• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set up subscript and superscript to the same word

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone. I use Adobe Illustrator CS4 in a MAC. I want to establish a chemical formula MO3- with Illustrator. It seems that I can only first type NO3, and then set 3 as subscript, afterwards I input -, and set it as superscript. But in this case 3 and – are not consistent in the horizontal position.

So I am wondering how to set up subscript and superscript to the same word at the same time? Thank you very much. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hys3o3,

You may cheat and apply Character>Baseline Shift to individual characters (to move up/down).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

(hys3o3, correct me if I'm wrong) I think that the problem is that the 3 and the - should have the same vertical axis. I was about to go to bed, and haven't worked this out yet.

Peter

Edit: I don't think you can do this in a single text object, but I'd be happy to be overruled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will correct myself: set the cursor between the 3 and the -, then  in the Character Panel set the kerning to something like -400, and you should get what you want.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I hope we shall find out whether the - should be moved up/down and/or back/forth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

I haven't dealt with chemistry in a long time; I think it used to be that the superscript - was after the subscript number, but Wikipedia shows them over-and-under. I thought at first it was the vertical placement we were looking for. This time I am going to bed.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try a character style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see this picture:http://hi.baidu.com/hys850415/album/item/c09b1ebfc091459637d3ca1a.html#

Have you ever used equation editor in Microsoft Word with which it is easy to creat subscript and superscript in the same time? The picture is what I creat NO3- with equation editor. Actually, I want to use Illustrator to create the effect that superscript and subscript are in the same vertical placement, not 3 first and - behind. If Illustrator CS4 has no such function, the only thing I can do is to type in NO3 first (make 3 subscript) and then type - (make it superscript) . Afterwards, try to adjust the placemnt of - to make it similar to be in the same vertical axis with 3. But I still hope Illstator CS4 has had some tools to create subscript and subscript to the same word at one time for users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be not too much trouble.

NO3.jpg

With type as 12 pt, here are the settings:

NO = normal

3 = Subscript, track –500, baseline shift 1 pt (optional)

_ = Superscript, baseline shift 4 pt.

But I've never seen formulae set up like that. What does the overscore over the 3 mean? Long time since I did chemistry, maybe they've changed something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a negative sign, for the valence, or electronegativity, or what ever term they're using these days. The charge of the ion is -1. I couldn't get the tracking to do what I wanted, so I got it with kerning.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, it's formal charge, not a term that was in use when I was studying chemistry. Sounds more like a legal term, to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not a term that was in use when I was studying chemistry.

Nor when I was studying chemistry either. But that was nearly 50 years ago. We learned about valencies but I think negative valencies hadn't been invented then. Probably best left to the boffins anyway.

"Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about." (Hilaire Belloc on microbes)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve's method (using tracking) isn't working for me. I can adjust the tracking but it doesn't seem to have any effect. When I highlight the subscript character (0 in the screengrab) and set the tracking number to –500 nothing happens. The character does become very hard/impossible to select after changing the tracking (why?) hence the vertical black band in the screengrab. Any help would be appreciated as I have several charts to edit/switch into a different typeface and outlining and placing every single character will take me forever! 

Screen Shot 2013-04-29 at 2.38.55 PM.png

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To move the subscript 0, select the superscript 3, then adjust the tracking. Tracking affects placement of the character following the selected one/ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please remember that numbers are never italicized in equations

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

except in design...

(very interesting who's still here ten years later, and who isn't)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it was both up/down and back/forth as mentioned in post #4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would explore Illustrator's Warichu options.

See mordy Golding's tutorial at http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2007/12/ask-mordy-movie-credits-text.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, Mike, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2011 Apr 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kerning.png

I do not think it is allowed to set kerning to a negative value in Adobe Illustrator CS4 (used in MAC). So far from our discussion I think the best way is to set - and 3 in the same y axis. Hope someone can find something better. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read my first posting.

I said track –500, not kern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I said kern, but I figured out the sequence to make tracking work.

hys3o3,

To use kerning, don't select the characters, but put the cursor between the letters you want to adjust, then set the kerning value.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines