bridge (I didn't think that was part of CS2) When I open it, it shows all kinds of my programmes in there that would have nothing to do with publishing)

Adobe Designer 7

I also have Adbobe Reader X, but I downloaded that myself, and know it should be there and is not dependent upon CS2 for anything.

However, do I remove the above four or do I need them for my Office 2007 Professional and the rest of my programmes?

Could you tell me please? I don't want to uninstall them if they did not load with CS2.

I understand that Camera Raw is included with CS5 and also The Bridge is included.

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a number of questions here. I'll try to answer them as best as possible.

(1)     Do not uninstall any data files or directories associated with data files generated by Adobe applications. They may be necessary or desirable when you load your new software.

(2)     Given the fundamental incompatibility of CS2 with Windows 7 64-bit, I would most strongly recommend uninstalling all CS2 programs from your system prior to installing any CS5. That includes all the Acrobat 7 Pro software (which is documented as highly incompatible with Windows 7 64-bit) including Distiller and Designer. Uninstalling Acrobat 7 Pro should simultaneously uninstall Distiller and Designer. Adobe Bridge was installed by CS2. Uninstalling all CS2 will uninstall Adobe Bridge.

(4)     Uninstall Adobe Reader X.

(5)     Reboot.

(6)     When you install CS5 Design Premium, it will install Acrobat 9 Pro. Do not attempt install Reader X. You don't need it if you have Acrobat 9 Pro.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent. Thanks. So uninstall everything I mentioned, including the Adobe Reader X and leave only the Camera Raw file that is in my documents file.

That's right?

Then reboot. Then install CS5?

Then install the CS5, which will look after all my Adobe and Acrobat stuff for me?

Have I got it straight?

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov. Sorry to be a nuisance. I uninstalled everything that referred to Adobe except for two items. I just want to make sure that I should remove them too before I install CS5 Premiere. One of them seems to be a security update for Adobe.

I would appreciate your confirmation that I am ok to uninstall ADOBE AIR and ADOBE SVG VIEWER 3

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 02, 2011 Apr 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can safely leave those installed. The Adobe AIR component will be updated when you install CS5.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2011 Apr 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for all your help.

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov

I had a bit of a problem with my computer supplier. I wanted to upgrade to a faster computer, mainly because I want to get into the Adobe Suite, but also because I may want to do some graphics digitizing for embroidery.

I checked around at some of the big stores and decided that I needed a 6 core, 1 Tb motherboard and 8 Gb RAM.

I don't know quite how he did it but he sold me a dual core, 3.3 mhz 1 TB motherboard and 4 Gb RAM but installed Windows 7 64 bit. He explained that this would be as much as I would need, Adobe or no Adobe, and that the 64 bit would make it faster, along with the dual core, compared with what I had before, which was a 7 year old system. It is marginally faster, but whatever programme I click on (such as Outlook or System Mechanic), they take a long time to open. Once open, everything is pretty fast, but the opening of the programmes is slow.

He tried to blame my anti-virus and internet speed, but lost the argument when I told him that I had complained about the speed when testing it in his shop and that I have not added any other anti-virus, other than the one he installed.

There is a digitizer programme for embroidery that I am interested in that requires 1.5 Mz processing and 3 Gb RAM. Adobe requires 1 GB RAM. It is possible that I may have them both open at the same time, along with Internet Explorer and Outlook, together with my anti-virus running in the background.

He is now offering to upgrade me (for a price) to a quad core Pentium with 3.3 mhz, 1 Tb. Hard drive and either 8 or 16 Gb RAM. I only bought the first system three weeks ago, and it really is not what I had originally asked for. At least I can do a trade, but I wondered if you could give me an opinion about whether or not a PENTIUM quad core with 3.3 mhz, 1 Tb hard drive and 8 Gb RAM would be enough. I shoot RAW photography, and wanted to learn to use Illustrator and combine the two to make designs. After that, I would either be printing them, or I might be digitizing them with the software for the embroidery. The software can digitize photographs without colour scaling every single pixel. It has some intelligence in it that enables it to grade the colours sufficiently for embroidery, so that it retains the look of a photograph but does not try to use every shade and colour under the sun that might appear in a photograph, thereby making a mess of the embroidery itself.

So do you think the above would be good enough. Someone at Best Buy told me that Pentiums are slow.

Would you mind offering your opinion please?

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't necessarily believe that you need a 6-core processor at all unless you have some very, very, very extreme processing requirements, but for Windows 7 64-bit, 4GB of RAM is really insufficient regardless of what some may say. Many of us who have used Windows 7 64-bit (or even Vista 64-bit) believe from our own experience that 6GB of RAM is really the minimal requirement for satisfactory performance with 8GB a more reasonable amount.

The Pentium quad core being offered to you is a very old design which would have been appropriate four years ago or more! The processor speed itself for those processors is misleading. The newer designs with more parallelism perform much better at lower speeds!

Also, in terms of hard drives, I would make sure that you are getting a 7200 rpm drive (or better). That will make a tremendous difference in performance.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't trust your supplier. He appears to be trying to unload junk on you and is either ignorant, deceitful, or both. By the way, I'd also be very careful about getting advice or buying computers from places such as the one you mentioned.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dov. What would you recommend besides Pentium? Do you think that 16 GB would be too much, by the way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines