Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

100 GBs compressed to one DVD (Source JPEGs and 720p 60FPS)

Apr 9, 2011 1:48 PM

Is it possible to compress 100 GBs of 720p 60fps (some of the vidoes where 1080p) down to one standard single sided DVD?  I don't care if the quality is bad, I just need to compress it down.  How do I do that? Is it possible? There are also a few JPEGs in there too.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2011 3:16 PM   in reply to zham61

Do you HAVE Encore... and have you tried?

If you have tried... what were your settings, and what was the result or messages?

What is the time length of the file(s) ???

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2011 4:42 PM   in reply to zham61

A couple things.

You realize that Encore will transcode the 720p down to SD, right?

Set the DVD transcode settings to automatic.  If Encore says it won't fit, then it is because it would go below Encore's lowest setting.

Normally, you would take your various assets and edit them in Premiere.  Then bring a smaller number of assets into Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2011 5:37 PM   in reply to zham61

Where do I go to change those setting you're referring to? I'm trying to figure that out.  Ya I figured I could get Encore to change the video to SD, I'm just trying to see what the max I can get on a disk (hopefully all 100 GB) after compression and everything.  I'm not sure where the settings for compression and encoding are and how to "let Encore automatically set it."   Does that make sense? Any help would be fantastic

Right click on an asset (not a timeline) or select several at once.  Pick "transcode settings" and then set to "automatic."

Also, Encore won't recognize some of my JPEGs

Some jpegs include metadata (is that what does it?).  If you open in photoshop and save as jpeg, I think that may work.  You can create an action and do a bunch of them.

Also, I have the dvd assests (inserted to Encore as Timelines) in folders.  Is there a way to make automatic buttons and menus and populate them automatically with the timelines and/or assets in the folders?

Like I said, those sorts of things hould be done in a vidoe editor, not a DVD authoring program.  But see "chapter indexes" in help.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WS185296FB-D1BB-4d52-ABC4- 316DF795FD05.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2011 6:06 PM   in reply to zham61

I am not sure that I am following, though I read the entire thread twice, just to be sure.

Let's step back a bit. Are you editing your HD footage in PrPro, or another NLE program?

If so, what is the full Duration (this would be the Runtime total, if you have multiple Sequences)?

For down-rezzing, I would look at Jeff Bellune's TUTORIAL on going from HD to SD.

If you are trying to write HD direct to DVD, then you can get about 25 mins. of total Duration. Is that what you are attempting to do?

If so, then what is the total Duration of all of your Video Assets?

As for the JPEG's, you must have them in RGB Color Mode, they must NOT be Progressive, and PS can be used to first check, and then to correct those aspects. I would also Scale your JPEG's to fit your Project's Frame Size, rather than trying to feed overly-large images to Encore. The same for PrPro, though with PrPro CS5, the Scaling algorithms have improved. If you are working with camera original JPEG's, you might want to Scale in PS, and then Save_As PSD, rather than go through another JPEG compression. Take a look at this ARTICLE on stills used for Video.

Good luck, and if I am missing something very important, please clarify things for me.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2011 6:36 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

if I am missing something very important, please clarify things for me.

All you are missing is what the point of this student's assignment is!

The assumption I made is that the material has not been edited, they are putting their raw footage in Encore; hundreds of clips.

The point you make that I did not make earlier is that the size of the assets (100 GB) is not really relevant, it is the length of the footage; but we don't know how the jpegs are being handled on the timelines either.

I also forgot earlier to mention that Encore has a limit of 99 timelines and 99 chapters per timeline.  That might come into play here....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2011 12:41 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stanley,

Thanks for that. I have been a bit jet-lagged lately, so my concentration and reading comprehension have been highly suspect.

For the JPEG's, within limits, the Encore SlideShow feature might be useful, however, I do all of my SlideShows in PrPro, to allow for more control, and just Export to an AV file, for Import into En.

And yes, there are limitations, beyond just the Duration, and they may come into play.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2011 6:58 PM   in reply to zham61

I'm going for simple....

No such thing for this many mixed formats, and the total number of clips.

I'm not sure as to the entire duration of all the clips but there are 641 clips that I'm trying to spread over two DVDs (one is 80 GBs and the other is 100 GBs).

All that matters is duration.  100GB of uncompressed material might be less than an hour.  100GB of highly compressed material may be 5 hours.  I fyou have it all loaded abnd linked in Encore, give it a whirl with the automatic transcode settings.  I can't imagine it will work, but that is the simplest (if it does).

I shot the footage with a Canon T2i with settings ranging from HD at 1280 x 720 (59.94 fps) or SD/VGA at 640 x 480 (59.94 fps) with occasional video in 1080p at 24/30 fps.  I'm realizing now that most of the footage is in 640x480 at 59.94fps.

I don't see how to do this reasonably without editing, which means going to Premiere.

Consider the option of putting all the clips of a similar formats (e.g. all 640x480 59.94) in one Premiere sequence.  You can export or dynamic link this to Encore.  Some reports are that Premiere (through Adobe Media Encoder) is downrezing okay.

You can't mix such formats on the same Encore timeline anyway.

All of the JPEGs were shot in RAW and converted to JPEGs with Lightroom 3.3 (there were a few that were shot in JPEGs at a full 5184 x 3456 resolution) but all the JPEGs are in 5184 x 3456 resolution.

See Bill's comment about getting the jpegs down to your final resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2011 8:53 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I completely agree with Stanley. En is ill-suited to handle all the mixed format material, but by using Sequences in a PrPro (yes, Premiere Pro) Project, you can combine the footage, per format/Frame Size, and then can Export to a common format, with a CODEC like DV-AVI. Those will Import easily into En.

