Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS3: Plug-in problem

Aug 21, 2009 7:10 AM

I am trying to open a file that was created by another company.  It's telling me that InDesign cannot open the file and that I need to upgrade my plug-ins to their latest versions, or upgrade to the latest version of Adobe InDesign. It shows in this "Cannot Open File" dialog box a list of plug-ins that are already in my list of plug-ins in the "Configure Plug-Ins" dialog box. My question is, how do I upgrade my plug-ins to their lastest version?

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2009 7:41 AM   in reply to TLuvJ23

ConditionalText.rpln and WorldReady.rpln, by any chance? If so, the document has been created in InDesign CS4, and cannot be read by CS3.

These plugins are an integrated part of InDesign and cannot be upgraded by themselves. So upgrade to CS4, or ask the other people to save the document as Interchange doc (INX). Beware that the new (and very useful!) features of CS4 will be removed by either the downsave or by CS3 itself when you open the document.

(And another point is that the paragraph composer has been updated for CS4. Merely opening an INX will not re-format the existing text, but any text edit -- any at all -- will force CS3 to reformat it.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2009 7:46 AM   in reply to TLuvJ23

Exactly which plugins are listed? It's hard to believe that you are getting a message for plugins you say are installed. Jongware has has already covered the usual scenario...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2009 8:45 AM   in reply to TLuvJ23

It's a CS4 file. The second list is the standard plugins, but the CS4 versions depend on the two missing plugins you mentioned first.

.inx, with the previously mentioned caveats is the best you can do unless you upgrade to CS4 (which is a good investment if you use this professionally -- the increased productivity and new features will pay for themselves very quickly).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2010 12:18 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have also had this problem.  2 different designer sent me their files and I got that missing plug in error.  However NEITHER of them use CS4.  One has CS2 the other has CS3 which is what I have.  Why would I be getting that when I have the same version if not higher than theirs?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2010 12:23 PM   in reply to Matrix Printing

Well, both Conditional Text and the World-Ready Composer were introduced in CS4, so if you see that particular error message, it absolutely

must be a CS4 file. (Maybe CS5, I'm not sure, but certainly not a CS2 or CS3 file.)

There are a few possibilities I can think of:

1) You're getting plugin errors for different plugins - i.e. someone is using a commercial third-party plug-in.

2) You or your other designers are being confused by the re-numbering of InDesign versions. InDesign 6 = CS4, InDesign 5 = CS3, InDesign 4 = CS2

3) Someone else is working in, and saving, the files in a later version of the software, in between you and the designer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2011 6:23 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Although this post has been closed for a while, I am compelled to chime in because I am having this same trouble.  However, I am trying to open several documents that I created in CS2 myself.  Now I cannot open them in the exact same program that I used to create them.  These files have never left to be altered/edited/opened by anyone with a later version of InDesign.  I have upgraded my Photoshop program to CS5 since creating these InDesign files.  Could that be causing the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2011 6:35 PM   in reply to ISJ HPacheco

What is the EXACT error message.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 2:16 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks.  It shows the following plugins in a box:  LILO, Conditional Text, World Ready and Cell Styles.  Then it says:  The document (filename) uses one or more plugins which are not currently available on your system.  Do you want to open anyway?

Then I click OK and get:  Cannot open (filename).  Please upgrade your plugins to their latest versions or upgrade to the latest version of Adobe InDesign.

Heather Pacheco

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 2:15 AM   in reply to ISJ HPacheco

Despite waht you might think about having never been opened in a later version, that error message indicates they were, in fact, saved in either CS4 or CS5. Conditional Text was not introduced until CS4.

You should also delete your personal information, please, when responding by email.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 5:52 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter...These files have never left my office.  I have sent pdfs of them to the printer, but never the source files and have never received anything back from the printer that would alter the source file.  I do not have a later version of InDesign on my computer, and therefore could not have opened them in a later version.  As I said, I have recently upgraded my Adobe Photoshop to CS5 and am under the assumption that some shared aspect of these two programs was updated in that install to render my documents now inaccessible to me.  Patronizing tone from "help" desk not appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 6:02 PM   in reply to ISJ HPacheco

What tone would you like?  Those files HAVE been opened in CS4 or later.  Photoshop has absolutely no effect on Indesign.  To make absolutely double sure post a screen shot of you error message.  And please don't complain about free help from other users (not Adobe) being patronizing, you're just getting told it like it is.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 6:08 PM   in reply to TLuvJ23

I don't think anyone was trying to patronize you, just point out that it is impossible that thes files were not saved from CS4 or later. Did you perhaps at one time install a trial version?

If you want to post a link to one of these files, or send it to one of us in a private message, one of us will be happy to read the file history for you, and even convert it back to CS3.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 6:10 PM   in reply to Stix Hart

No need to post a screen shot as I've already provided the message word for word.  It is NOT possible that these files were opened in a later version as they have NEVER left my computer and we do not own a later version of InDesign.  Apologies for the personal info in my first email.  Didn't realize it went to all.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 6:14 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thank you Peter.  No need.  They will be easy to recreate.  I was really just curious. (I have never installed a trial version.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 6:30 PM   in reply to ISJ HPacheco

Well, as we've been saying, there's absolutley just no way these files could need the world ready or conditional text plugins without having passed through a version of ID that includes them. I'd love to be able to send you a file history on one of these. It might give you a clue about what happened.

So you understand what the file history records, find an old file that you can still open, then hold down the Ctrl key on Windows or the Cmd key on Mac while choosing About InDesign from the Help (Windows) or InDesign (Mac) menu and you'll get an expanded "about" dialog. The lower left box in that dialog will show you a complete list of every time the file was opened and saved since creation or conversion, on what OS, and in what build of InDesign, and whether the file was converted from Pagemaker or Quark, or from a .inx or .idml file, or even if it was recovered from a system crash.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 6:38 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thank you, Peter. I have just installed CS5 on my home system, so I will send these files to my home computer and sleuth it out there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 3:37 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Same problem for me but with an "inDesign Content Manager" missing plug in message.

Have been online with Adobe sales live chat for the last 3 hours attempting to upgrade my inDesign CS Premium Educational v. 3.0.1  erroneously to inDesign single product v.5. This, after I installed the trail version and it automatically converted all of my existing inDesign files to v.5's. The uninstall converted the icons back to CS 3 but the screen shot attached shows the error that has locked me out of all existing files. With deadlines appraoching.

Where/how may I upgrade this missing plug in, please? I am afraid that if I were to purchase a new full version of inDesign, these files would still present me with this error in opening?

Thank you, a thousands times, for any direction that can be given to help... ShelleyCS3 missing plugin message.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 5:02 AM   in reply to nobledesignmedia

nobledesignmedia wrote:

... Have been online with Adobe sales live chat for the last 3 hours attempting to upgrade my inDesign CS Premium Educational v. 3.0.1  erroneously to inDesign single product v.5. This, after I installed the trail version and it automatically converted all of my existing inDesign files to v.5's. The uninstall converted the icons back to CS 3 but the screen shot attached shows the error that has locked me out of all existing files. With deadlines appraoching.

You've got to be kidding me. Installing a new version does not, not, not ever "automatically convert" existing files -- and that sales rep should have told you so!

It's more likely your system has become confused because of the installing and uninstalling. After installing a new version, your system thinks it should open *all* of your ID files in the new version. Uninstalling it may have kept a few loose ends lingering, and I don't know if you can clean this mess up without loosing your current InDesign as well.

Most important is this: any file you opened with that newly installed version and saved cannot be opened anymore with the older version. That's all, and it's as simple and straightforward as this: no older version of InDesign cannot open files saved with a newer version.

Are you double-clicking the files to open them? If so, try opening them from within InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 5:13 AM   in reply to TLuvJ23

Further, there are no "educational" upgrades, but you are eligible to use the regular commercial upgrades. The cost of the UPGRADE to the entire suite is probably about the same and purchasing a NEW standalone license for ID only (you cannot upgrade single components of a suite package), so you really should go that route. If you still qulify for educational pricing, you can get a new eduaction license (not an upgrade) for even less. Adobe telephone reps can arrarently be pretty dumb about this.

Since 5.5 has been announced, there's a reasonably good chance that if you buy CS5 now you'll qualify for a "free" upgrade (you have to pay a small fee for the disk) when 5.5 is released, if Adobe continues with past practices.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 12:07 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

Thank you so much for your answers, Jongware, But I have to say that I did not open nor save these inDesign files during the inDesign 5 trial on my computer and yet all the icons automatically converted to v.5 art straight away and I have not been able to access them since. Even after uninstalling InDesign 5. I'm running on an iMac 10.6.7, if that helps spot a problem.

So right now I have my old inDesign 3.0.1 CS3 (educational) and all my files that are due to the printer and currently no way to open them.

It feels as though I am being blackmailed by Adobe to spend US$699 to buy a full inDesign 5 and even then, these files may now be trashed forever, costing me countless hours of work. They were books.

I'm afraid to go hunt for an archive back up file in case they too fall into whatever software gap is at work with this. I can't afford to lose those too and I have no other computer.

Feeling totally let down by Adobe now. Turned off and betrayed.

I did try opening the files from inDesign, as you suggested, Same result, I'm afraid.

Should I try downloading another inDesignv.5 trial in the hpes I won't get the same error message. I probably can't install another trial I realize but I'm out of ideas.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 12:12 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Very kind of you, Peter. If buying something/anything would gain me access to my files I would do it right now. But even if I plonked down for the full Production Premium Suite I'm convinced it wouldn't resolve this.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 17, 2011 12:22 PM   in reply to nobledesignmedia
    But I have to say that I did not open nor save these inDesign files during the inDesign 5 trial on my computer and yet all the icons automatically converted to v.5 art straight away and I have not been able to access them since

You have missed the point. The icon change does not mean the file was converted.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 12:24 PM   in reply to nobledesignmedia

Are you on Mac? This is one place where Windows is apparently clearly superior. The icons mean nothing. The Mac OS simply shows the icon for the last version installed for all files unless you have installed Rorohiko's Soxy utility, and both Windows and Mac will open the file in the last installed version if you double-click the filename (again, unless you have Soxy). You DON'T want to try to open old files that way becasue they will open in the wrong version, but even if you do, the should open as Filename(converted) and would require you to actively save as the old file name to overwrite the old version, again, something you should NOT do.

Did you TRY opening the files in CS3 using the File > Open command? What happened?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 12:32 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

I see, John, Well, then the fact that I can not open these files due to the error (seen in screen shot above) must be due to something else unrelated. But isn't it strange that every single one of the inDesign files on my computer all have become unable to be opened with the inDesign app I have only after I installed the v5 trial?

Clearly you can see tech is way over my head, so maybe this makes sense to the pros here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 12:36 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi, yes, Peter, thank you, on an iMac running OS 10.6.7. I promise I neither opened nor saved these files since they were completed last year. (Hence the urgency to work on them now, I let the deadline ride not expecting an issue.)

When I launched the inDesign v 3.0.1 this morning and used the file>open command, I got the exact same error message box (seen in screen shot above) "inDesign Content Manager" update plug-in/upgrade software version.

Which if I knew where to get/how to do I would!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 12:51 PM   in reply to nobledesignmedia

That's the error message that ID CS throws when trying to open a later version file. Are you sure you didn't at some point work on these somewhere else, like at school, and mabye save in a later version? I fall you have on your Mac is CS, they're all going to show you the CS icon, as mentioned above.

Can you post a link here, or send it to me in a private message if you don't want to share with everyone, to one of these files and we can read the file history for you? if you don't have a server, you can send the file to yourself using a service like YouSendIt.com and then use the link.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 17, 2011 1:19 PM   in reply to nobledesignmedia

It sounds like there may be three versions here, not two.

Shelley (nobledesignmedia), you didn't make it easy for us by referring to "InDesign CS v3.0.1" but also to "CS3."

The icons you have displayed are for InDesign CS. Version 3.0.1 is InDesign CS. That is not InDesign CS3. InDesign CS3 is Version 5.

The current version of InDesign is CS5 (which is Version 7). Assuming you downloaded your trial from Adobe a month ago, that would have been Version 7.

It sounds like the files are now CS3 files, not CS files, and not CS5 files.

I'm not sure what the right way to tell...I can think of several bad ways...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 1:22 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Update fyi, Peter, I have attempted to install my CS3 inDesign suite just now and went to all my back up files on other, external, and USB drives --which spotlight info showed hadn't been opened since April of last year mind you, and I got the exact same error message again regarding the content manager plug-in being missing. So two confirms there--I had not opened these files definately and installing didn't seem to replenish the plug-in in question.

Yes, any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I'll attach one of the files that gets this message from my desktop where the trial had been installed so perhaps you can see if that played any role and/or what the heck I can do to give inDesign what it wants on all my inDesign files!

How would I find and then send the file history. As I say, I'm am the opposite of tech competent unfortunately.

I will always be grateful for any help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 1:25 PM   in reply to nobledesignmedia

@ nobledesignmedia; post a screenshot of what you get when you go Help > About Indesign, should look something like this:

1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 1:32 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

The icons you have displayed are for InDesign CS. Version 3.0.1 is InDesign CS. That is not InDesign CS3. InDesign CS3 is Version 5.

Mr. John, you just blew my mind. Terribly sorry for my confusion and naming things wrongly.

The inDesign trial was longer than a month ago, but you could be quite right about its version--I see now there no way I can know what versions of what are what. (The term Byzantine was invented for this example. At least for those uninitiated into the language.)

I will no longer refer to my inDesign application on my computer currently as CS3. I'm looking at the installer disks and all they state is, "Adobe Creative Suite Macintosh Premium Education" And the splash info when that inDesign is launched under "About inDesign" says, "Adobe inDesign CS version 3.0.1"

Thank you for clarifying these terms for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 1:32 PM   in reply to nobledesignmedia

File has to be open to get the history, unfortunately, but if you have a file that opens, you'd get it on your Mac by going to the InDesign Menu (I think) and holding down the Cmd key while choosing "About InDesign" (it's under help on Windows). You'll get an expanded "about" dialog, and the file history is in the lower left quadrant.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 1:36 PM   in reply to Stix Hart

Hello, Stix Hart.... Under "help" there is only a spotlight search field--no pull down to "about inDesign" nor anything else at all. However under "File" there is an "about inDesign" and that screen shot is attached.... Thank you....about inDesign.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 1:37 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes, but absolutely zero of any of my inDesign files will open at all. Zero Zero Zero. None, not even from an external USB thumb drive archive! Nada.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 1:38 PM   in reply to nobledesignmedia

Yup, that's CS, version 3, and you patched it to 3.0.1. I'd love to say that was the last patch, but there actually were two patches labelled 3.0.1, so unless it was the second one (from April 2003) you need to update again.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 17, 2011 1:45 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

By the way, can you please pick a different InDesign file and test and make sure it also doesn't work? Wouldn't want you to be drawing incorrect conclusions from one bad data point...

I'm not sure what the right way to tell...I can think of several bad ways...

OK, so, the least bad way I can come up with is the following.

Download and install Exiftool-8.5.6.dmg for the Mac: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/.

Exiftools is a tool for viewing the metadata and history associated with a wide variety of files.

Then, open Terminal.app and type:

exiftool -j -struct

Don't hit return. Type a space after the last 't'.

Then, drag your InDesign file into the Terminal window, and hit RETURN.

If the output is enlightening, great. If it's really long and confusing, please upload it to pastebin.com and post the link here.

It will tell us the version history of your file and information about it. It will also include some information about the paths and names that are linked inside the file -- on the off chance that is private information you don't want to share publicly, then I guess you can redact it or something. Just don't want you to be rurpsirsed if it matters.

But perhaps you should also send your file to Peter.

Edit: "exiftool" sted "exiftools." Whoops.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 1:44 PM   in reply to nobledesignmedia

Did you uninstall the CS5 demo? If looks as if you did. I'm guessing that probably took out a common file that you needed.

Try reinstalling from the from your suite disk, and run the updater, and see if that works (you may see an option to "repair" in the installer, which should be fine). If that doesn't do it you may have to get more drastic and uninstall, then run the CS5 clean tool (which wil also clean up earlier versions -- see Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool) and finally reinstall from your disks.

Oddly, you are the second person in the past few days who has had this problem (and I have a colleague locally who says she can open her CS3 files, but her client cannot), and I'm wondering if uninstalling the CS5 demo may be the culprit for all of you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 1:46 PM   in reply to nobledesignmedia

Slight yet fruitless update: I got an unrelated much smaller old inDesign file to open by waving off its request for another two plugins ("Spelling Pane"l and "XMedia UI"--"chose "open anyway" and selected to delete missing plug-in data from document), and found a file history, not under About inDesign but rather under "File>File info..." That pulled up a window with a short list on the left hand side with items like "description" and "Camera Data" and "History" but when history was clicked on, the feild in the window was as empty as the bag of chocolate toffee popcorn I went through last night in a tech stupor.

The option for "Camera Data" there tells me this is not the droid I'm looking for.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points