Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

failed to open flash document?????

Apr 14, 2011 2:40 PM

I have been working on a flash website inside flash CS5 here at school. I have been working for almost 3 hours with no problems and I have made sure to save from time to time. I have saved with no problems. My problem came when I clicked on test movie. As the movie was loading to test the SWF of the website flash crashed and closed out on me. I had just saved before testing so I could have the latest saved. I double click on my flash document to re-open flash and I get a message that says "Failed to open document." Right after the message it lists the folder where my file is located. I still cannot get past this message and my file is a website I have been working on for over 3 hours now. I needed this for school and I guess if I can't fix it I will have to start from scratch although I had so much work completed.

Any ideas? I even tried to open flash first and then go to file open but that did nothing except give me the same error message. Then I looked under recent documents and clicked on the file document and got the same thing. I have no idea what to do. Has anyone had this problem or similar before with some sort of solution to save my 3 hours of work? Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to John Rivera

Hi John

Please describe your OS and hardware you are using, as well as what were you doing right before testing your SWF (if you remember).

By the way, if your version of CS5 updated? You can check it in "About Flash" window (the number, starting with 11).

Sandy

QE

FlashAuthoring

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2011 3:05 AM   in reply to John Rivera

I have just had the same issue today!

But I can access and view the swf file. Which was good enough for my teacher.

Is there someone I can send it to to maybe be fixed?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to chantelle st.quintin

Hi,

I'm sorry that you ran into this issue .Can you please let us know what you did before saving your project?
    Please provide as much detail as possible. We are actively looking for ways to reproduce this issue.

1.    About your  computer
    a.    Full file version of Flash installed (eg. 11.5.0.325)
    b.    OS and version

2.    Are you saving your  .fla file  to a local drive? (eg. hard drive, SSD drive, USB key ) or over a Network

3 How was the file saved? eg. resaving as File/Save, File/Save As type  ( CS4,CS5,CS5.5 ) .fla or xfl

Did you see any issue / error while saving your file  last time ?

Thanks
    Sukhbir
    Flash Authoring

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 1:40 AM   in reply to Sukhi12

Hi there!

I had just finished my website  when I saved the file (fla) and shut Flash down. I needed to transfer a different file from my computer onto another computer. I mounted my usb and realized there would not be enough room, so I binned some of the files and tried to empty the trash. My computer said "preparing to empty trash" for nearly 20 mins. I forced shut down my computer and restarted. Emptied the trash fine - transfered the file fine. But when I reopened the website on flash I recieved the "can not find document...." error message. I had closed Flash down before emptying my trash, and made certain there were no Flash files in there. The SWF is fine though. And I had not found any issues with saving it or any warning signs that this was going to happen.

I was saving the FLA over its self not as a save as version

The file is 52MB

I have a 2 and half year old MacBook Pro

2.26Ghz Intel Core 2

Mac OSX version 10.5.8

Saving to computers hard drive

Adobe Flash Professional CS5 11.0.2.489

Any help would be so appreciated!

Not sure how to send you the file as its 52MB

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 12:03 PM   in reply to chantelle st.quintin

Hi ,

Thank you for the information . I have send you an email . Please check that and send me your fla file .

Thanks

Sukhbir

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2011 6:27 PM   in reply to Sukhi12

Hi Sukhi12

Thank you so much, but I still have not recieved your email

Chantelle

my email is iisiss@hotmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to chantelle st.quintin

Hello,

Please read the following blog post for a solution to the Unexpected File Format Error:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashpro/2012/07/24/unexpected-file-format-erro r-on-opening-flash-files-using-flash-cs5-5/

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points