You can easily choose which Sequences you wish to Import for each En Project (do one per DVD disc).

For the HD to SD material, see Jeff Bellune's TUTORIAL to keep the quality up. This might be more than you want to do, but having the knowledge will let you choose.

If the Durations of your chosen Sequences is getting too long for a 2-DVD-5 set, you might want to consider doing a 2-DVD-9 (DL) set, to allow for a higher bit-rate, i.e. higher quality.

Good luck, and do not hesitate to post back, if you hit any snags.

Hunt

PS - In PrPro, you can set up the columns in the Project Panel, so that the Duration of each Sequence is right at the front. This will help you adjust the total Duration for the En Projects. I would also download WFTimecode Calculator, to simplify the math of the Duration TimeCode.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 9:17 AM   in reply to zham61

Stan in message #10 and Hunt in #11 told you... and I will say again

You are trying to make Encore do something it is not designed to do... you need to EDIT your clips in PPro, and create an edited output that you then give to Encore for authoring

Since a DVD is, by specification, SD (Standard Definition) video at 720x480 size, you need to load your clips into PPro and export as DV AVI and then give that file to Encore for authoring

The individual CS5 pages also have links to the CS4 user guide pages
    CS5 User Guides - online and PDF (see link in upper right corner at individual pages)
    http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for- creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 9:51 AM   in reply to zham61

So we've all pointed to editing in Premiere as the only reasonable way to do this.

So I decided to take the time to add up the duration of all the 641 clips and wow, who would have thought it would be soooo long! 16 HOURS!  So with 16 hours with of video (between the two DVDs) is there any hope of getting 8 hours of video on each DVD?

My rule of thumb: 2 hours per disk okay quality; 4 hours per disk very poor, but Encore might do it.  any more per disk I suspect Encore will reject a datarate that low.

Also, because I only occasionally filmed in 1080p at 30 fps, what if I deleted all those clips and just included the 1280 x 720 (59.94 fps) and 640 x 480 (59.94 fps--because they are the same frame rate would Encore be able to handle it?

You can't mix different formats on the same time line.  so you had to separate them anyway.  Deleting a small part of what you shot will not make this any more likely to fly.

There are only a few clips that I need to shorten duration with, other than that, all the clips are exactly how I need them to be in terms of content and length.  I'm trying to avoid having to take all the time to create everything in PrmPro (also I don't know how to do that "link" function which you guys are referring to).

It is true that at this point, your only success will involve some luck.  If your not lucky with Premiere, well, you're just outa luck!  (All this said in a commiserating, sorta been there, kind of sympathy.)  The big time issue will be transcoding.  That is going to happen in either system.

Open Premiere.  Import one of your clips.  Drag it to the new item icon.  Click on the timeline of the sequence that is created.  Go to File -> Adobe Dynamic Link (or is it Export?), "Send to Encore".  It will open a new Encore project with that sequence.  That is all there is to "dyamic link."

Instead of that little experiment, you import all your clips to Premiere, I think separated into bins (folders) by the format.  Now put them in the order you want into a sequence.  I would create several sequences based on content also.  So you've got let's say 8 sequences, 4 720 and 4 480.  Any sequence that is less than 3 hours would make one DVD.  You wouldn't even need to worry about multiple dynamic linked sequences.

Be sure you set you Encore preferences to using Adobe Media Encoder for transcoding.  If you are 64 bit, it will be faster.

In Encore, set the transocode setting for the DL'd sequence to "Automatic."  My suggesting is do not try to get more than 3 hours.  Do any menu work.  (simplest: one menu, one button to the one timeline.)  Then right click on the sequence and pick transcode now.

Your only simple option for 2 disks?  Forget Premiere.  Pick no more than 3 hours of your 720 footage.  Put that on one disk.  Same for the 480.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2011 8:07 PM   in reply to zham61

zham61 wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to get at... Is there any chance, even at the "lowest" setting for DVD (whatever that is) that you could fit that much footage (in terms of duration) on two DVDs? 16 Hours, 8 hours each DVD. 

Only if your camera was locked down (ie. on a tripod) and there is very little motion in the frame (ie. just a guy standing at a podium, or a talking newscaster head).  And only if the footage isn't noisy and is well-lit.  If every single condition is met, you could get between 4 and 8 hours onto a DVD-9 depending on how much motion there is.

It would make much more sense for you to just spend $150 on a blu-ray burner and make a blu-ray instead, since some of your footage is 720p anyway.  A blank BD-25 is roughly $2-$3 right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 8:30 AM   in reply to MobyTrix

I agree with Moby. Even if you CAN squeeze that much material onto a DVD, with the lowest possible bit-rate, it would be painful to watch, even in the best of conditions, and of little use. A FAX of a FAX, of a FAX, of a FAX of a FAX would look better.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 12:07 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

DVD shrink, DVD rebuilder?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 5:48 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann Bens wrote:

DVD shrink, DVD rebuilder?

No, those programs can't break the laws of physics any more than Adobe Media Encoder can.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 5:49 PM   in reply to zham61

zham61 wrote:

Yeah I would love to do the Bluray, but the the format is useless to most students as we don't have a way to play them.  Also, the school doesn't have a bluray player....

Then you should plan on a realistic goal, like 4 hours of video per DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 7:13 PM   in reply to MobyTrix

And, there is nothing wrong with a multi-disc DVD set. Use DVD-9's, and just do four of them. There are companies, that offer DVD "wallets" for multi-disc sets.

@OP - good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points