Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition

Apr 14, 2011 12:18 PM

Good morning Audition fans.

As promised, I wanted to share the news and state of Adobe Audition as well as answer your questions about the new release and what the future holds. 

First, Adobe announced the release of CS 5.5 Monday morning to coincide with our presence at the NAB convention in Las Vegas, NV.  Among the updates to the other applications in the Production Premium suite, the big news from my perspective was the inclusion of Audition into the Production Premium and Master Collection suites.  Soundbooth, the previous audio tool offered in the Suite, has been discontinued.

Next, a little bit of history:  Adobe purchased Syntrillium 8 years ago in order to provide an audio solution to their video and broadcast production users.  At the time, Premiere Pro was a Windows-only NLE and Cool Edit, now Audition, was a great fit in the original Video Suite.  However, as Adobe recognized the value in the Suite model for users and the bottom-line, the other applications were updated to support Apple and Windows users.  The Audition team looked at the 15 years of legacy Windows code and were not confident the application could be ported quickly enough to satisfy the CS release schedule.  As an audio editor was necessary in the suite package, we created Soundbooth which was a simple audio editor built on top of Premiere Pro's media playback engine.  This enabled the team to provide value to the Suite, but the limitations of a playback engine crafted to handle large video files was not ideal for detailed audio production.  As a tool to assist with basic audio editing and restoration needs for a primarily video and motion graphics audience, it did find a userbase who appreciated the simplicity and ease of use, although leaving audio professionals and more savvy users wanting more.

Immediately after each release of Soundbooth, the team continued working on Audition but it was apparent that Adobe did not need two audio tools in production and the more popular application was absolutely Audition.  We made the commitment to build Audition as a fully cross-platform solution and replace Soundbooth in the line-up, offering the power and fidelity of Audition without making the transition for Soundbooth fans too jarring.  For at least the past 7 years that I've been with the team, the most-requested feature has unequivocably been "Bring Audition to the Mac!"  There are numerous on-line petitions and forum threads demanding this happen.

So we've spent the past two years re-writing Audition from the ground-up, preserving or updating our core DSP, modernizing the code to take advantage of current hardware and operating system technology, and emphasizing increased productivity and speed with every feature.  Updating or completely rewriting 15 years of C++ code takes time, and we recognized rather quickly that we were not going to reach feature parity with Audition 3.01 with this release.  We continuously prioritized our feature database based on our visits with customers big and small, and our awesome, secret, pre-release team.  Our core userbase has always been broadcast - radio, podcast, and video - and our focus for the CS 5.5 release was to build a platform that supported those workflows but remained open and flexible enough that expanding the application to support other audio users would be simple and straightforward.  As we approached the end of our development cycle, I think everyone on the team and in our pre-release program recognized how strong this application is and will be moving forward, even if some of our pet features did not make it into this release yet.

In the next post, I'll describe what's new in Audition CS 5.5, what didn't make it into the application yet, and what we hope to accomplish in the next release.  As I mentioned before, Adobe has publicly committed to a more open release schedule with a major release approximately every 24 months with an additional mid-cycle release.  Not only will this allow us to bring more features to you more quickly, but will help with any hardware updates and purchasing decisions our users may encounter.  Additionally, and currently Audition is not part of this program yet, Adobe is offering installations on a subscription model with all upgrades rolled into the cost.  It will be interesting to hear feedback from our users how this solution works for their needs.

Replies 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2011 3:07 PM   in reply to _durin_

Can you clarify a point about pricing?

I have the CS5 Master Collection on Mac.

It appears that my choice comes down to buying the full stand-alone Audition for $349 or upgrading the entire suite for $549.

Since Windows users already had Audition in their "kitchen sink" suite, I was hoping there might be a special pricing option that would allow Mac users to bring their CS5 suites up to parity with what Windows users already had, for only a nominal fee.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 6:55 PM   in reply to _durin_

Awesome update, Durin. Count me in as an early adopter for the new Audition.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 7:50 PM   in reply to _durin_

Just a reminder to those who need to convert sessions between different CEP or AA versions, Suite Spot has a nice free utility for it called Ses2Sesx.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/836498?tstart=0

http://www.aatranslator.com.au/ses2sesx.html

There is of course Suite Spot's awesome AATranslator utility for converting between other DAW applications too.  AATranslator  may not be as pretty as ProConvert but AATranslator is a better app in my opinion and won't take such a huge chunk out of your wallet.

http://www.aatranslator.com.au/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 8:39 PM   in reply to _durin_

Hi Durin,

Thank you for the very detailed post.  Sounds like a lot of exciting enhancements are coming our way.

Some suggestions for CS 6...

1) Although AA is a good sounding DAW, how about it becoming best of breed.  I am not too unhappy about the absence of the CD-burning functionality if it returns in CS 6 as best-of-breed.  Compare it to other DAW's.  I recently looked at the trial download of another DAW and AA seemt to fall short here, not that that DAW is necessarily the standard to beat.  Provide a burning capability that is truly suitable for mastering.  (It's not just AA that has a challenge ahead with write functionality.  The same can be said for Encore).

2) Re-establish AA as a leader in innovation.

3) Can some of the effects and tools be made more visual and or more "intelligent", rather than number oriented, than they currently are?  By intelligent, I mean that the software becomes more analytical and can optionally suggest settings, as opposed to presets".

4) I don't know the true market for something like this, but I definitely am interested in something that would make video and audio clip synchronization easier than it currently is.  (I record audio off-camera and manually sync the clips since I don't utilize time-code synchronized equipment).  For that matter, it would be great if there were time-stretching algorithms that are non-linear.  Where one could specify that begin and end-points are in sync (for audio and video, or audio and audio) and AA could mathematically analyze based on length of clips and.or other factors, how things need to be stretched to keep them in sync.

5) Provide some tools that would make it easier to use audio clips recorded by more than one recorder simultaneously and don't maintain syncronization.  That is, the clips start in sync, but due to clocking or other issues, fall out of sync before the recording is complete.

6) Incorporate sampling tools in AA for things like EQ, etc.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 9:26 PM   in reply to Steve C2

"4) I don't know the true market for something like this, but I definitely am interested in something that would make video and audio clip synchronization easier than it currently is. (I record audio off-camera and manually sync the clips since I don't utilize time-code synchronized equipment). For that matter, it would be great if there were time-stretching algorithms that are non-linear. Where one could specify that begin and end-points are in sync (for audio and video, or audio and audio) and AA could mathematically analyze based on length of clips and.or other factors, how things need to be stretched to keep them in sync."

Hi Steve C2,

A company called Singular Software has already invented and published a program that does exactly this called Plural Eyes, which is compatible with Adobe Premiere CS4 and CS5.

www.singularsoftware.com

Hope this helps,

-Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 4:33 AM   in reply to xrickrockx

"For that matter, it would be great if there were time-stretching algorithms that are non-linear. Where one could specify that begin and end-points are in sync (for audio and video, or audio and audio) and AA could mathematically analyze based on length of clips and.or other factors, how things need to be stretched to keep them in sync."

I would suggest a lockable sync marker within a clip that you can then stretch/shrink the clip from by moving the start and end points to match the video.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 10:52 AM   in reply to _durin_

_durin_ wrote:

Thanks for the feedback so far.  I'll put any suggestions into our feature database as they come in.  I figured I'd show off a few screenshots of UI improvements, new features, and the like.  Let me know if you'd like any information on specific tools and I'll be happy to elaborate.  Several members of the team are hoping to post some tutorials or video tutorials in time for release, so any suggestions for that would be most welcome.

One useful tutorial for Production Premium Suite users like me would be a crash course on how we could use Audition for the most common tasks we are now doing in Soundbooth.   

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 11:42 AM   in reply to _durin_

I had thought my Windows-using example was from CS5, but I checked with him and found out he got Audition (version 2) with

Adobe Creative Suite Production Studio Premium some years ago.

Did you find out anything more about details of Mac pricing? Are my original assumptions (either full price for stand-alone or upgrade price for the suite) correct?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 6:01 PM   in reply to xrickrockx

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the tip.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 6:03 PM   in reply to ryclark

Hi RY,

Thanks.  I didn't consider this approach and I will be sure to try it.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 10:57 PM   in reply to _durin_

Considering all the comprehensive features in CS 5.5, that it can be installed alongside of 3.01, and is a $99.00 upgrade (if I understood correctly), it seems reasonable at the very least to utilize the power and features it offers.  I presume it works well beside AA 1.5 too then?  I could see that as a possible pairing, as 1.5 is efficient and 5.5 should have what 3.01 does that 1.5 doesn't and vice-versa.  Hmmm....ok, will 5.5 accept rewire?  I'm just turning wheels here.  If it can talk to previous AA versions, or anything else, that certainly opens up more flexibilty too.

I'm sure I speak for more than myself when I say all these examples you've illustrated for us help immensely in understanding the path ahead.  Especially the idea of why 5.5 is what it is at this stage, and that it is indeed a 1st stage, is encouraging.  Under these circumstances, to get the benefits of speed, efficiency, and updated functionality, and still maintain accessability to what works well already in AA is certainly comforting and welcome.  Thank you for giving us the opportunity to exhale, I'm now intrigued!

