Skip navigation
cc781
Currently Being Moderated

Sample rate issues

Jan 10, 2011 1:19 AM

On my PC Desktop, I edit mp3's I download in Adobe Audition 1.5. I  convert them to .Wave files because that is preferred for the systems I  use at the Radio station I work at. I have had zero issues with sample  rates etc...

Now the recent problem I had was I began using Adobe Audition 4.0 on my  new MacBook Pro 13" and have downloaded music and edited. I have saved  as(without changing any settings - bit rate etc...) and when I  transferred those wave files to my Desktop PC, they were distorted in  Winamp. I tried Windows Media Player and they played fine. (It is known  that Winamp has had issues with these sample rates in the past).  Anyways, I began to think that maybe these particular group of files  would not be compatible with the TLC-Scott Studios System at the Radio.

So what I had to do at the Radio was, I grab those files which were Wave  PCM - 44100 Hz Stereo 32-bit - Uncompressed 32-BIT Floating Point  (IEEE) and convert the sample type to 16 bit. That was the only way I  could enter these files into the computer systems.

Now what I am wondering is - If I download an mp3 on my PC and edit  it(check for swears etc...) and save as wave pcm(without adjusting any  settings, just the default);

then I do the exact same thing on my Mac...

Why are there issues with the wav files i transfer from my Mac files to  my PC?

I do the same exact thing to convert the mp3 to wav, I click file, save  as... and select Wave PCM.

Now I'm hesitant to to anymore work with my mac until I get these issues  resolved. Is the solution me saving-as on my mac... and under the  sample type settings, change it to 16 bit? or do I select 'same as  source'?

I just don't understand why these issues would even exist if I am  working with the same exact files and programs.

Please help me out,

C

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2011 1:34 PM   in reply to cc781

By default, all versions of Audition use 32-bit WAV as the preferred file format.  Not all audio applications are compatible with 32-bit audio, however, with radio playback systems being notoriously disagreeable.  It sounds like you may have the Save As dialog on your Windows machine configured to default to 16-bit on export, while it's still configured for 32-bit on the Mac.  On the Mac, if you choose File > Save As and click the "Change..." button next to the "Sample Type" field, you should be able to specify a 16-bit output and this dialog should remember these parameters the next time you choose File > Save As.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 3:10 PM   in reply to cc781

cc781 wrote:

I also just tried what you said on the Mac. Every time I load an mp3 into Audition, I have to manually select the Bit Depth to 16-bit. It doesn't save once I finishing exporting. I also tried to save my 16-bit setting as a preset under 'My 16-bit', but it doesn't load automatically the next time I import another mp3. I then tried save current effect settings as favorite(the star) and that resulted in nothing as well. Is there any way to change the settings in Audition to make the 16-bit the default instead of me always having to select it? For that matter, is there a way to make the default Format Wave PCM as well?

This here.

I am having this exact same issue.

I'm confident you can recreate this issue on your end by taking a large file.  Highlight a selection.  Copy to new.  Then save it.  This is using a file that is currently at 16 bit rate.

I have made a custom setting.  I have tried to save as the source.  Even made a favorite that doesn't seem to convert it when I run it.  But it still goes to 32  bit when I hit save.  I work for a company where we edit audio all day and our requirements are 16 bit.  My editing speed has gone down tremendously for having to change this each time I save a file.

Can we look into how to change the default setting to make it stay?  Or look into the issue where it is not saving the data of the settings you previously used?  I would understand it defaulting back to 32 bit when closing the program, but not right after I've just saved another file.

Looking forward to an answer and a fix that stays.

-Ash

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 12:04 AM   in reply to StereoAsh

Hi,

I agree with all of the comments.  Not being able to save a preset of 44.1/16 bit when saving files is a real pain and completely cramps workflow.  I too have made presets and favourites but that still requires me dragging them from the drop down box at the top of the file converting sub window. 

A fix would be very very much appreciated. 

Thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points