Skip navigation

Lightroom 3 Freezes On Dust Spot Removal

Jun 8, 2010 7:51 PM

Latest reply: scooter_NH, Dec 15, 2012 3:43 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2011 11:16 AM   in reply to fe-dot

b-reiterer wrote:

So now we all can enjoy the fact that this application cannot use multithreading (which should be number 1 feature for this kind of app).

I'm sure that the folk at Adobe will be very pleased to see a possible cause/solution to this problem, which I know for fact they have tried very hard to pin down for some considerable time. Alas, many of the alleys they've been sent down have turned out not to be as profitable as we/they had hoped. Maybe this time it will be different.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 11:30 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

I don't familiar with windows dump, but somebody could provide an mini- or full dump of the lightroom application. Adobe can analyze the dump and should see the instruction/loop where the application consumes a lot of CPU. It could provide an impression where the issue is related.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 11:35 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

You are being over optimistic :-)

<sarcasm>

One may think after seeing your reply that the Lightroom developers actually read this forum.

</sarcasm>

The problem has been around for well over a year now so you would think somebody could have investigated this by now.

I tried to open a support case for it but never got any response.

Somehow I do not believe that I am the only person in this world who has figured out that it has to do with multithreading.

Maybe when they have rewritten all the multithreaded code for v4.x (and we have to pay to upgrade) it works better.

Until then my optimism is rather low.

--

@samostern: there is no excessive CPU consumption at all. It looks like more like a deadlock. Memory usage grows slowly, CPU is at minimum and application is frozen.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 11:46 AM   in reply to fe-dot

I have a i7 and windows reports 8 CPU. If the lightroom freezes than I see that 1 CPU runs on 90-100%.

My issue reacts on the CPU affility mask but the visible effects during the freeze are different from yours.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 4:30 PM   in reply to fe-dot

b-reiterer, the CPU-affinity trick worked!  Thank you so much.   I was even able to turn auto-write XMP back on.

I still would like to see a real fix for this issue from Adobe, so LR can take advantage of multi-threading, but at least the program is usable for me now.  Now if only we can ensure that someone at Adobe reads this thread so a proper fix gets into the next release.....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 6:16 PM   in reply to fe-dot

I keep reading posts that say that folks are using LR 3.4.  I'm running 3.3 with all of its attendant problems. When I go to the Adobe web site and try for an update I get the message that I've got the latest version.  Anybody know what gives or how to get to 3.4

GeorgeFoxworth

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 7:17 PM   in reply to George in Fair Oaks

Lightroom 3.4RC  is a "release candidate"

Info and download here

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3-4/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 7:52 PM   in reply to George in Fair Oaks

See the Adobe Labs site for 3.4

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 9:40 AM   in reply to Michael Lynch

Thanks, Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 9:41 AM   in reply to Iggy2010

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 2:29 PM   in reply to George in Fair Oaks

By the way, I unchecked one processor and my laptop is now running on 1 cor

e. The responsiveness has become slight better but it still is s

low. LR 3.4 has become less slower

with just one core running in case of

dust removal. this is not how it sh

ould be...............:(

my system is a pentium 2 core with 4GB RAM and W7 in 64bit

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 2:51 PM   in reply to Iggy2010

I'm sure this is not a universal answer to the problem but it helped me. I upgraded to 3.0 from 2.7 just at the time when I bought a new computer. I loaded the upgrade on the new computer without every having had 2.7 on it.  I had a number of problems in addition to the freezing of the dust removal tool; slowing down to a crawl, eventually having to even reboot the computer to get things moving again.  My local LR guru suggested that I do a complete uninstall of 3.3 and install 2.0 and let it upgrade to 2.7. When I did that and then went to the Adobe site and dowloaded the latest version of 3.3 on top of the 2.7, almost all of the problems cleared up including the spot removal tool hangup.  That's not to say that it's cured, just better.  My guru explained that the spot remover is one of the most complicated actions that LR performs, what with all of the analysis of surrounding pixels that it has to do and that it takes an enormous amount of resources while it's working.

Hope this helps somebody.  As I said, I'm sure this is only an isolated solution. 

What I don't understand is why LR has so many problems that Adobe hasn't fixed while CS-5 does so many complex actions so well.

George

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 12:49 AM   in reply to thaehn

I've just updated to the latest 3.5 version...

I'm running an AMD x6 system with 12 Gig's of RAM.

The problem is indeed within Lightroom itself.. even if i run light room on seperate core's of my processor, only one hangs on 100% when using the spot removal tool.

most annoying is that lightroom totalloy hangs instead of the spot removal function itself. (guys! run it on a seperate processor!!)

i discovered that it is pure a calculation loop that its hangs in. well i figured that that must be it.

some pictures i have no problem but other pictures not even the first attempt to heal something.....

if you have a picture with only white, it goes ithout any problems but if you use a picture with grain in it.. it really a pain in the ***...

i can only figure that the differance is that it is much more difficult to calculate en render the the heal colours for a picture with grain. (no definite colour range)

and that the module for spot removal hangs on that.

if it is pure calculation power that is the issue, GUYS make sure LR really uses all of my 6 cores!!! or rersve some for calculation and the rest for the gui.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ANYWAY!! THIS IS AN ISSUE SINCE VERSION 3.0!!!!!!! NOW I THE LATEST 3.5 VERSION! we are using it for our work!

Marc.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 3:09 AM   in reply to lightwrite.nl

I get the same problem (i7-930, 12G RAM, W7 64 bit, Lightroom 3.5), but it's intermittant.

For example, a few days ago, every time I tried to add a spot removal, it would hang for minutes (usually until I killed it).  Restarting LR made no difference; more spot removal edits on the same image would hang.  But today I've tried on several images and response is instant, however many changes I make or new spots I add. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 3:14 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

Still the same problems like before.

No changes with Lightroom 3.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 2:22 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

Simon, I wonder if the difference has to do with checking or not checking the "Enable Profile Corrections" box in the Lens Corrections Panel. I've found that checking this box  can seriously slow down performance, especially with the spot removal tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 2:38 PM   in reply to Check-raise Charley

Check-raise Charley wrote:

Simon, I wonder if the difference has to do with checking or not checking the "Enable Profile Corrections" box in the Lens Corrections Panel. I've found that checking this box  can seriously slow down performance, especially with the spot removal tool.

Not in my case, I don't think.  That option was selected in ones I've tried today which caused no slowing-down, and also in ones that did hang a few days ago. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2011 4:27 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

Well it was worth a shot...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 11:19 AM   in reply to thaehn

According to this thread, this problem has been going on for 5 years?! I'm running LR 3.5,  Win 7, 64 bit, i7, 4 gigs of ram, nVidia GeForce GT 540M video card - don't remember having this problem before, but lately the spot removal tool totally crashes the program - have to go to task manager to close/reopen/try again. end up doing edits in PS - no fun! Please Adobe - fix it or give us a workaround!

Otherwise I love love love LR!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 11:26 AM   in reply to redebecca1

It looks as if this forum had been created for the affected users to share their frustration with each other. The problem has been there and has been untreated for far too long.

Clearly the problem mostly affects people with the latest i7 / i5 CPUs and it has to do something with multithreading because my fix suggested above helped many people (not only on this forum).

Has anyone actually tried to open a support ticket for this issue with Adobe? Should we start an on-line petition? It is really ridiculous situation that such a "flagship product" has such a serious issue that makes it virtually unusable in many cases.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 5:50 PM   in reply to fe-dot

Whoa fe-dot - resetting that channel as you suggested (Launch Lightroom and then open your Task Manager, go to the lightroom process, right-click on it and "Set Affinity" to 1 core only (pick any).seems to have done the trick - hopefully it didn't hurt anything else - will post here if it does... Thanks so much!

Another REALLY maddening thing is that I need to redo it EVERY FREAKING TIME I open LR... argh!

Yes, a petition is indeed in order - I have not submitted a support ticket - anybody else??