Or, as HAL once said, "I understand now, Dr. Chandra. Thank you for telling me the truth."  :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2011 7:34 AM   in reply to _durin_

Dear Durin,

Thank you for taking your time to post here about the new release, provide screen shot and explainations of what is new and how they work.

I am what many would call a relative new comer to Audition, using for about 2 1/2 years. My original intent was for use as my 1 and only DAW in my home project studio.  However over the past 18 months I have developed a small clientele for whom I do voice overs and original music beds. (Nice to get paid for a hobby that I love.) During this time I have found my needs to have grown beyond what 3.01 and now 5.5 can do.

I had hoped that this upgrade(?), would have included some features that would have made my workflow and music creation within Audition even better/easier then it already is. I am disappointed to find out that midi implementation has been dropped completely at this time.  The removal of the ability to group clips is also very problematic. I have not heard if there is now a multitrack overlay grid that can be set to divisions of the projects BMP and turned on and off, with snapping and nudging enabled to this grid. I was hopeful that time signature markers, for mutliple time signatures within a project would be included. I had hoped that when previewing clips/files within Audition you would be able to preview at project tempo.

These are a few of the thing I had hoped to see, or are dissappointed they have been removed. I know, I will probably get jumped on by SteveG because, "it  was never meant to be music creation tool." Maybe not, but programs do evolve beyond original intent.

I intend to give the trial a whirl. But to be honest, I have already moved on to another DAW to make up for that which is lacking in 3.01 and has been left out of CS5.5.  I am lookng forward to future releases in hopes I can come back and have my needs met.

Duff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2011 8:14 AM   in reply to SJDuff

One quick question on the workflow with PPro - let's say I finish my edit, then send everything over to Audition for audio work. I create my mix, and send it back over to PPro and show my client. Clients, being what they are, now want changes in the video...can I re-edit in PPro and then send back to Audition without losing any changes already made in the mix, or do I have to re-do everything?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2011 9:04 AM   in reply to Eric Addison

Im ok with cs 5.5 as long as midi sequencer and metronome will be back in Audition 6

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 8:46 AM   in reply to _durin_

I'm very dissappointed that grouping of clips has been removed.  Grouping is such a natural part of my radio production/journalism workflow (and that of my colleagues).  If I want to adjust some timings in the middle of a piece I'm working on, in the past my clips would have already been grouped and I just have to shift it all over. Now, I have to manually click on each clip *every time.*  In a 7 minute radio piece I might have 50 clips and not having grouping makes it so easy to make mistakes.  Everything else about the Mac version of Audition (in the beta) works so beautifully, I'd hate to have to go back to running Parallels and Windows on my Mac just for Audition 3.0!

Regards,

David Polk

Producer

WFMT Chicago

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 9:40 AM   in reply to David Polk

Wow no grouping is a real disappointment for me too.  I use it daily in radio sessions.  From updating client tags and inserts and just shift the grouped masters and such along with half hour programing that segments change each week too is going to be a pain.  For every day radio work it looks like I'lll be hanging on to AA 3.01 which is our daily work horse for broadcasting anyway.    I'll still play with the new version for sure and will probably upgrade and have both programs in place BUT.... I can already see for Radio Broadcasting production and features it will be AA 3.01 as our reliable work horse.   Too bad no one thought of this as Audition is pretty much the go to daw for broadcasters for over a decade or more.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 3:53 PM   in reply to RJRadio

Clip grouping must have been one of those less important yet easy to implement things that hit near the bottom of the list.  This is what happens when your on a tight schedule with a lot to do.   But you never know, you might get a patch release that adds in some of those simpler features...  Just don't hold your breath waiting for it...

Honestly though, with all the new features, I think this release will be a very productive one given the heavy use of parallel processing...  I'll have to find a way to slow things down when I'm on an hourly job.  Something like not using groups might just be it.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2011 4:06 PM   in reply to RonNovy

Well, I suppose you can justify just about anything if you try hard enough!

You clearly missed your true vocation - as a spin doctor!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 4:19 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

True, but the harder you try to get them to pay you, the harder they try not to...

I guess Spin Doctor should have been my name here in the forum...  Might have saved people from trying to understand a lot of my confusing posts.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2011 3:49 PM   in reply to _durin_

>>>>Durin Replied:

Hi Duff,

No dynamic tempo maps with CS 5.5, but it's definitely something I want to consider when the team addresses tempo improvements<<<<

Cool Beans. I'm looking forward to it.

Duff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2011 10:47 AM   in reply to _durin_

I generally do not comment on big corporate forums, but this time I decided to participate. I hope my opinion will be taken into account.