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 11:42 AM   in reply to thaehn

It does hurt something else - multitasking performance of Lightroom as now there is only 1 CPU core is available to the application.

It is very apparent if you need to export lots of photos and do some other work at the same time (inside the Lightroom I mean).

It will not hurt any other application or the operating system.

Can I ask everybody affected to open support case with Adobe?

I will do the same in my spare time.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2011 6:40 AM   in reply to thaehn

I'm glad I found this thread.  LR was driving me mad with this.  I have an I7 980 Extreme 6 core CPU and nVidia card.  Since I use Nik from LR I often am working with TIFs, and spot removal can lock up LR for 10 minutes at a time!

I tried the affinity workaround and it seems to help.   But indeed, why would I want to slow LR down by using only one core?  Adobe, fix this!  Not everyone finds this thread, and you are frustrating users and losing face.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 1:23 PM   in reply to fe-dot

I am running Lightroom 3.5 on Windows 7, 64 bit and have an Intel i7-2500.  Interestingly this problem only happened to me when I tried spot removal on 1 specific picture (a .JPG).  I was able to easily reproduce the bug several times.   The problem was solved by Fe-dot's suggestion to "Launch Lightroom and then open your Task Manager, go to the lightroom process, right-click on it and "Set CPU affinity" to 1 core only (pick any)."  

I will set the CPU affinity back to normal for now.  At least I know what to do if I run into this again. 

Thanks again for posting this fix!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 8:55 AM   in reply to thaehn

I thought I'd add a couple of thoughts as this thread has been very helpful, thank you all.

I am running Lightroom 3.5 on Windows Pro 64bit, Intel i7-740 with 8Gb ram. Was having this problem on one particular Tiff file. Lightroom behavior was also slow generally.

Found that if I used the 'Show desktop' button at the bottom right of the screen this minimised Lightroom which then unlocked in about 5-10 seconds but had not done the edit.

Using the 'Set CPU affinity' worked for me. In my case I have set it to 4 and it appears to work fine now.

I have come across something similar when setting up fast boot and the number of cores it is to use.

In system information it shows that my processor has 4 cores, but elsewhere it shows and logs 8 cores.

I believe there are 4 real cores and 4 virtual cores, problems seem to occur when using the virtual cores..

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 4:37 PM   in reply to thaehn

I'm glad to see it's not just me. LR used to lag here and there on my old computer, but I built myself a new PC a couple of months ago, it's a good computer overall, good CPU, 8GB memory, even using an SSD for system drive and a RAID 10 for work/storage, generally LR flies like the wind, with one exception; Spot Removal. I would say about 40% of the time I have no problem here either, but about 60% of the time it lags and stutters when doing spot romval, sometimes to the point of freezing the computer for a couple of seconds.

I found it strange that we're at version 3.6 and Adobe STILL haven't managed to iron this one out.

But at least I'm not alone, so I'll try to find a little comfort in that.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 4:43 PM   in reply to Adlerson3

This is because nobody who can really fix the problem reads this forum.

From mulitple experiements of my own and from other people who contributed into this discussion, it is pretty obvious: Lightroom Spot Removal has a problem with the Core i5 / Core i7 CPUs when Hyperthreading is enabled.

Disable the Hyperthreading feature in your BIOS (sometimes also called virtual cores) and you will see the difference.

Now all is left to do is to open an official support ticket and point to this thread and to this post (and then wait for version 4.x) :-(

I am not sure if I will ever buy something from Adobe again.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 4:47 PM   in reply to Adlerson3

As you can see in this thread at photoshop.com, Adobe is aware of the problem. What you also can read in the thread is that it's not a question of available computer power, but more like a locking/race condition that's causing the problem.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 4:51 PM   in reply to fe-dot

fe-dot wrote:

This is because nobody who can really fix the problem reads this forum.

Now all is left to do is to open an official support ticket and point to this thread and to this post (and then wait for version 4.x) :-(

Was done already, see my prior post.

From mulitple experiements of my own and from other people who contributed into this discussion, it is pretty obvious: Lightroom Spot Removal has a problem with the Core i5 / Core i7 CPUs when Hyperthreading is enabled.

Disable the Hyperthreading feature in your BIOS (sometimes also called virtual cores) and you will see the difference.

The problem seems to be related to multiple cores, and can be avoided by setting processor affinity to 1 core for LR (done in TaskManager).

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 4:52 PM   in reply to fe-dot

It's sad indeed, fe-dot, since I overall absolutely LOVE LR. But when they can't fix one glaring problem like that then it does indeed make one question their dedication to customer satisfaction.

I will go open a ticket, just to draw more attention to the problem, and cross my fingers it'll be fixed. (Like you said, in 4.x, most likely...)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 4:54 PM   in reply to b_gossweiler

b_gossweiler wrote:

The problem seems to be related to multiple cores, and can be avoided by setting processor affinity to 1 core for LR (done in TaskManager).

Beat

Beat, it was me who pointed this out originally, so you do not need to correct me :-)

I have tested it more and what I wrote above is true: it is not 1 core issue. It is hyperthreading issue.

You can have more than one core assigned to LR but they must not be hyperthreaded cores.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 5:02 PM   in reply to fe-dot

And why haven't you added this (valuable) information in the official problem report ?

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 5:10 PM   in reply to b_gossweiler

Where is this "official problem report" and how can I add to it?

You sound almost as if it is my fault that LR is not working.

There is no need for this here.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 5:21 PM   in reply to fe-dot

fe-dot wrote:

Where is this "official problem report" and how can I add to it?

I guess you just added your comment in it over here, which is good (or is uncle_fed not your nick?). And just in case you'll ask "how should I find out how to report", you can find the link on this page:

capture_20111218_021454.png

You sound almost as if it is my fault that LR is not working.

There is no need for this here.

I think you have to be aware of 2 things:

• Problems won't get solved if not reported properly
    • This forum is a User-2-User forum, where Adobe employees are not required to follow any threads.

With this I conclude my participation in this thread.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 7:43 AM   in reply to fe-dot

Have a look at http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr3_spot_removal _freeze?utm_content=topic_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notif ication and add your 2c worth. I know this has not been going for as long as this thread, but it does have the attntion of 2 Adobe staff members. To get the attention it obviously deserves please add your name to he people having this problem - Press the +1 button on the orivinal post.

Thanl you

George

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 7:59 AM   in reply to GCat51

I've added my thumbs up over at that thread to indicate that I'm having this issue.  Really don't think we'll see any action from Adobe on it though. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to thaehn

Wow, almost two years after the original post and still this glaring bug still hasn't been fixed. My opinion of Adobe is a lot lower as a result. Why pay Cadillac prices for Yugo quality?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to kend99

kend99,

Which version of Lr are you using? Becausein Lr 3.6 this "glaring bug" has been fixed.

Also, in retrospect I have to say he following:

I am now using Lr 3.6 64-bit, and have 12 GB of Ram. And now the dust spot removal is blazingly fast.

So my verdict is: this was never a bug in the strict sense but the dust spot removal required lots of RAM and processor power. On systems with "only" 2 processors and 4 GB of RAM or less the system was just overburdened.

WW

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to web-weaver

I'm using LR 3.6 on a Win 7 x64 machine with an Intel i7 processor, 6 GB of RAM, and a Radeon HD 5650 video card, so it's neither an old or underpowered machine.

I can reproduce the bug 100% of the time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to web-weaver

web-weaver wrote:

kend99,

... Becausein Lr 3.6 this "glaring bug" has been fixed.

Also, in retrospect I have to say he following:

I am now using Lr 3.6 64-bit, and have 12 GB of Ram. And now the dust spot removal is blazingly fast.

So my verdict is: this was never a bug in the strict sense but the dust spot removal required lots of RAM and processor power. On systems with "only" 2 processors and 4 GB of RAM or less the system was just overburdened.

WW

This is not quite true. There is a bug in LR3 (including 3.6), which seems to be fixed in LR4. See here.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points