The matter is that Audition is often used by DSP engineers who do not deal with music/radio/broadcasting/etc, but work with sound and audio analysis in scientific purposes in process of DSP algorithms development, and in audio quality validation for different industries (voice communication, speech codecs, automotive, pro-/consumer, etc).

These people silently use this tool and never appear at music communities/forums/etc., so Adobe team may not know about them. But you can see these people in every audio department of every company somehow involved in audio.

Adobe Audition (and previously Cool Edit) is the only and the ultimate tool for these professionals. Such scientific features of Audition as filtering, signal/noise generation, extended spectral analysis, sample-precise editing, etc . are not replaceable by any other software. Other software editors are not suitable for these operations since they are designed mostly for music and simply do not have such extended tools that are absolutely necessary for the purposes described above.

Lack of such tools as tone generation, noise generation, scientific filtering and others will not allow these engineers to upgrade. By the way, many of them are still using Cool Edit Pro because it is faster than Audition.

I hope Adobe team cares about all its users and will take my scribble as a note in further development of Adobe Audition which is the greatest audio software.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2011 11:45 AM   in reply to Alex Radzishevsky

Alex, as a long-time user of the software and member of related communities, I think I'll stick my nose out here to thank you for breaking your silence. and making a great point (and politely!).  Did you see the other thread concerning the release?  Durin invited feedback from the user community directly, as well as through a survey.  Perhaps you could get the word out to as many users you know as possible to let their voice be heard through this survey link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/auditionfeedback

Meanwhile, AA3, or even 1.5, are great products for many things, and there's nothing wrong with sticking with them if they get the job done!  However, it's been a long time since I've done a job in 1.5 that I thought was faster.  But I know there are definitely some slicker spots.

Good success to you, and thanks again for posting your point of view.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2011 11:59 AM   in reply to MusicConductor

I also think Alex has made a very important point. Those of us who test and maintain audio hardware also need the reliable test tools that the software traditionally provided.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 4:47 PM   in reply to _durin_

Hello,

Will the new Audition 5.5 be able to take advantage of any I/O card installed on the system (Blackmagic, AJA, Matrox, etc) that will allow the video to playout to a client monitor?

Thanks

Ray

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2011 4:15 AM   in reply to Ray Tragesser

Unfortunately no it won't. This has been on the requested feature list for some time as many of us working in sound post need external video playback.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2011 6:14 AM   in reply to ryclark

Thats a real shame that Audition will not be able to playout video through a dedicated I/O card. That effectively eliminates it for any serious client session work relating to video post-production. Unless you like them looking over your shoulder at a small video clip on the screen. This is one of the main reasons why I never used Audition for much more than a Swiss army knife for file processing. The program is very nice and offers a tremendous bang for th buck. Not sure why Adobe is really advertising round tripping to Premiere Pro if there is no support for the same I/O hardware that is likely to be already installed on the system and being used with Premiere Pro. Hence the "Pro"

Hopefully this is a high priority for version 6. If it is please contact to beta test that functionality.

Ray

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2011 9:30 AM   in reply to _durin_

Hi Durin - you describe Audition CS5.5's speed, arising out of its ability to take advantage of multi-core systems.  Nice.  But is it a 64-bit application now?  I'd like to get a Lexicon plugin (currently 32-bit) to use with Audition, but Lexicon are planning to release a 64-bit version fairly soon.  I'm wondering about compatibility, now and in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2011 1:51 PM   in reply to _durin_

Hi Durin,

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions, please.

1) There are some third-party plugins (Vongengo is one example) that are available in 64-bit.  Does one need to use the 32-bit plugins?

2) Regarding the following

* A large existing userbase on older and legacy hardware who are unable or unwilling to upgrade their systems at this time.

* The increased testing hit which would draw time away from feature development for this release

As we get closer to feature parity (and beyond!) to Audition 3, and as our users on older hardware are given time to prepare, I would expect us to release Audition as a native 64-bit application.  It will require updated agreements with many of the partners we license with as well, so it's not as simple as "flipping the 64-bit switch in the compiler."  It will allow Audition to sit a little bit better in the Production Premium suite, and if we approach virtual instrument sequencing in the future, 64-bit memory access allows for loading ENORMOUS sample libraries into RAM.

2) Wouldn't the odds of the userbase being willing to upgrade increase with a compelling feature set?

3) Since Premiere Pro is 64-bit and some third-party plugins are 64-bit, what kind of integration can AA CS 5.5 users expect with PrPro running 64-bit plugins and AA CS5.5?

4) For users that might need to keep AA 3.0.1 for certain functions when they upgrade to CS 5,5, are there any ramifications between moving back and forth between 5.5 and 3.0.1?  Has any testing been done on this and is there a recommended workflow?

Thanks,

Steve

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)